Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets
Price: $69.99 - 79.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days. (Monday, Dec 26 to Tuesday, Dec 27) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Amazon - Google Shopping Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/12/2016 - $69.99 - 79.99 (Woot-off)
11/28/2016 - $69.99 - 79.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (3 comments)
11/25/2016 - $69.99 - 79.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)

This is the OLD Fire which was produced in 2012. Amazon sold its new 2016 8" HD Fire with Alexa for $59 a few days ago. The 4G LTE isn’t worth much to me.
Heres a link to Amazons page where they offer you a $12 gift card for this model.
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-HD-9-inch/dp/B008GFRE5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482512157&sr=8-1&keywords=Amazon+Kindle+Fire+HD+8.9

As someone who owns lots of Fire Devices, this is pretty much the least good device unless your goal is an inexpensive device with large internal-only storage to the exclusion of all other features.

Basically, this tablet is only an improvement over the FireHD 7s Amazon sold for $30 a few weeks ago. The HD8 is a generally better device in a similar form factor. The HDX 8.9, were one to find one at a remotely comparable price, would really be the jewel of the product line.

There’s not much CPU, RAM or GPU by current standards. This guy has relatively large storage capacity, but it also has trouble rendering graphics-heavy PDFs or Comic-book files.

I’d give this a pass in favor of a current HD8. The ones with card reader. Those are still getting software updates and are a bit more capable hardware, let alone form factor and display quality.

EXCEPT, the current HD8 has only 1280x800 display (at a crappy 153 DPI). At least this model has FHD+ and much finer dot pitch.

Given how bad the battery performance has been on the brand new (just-manufactured) Fire I bought this year… I think a 2012 model will have major battery issues. Woot should say when these were manufactured, at least.

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago on the WootOff and not only did I get the wrong model in shipping (8gb storage and no LTE), but Woot Returns said they didnt have the correct model to swap out, so I had to return it. What gives Wooty?

Why would the battery in the old model have anything to due with the 2016
model?

I bought this Kindle last time it was for sale on woot but would not do it again. Although the Fire OS is basically Android I could not get the Amazon app store to install without rooting it and installing an Android OS ROM which would not support the 4G modem so I was limited to WiFi. Its older technology so nobody is developing any more Android ROMs. Also, AMazon constantly pushes full screen adds on it, you have to pay them $15 to get the add shut off. If you think $90 is a good deal for a Amazon point of sale terminal, go for it because that’s basically what it is.

I’m sorry. This is new inventory.

I bought one of these on Woot! a couple months ago. Complete waste of money. This is a Gen 2 (2012) and will not run the latest version of Fire OS. I am very disappointed with this purchase since the new ones are around the same price.

Amazons Trade in Program will give you a $12 gift card for this model. That should give you a better idea of what it is actually worth in todays market.

Is a 128GB iPhone 6+ only worth “up to $163.97”?

No.

Just as a car dealer offers a trade-in value lower than what they’ll retail it for, Amazon is in the market to profit off reselling it afterwards. They’re not going to give you “market value” for it.

Here’s my situation: Mom recently had a stroke, basically home-bound. She loves to read and watch some shows; the kicker is she doesn’t even have internet (therefore no wi-fi). The product description says cellular service is NOT included. Does that mean I would have to provision an AT&T cellular account to enable her to use this feature?

Correct and watch the data plan. It might be cheaper to get her internet and let her watch it via Wi-Fi. She can do everything over the internet and not have data overage charges. Unless you can get an unlimited data plan.

I know lots of folks love to hate on Woot, but for those without a dog in that fight and trying to decide based on the product’s merits… I bought one of these from Woot in fall 2014 for considerably more money and not regretted it one bit.

The absolute critical component is the screen and they are great in that regard, better than current gen devices for sure.

Close second on importance is the build quality. After 2 years of hard use by 3 kids it still works and functions great, battery holds a charge just fine, and so, again, no complaints. (knock on wood)

We’ve not had occasion to need LTE, but it’s a nice feature that won’t be obsolete anytime within the reasonable life of the device.

Finally, as far as the OS software version, it plays Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, the entire suite of Blackboard Math apps (there’s an undiscovered gem, btw, though they’ve renamed it EG Classroom), every web page I’ve ever visited, and a million more or less disposable games. I have no idea what else anyone would want.

Now, in the interest of completeness, two things that it does miss: rear facing camera and a little more horsepower for video chat/Skype. It is functional for Skype, but certainly not fabulous.

Cheers & good luck.

I bought one of these a few years ago as Certified Refurbished when Amazon had them on sale. I paid about twice this much for it. I’ve used it a lot ever since. It’s a first rate Fire tablet, much nicer than the new ones. I have a new one and this is much to be preferred.

Barry

Because those of us that have purchased several versions of the device know that battery issues and premature bricking without a repair path are constant problems.
This particular model has been good for me but our family have versions on either side of this that are useless.
Kindle customer support has been woeful!

Bought this with the expectation that it would be as advertised. The ad said “advanced polarizing filter and custom anti-glare technology”.
Not True!
I get glare all the time except when I read books on it in the dark.