AmazonBasics 10.2 Gbps High-Speed 4K HDMI Cable

AmazonBasics 10.2 Gbps High-Speed 4K HDMI Cable

guy GIF

5 Likes

Just so we’re on the same page, these seem fine, but have some limitations…

These cables - The 10.2 Gbps bandwidth is technically capable of true 4K/UHD resolutions at 30Hz, enough for some film sources, but not much else. However, that is the bandwidth and limitation of the HDMI 1.3 specification, which has basically been around since the PlayStation 3 in about 2007, and is not normally capable of practical usage for HDR or advanced audio like Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, as those were not introduced until the next revision.

HDMI 2.0 is the specification most frequently associated with 4K/UHD resolutions and HDR, at 60Hz. This has a requirement of 18Gbps bandwidth, which this cable does not guarantee. This speed and connection is what the PS4/XB1, and most modern streaming devices (FireTV 4K, AppleTV 4K, etc) use to transmit the HDR video at higher bit depths, or with additional height channels to the audio.

HDMI 2.1 is the newest (not counting 2.1a, which is a joke) specification, which enables 120Hz, VRR, and a bevy of other features mostly focused on gaming, in a massive bandwidth leap of 48 Gbps. These are what PS5 and XB Series X use. Also supports 8K, which still is barely a thing.

So… These cables are inexpensive, and seemingly good for many basic things. Not good for later generations of gaming, but if these fit your use case, like for a blu-ray player, or audio device, or anything that doesn’t need higher bandwidth 4K/UHD, please go ahead and consider these cables.

15 Likes

But can it support 60W at 5V?? /s

i see what you did there doctor who GIF

2 Likes

Great comment, great gif, just terrific all-around. @ThunderThighs, can we get this great human being a BOC?

2 Likes

I second this request! :clap::rofl:

Um, I did NOT expect the surprise BOC at my door Saturday. You guys are so freaking awesome!! Thank you!!!

@Mithrandir2020
@ThunderThighs

1 Like

They done good. :smiley:

2 Likes

:wink:

1 Like