Amazon Tap: Alexa-Enabled BT Speaker

I love my Tap! If you’re in a small space, this is the way to go. I also have a “Dot” and the remote makes it much easier to use, but the Tap also doubles as a Bluetooth speaker that you can take anywhere, without having a power cable attached. The Amazon Unlimited Music for one device is $3.99 a month and the Tap would be my choice to use it with.

If you have an Echo (big one), just buy a battery for it. I’ve heard the Tap & the speaker quality is not as good as the Echo. Battery basically turns your Echo into a portable speaker. Also they are $30-$50. Also own a few Dots (not good for speaker but great for Automation purposes & can plug / bluetooth into nicer speakers). Tap has too many annoying features (timing out causes lose bluetooth) for me.

I would take a deep look at the reviews of the Tap before purchasing it. No doubt that the Alexa features for the Echo devices are handy. And the portability of the Tap is handy. At one time, the Tap only worked, even as a Bluetooth speaker, with a WiFi connection. I’m not sure if that’s still the case, but I would do some research.

I have a Tap. I also beta tested the Echo and I have a dot (1st gen) as well.

If you know what you’re getting, the tap is a great device. If you’re going to spend money on a decent quality BT speaker, $80 for a tap is a better deal.

I use it for the portability. I don’t have BT in my car, so I use it to listen to my podcasts from my phone. My three-year-old walks around the house with it asking her to tell her jokes or play Universal Fanfare by Minions over and over and over and over again. We bring it on picnics and we take it outside if we’re playing and blowing bubbles.

The speaker quality is exactly what I’d expect from a BT speaker with a good max volume.

If you do not have Wi-Fi avaialable, you can still use it as a BT speaker. The only warning is that you can’t press the button and say “connect Bluetooth” without wifi. You have to initiate the connection from your transmitting device. If you have wifi, you can press the button and say “connect Bluetooth” and it will. If/when you’re out of wifi range, it will continue the BT connection.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the Tap. It’s a great portable BT speaker with a respectable battery life that also happens to have the advantage of Alexa. If you’re looking to use this in your home on a counter or something, you’re better off with the Echo or the Dot.

I have totally bought into the Alexa life and I’m a huge fan of the offerings and the way it’s evolved over the past couple years. If you have questions on any of it, let me know.

I’ve bot three of these and think they are great. The portability is great. I’ve used it at least eight hours on a charge. I take it all over the house, even outside.

My only issue is the price. During the holiday sales I bot one of these from Amazon for $80 and another one from Best Buy for the same price. These were NEW units with a full warranty. They were actually cheaper than this deal considering the shipping was free.

If you missed out and still want one of these, i expect this will still turn out to be a good deal. If you wait, you may find a new one for the same price.

I want a Tap that can double as an Echo, at least while in the charging cradle. Really wish there was a way to turn on always-on listening mode. If that functionally is added, I’m sold.

Tap is definitely a good “have at your desk, but maybe you want to take it with you sometimes” kind of speaker. Is it as convenient the Echo or Dot in terms of lacking physical interaction? No. Is it fun to hit the button on your co-worker’s Tap and say “Play Boyz II Men End of the Road” and walk off? Yes. Yes it is. Or while they’re at lunch, tell it to set alarms for random times throughout the afternoon? Classic.

I ordered one of these, but I received a Hank Williams album instead. This feels like a cruel joke…very cruel. I hope there are some Taps left so I can still get one at this price!

That’s super weird! I’m so sorry that happened. If you haven’t already, please use the Customer Service form for assistance.

Came today no charger base or cord useless

Well, crap. Please use the Customer Service form for assistance. Let’s see what they can do.

Ordered one that came without a base or charger as well. Emailed customer service and they replied at 10:30 PM New Years Eve. Incredible customer service response but I do hope they at least had a cocktail in their hand. At any rate a replacement is on the way and hopefully the issue is resolved. UPDATE: Replacemt arrived today with charging base and cord. THANKS for the quick follow up!

Glad to know I’m not the only one with this issue. I just received my replacement tap from Woot after the first tap came without a charging base and cord, and again it came without the charging cradle and cord.

Been using this for a year or so and it still works great.