Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablets

Last time I saw one these posted, a fellow wooter pointed out that you cannot change the sim (that’s why it is advertised as being for AT&T). Can someone confirm? I specifically asked this question because I would love to be able to put my data-only project fi sim in one of these and that was the response I got.

I got one recently and it seems very laggy. Especially with web and google maps (it is a fast connection, every other device I have seems fast). Is this a common issue (is yours the same?)

My main complaint is the weight. Much heavier than my Google Nexus 7 which is a perfect tablet in my opinion.
Tried to hack this to get the Google Play store but the hack did not work with this version of the OS.
Buyer’s remorse…

Does anyone know if the battery will fit an 8.9 hdx? My battery died a while back so I bought one of the new Fires as a replacement, but I really miss the hdx so if I could replace its battery with this one that would be great.

I bought one last time and really like in the month or so I have had it. Great screen, surprisingly good speakers. I only use it for a few tasks - sheet music, watching videos, and a bit of reading - and it does these very well.

When I got mine, there was a message that I could get a data plan from AT&T for 49.99 for a year (at least initially), but I never bothered to sign up.

And yes, the OS is more clunky than the current ones, but come on - at this price, I will take a little inconvenience.

why buy used when you can get a brand new one with full warranty for about $35 more used battery vs new battery?

This one appears to have a better display than the new ones. The “All New Fire HD 8” on Amazon shows a 1200x800 display, while this one has a 1900x1200 resolution. This one also offers more storage. The new models only come in 16 or 32 GB versions, while this one offers a 64 GB version. I guess Amazon decided to go after a lower price point with the new models or something.

If I did that, business at my screen repair shop would plummet!

Can I use these WiFi-only & never sign up for a data plan? I have a LTE hotspot & don’t want/need another data plan.

I’ve owned mine since new and the answer is yes. Sluggish when opening apps and slow when browsing internet compared to the HDX. Less ram and slower processor is the reason.

Yes, no problem there.

Yes. You can go into wireless settings and turn mobile network off.

Check this out…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1103062-REG/kindle_b0083ulmii_cover_case_for_kindle_fire.html

So… can anyone confirm if the sim card is switchable or does it have to utilize the AT&T one only?

Thanks!

The only info we have is that Amazon says it’s AT&T.

Got one of these back in early 2014 as a refurb’. Loved it!! Great resolution; did everything well for back then. It was stolen from our place in Costa Rica; called Amazon and had it ‘bricked’. Swore that I would never get another one I was so ‘pissed off’; I am currently rethinking that oath;-) I may hold out for an HDX; same thing twice and all that.

Mine is the same. I’m on my 4th Kindle (due to my propensity for leaving it on planes, not because of product issues,) and while it’s indispensable as a reader/store, it’s useless as an actual tablet computer.

I would gladly pay an extra 50 bucks for some processing power and RAM…even if it’s just enough to bring it to parity with other tablets.

There’s a seller on Ebay who has a handful of authentic Amazon covers. Those are the best, they put the tablet to sleep when you close it and wake it when you open it plus they fit the best.

Get one here

“Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii is not available for this item.”
Why? Why? Why? Why???