American Kitchen by Regal Ware 6-Piece Stainless Cookware Set

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
I like Woot, Toow! - wooters.us!

American Kitchen by Regal Ware 6-Piece Stainless Cookware Set [New] - $89.99 + $5 shipping

1 * 8-inch Eco-Satin Coated Fry Pan, 1 * 10-inch Eco-Satin Coated Fry Pan, 1 * 3-Quart Covered Sauce Pan, 1 * 10-inch Covered Sauté Pan, 1 * Lid for 3-Quart Covered Sauce Pan, 1 * Lid for 10-inch Covered Sauté Pan

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

here’s the product website

and the features page there

and the Care and Use Instructions as a pdf

Fry pans seem a bit small. Lifetime warranty is a must have for any teflon coated cookware.

This is the 10-piece set at Amazon, with 20 mostly great reviews.

Why?

By teflon coated do you mean nonstick? These appear to be the “safe” version of the teflon coating.

The non-stick pans in this set are a newer coating, no Teflon or PFOA at all.

I don’t have these exact pans, but I added a couple non-stick pans from Regal’s Marcus line. The ones I got actually look like these though because the base is impact bonded and they have the same handles and say Marcus Impact on the base. The set I added them to is their higher end tri-ply Marcus Samuelsson line and they also have nicer handles.

http://www.amazon.com/Marcus-Samuelsson-10-Piece-Stainless-Cookware/dp/B0017K4YWM

I’m still happy with the non-sticks that look like the ones in this set, especially for the price I got on them through a QVC closeout. The Marcus cost me a lot more though Amazon and buying the tri-ply non-stick would have cost me at least 2x more for each pan.

I haven’t used them a ton to say how the coating holds up, but they are great pans and what is even better is they are made in the USA a short distance from me in Wisconsin. I think this set for sale here is made in their Texas plant, but don’t quote me on that. I’d have to go dig up the news article. Regal actually said they are saving money by making them all in the USA again instead of China due to faster turnaround time leading to higher sales, along with productivity improvements.

I’m in the market for cheap cookware, but these are hand-wash only. No sale.

One thing to note is that while people seemed to be genuinely satisfied with this set, starchy foods (such as potatoes) do not cook well and will stick to the wall of the pot/pan. You have been warned!

A “biodegradable” non-stick finish?.. What exactly does that mean?

They look like Circulon Brand

This cookware will work on all cooking surfaces, including induction cooktops…

Amazon has the two fry pans at 50% off for a total of $70, so this deal gives you the two additional pots and lids for just $25 shipped.

Good deal here.

Why are the fry pans too small or why is a lifetime warranty a good thing? You’d have trouble cooking for more than a few people with a 10 inch pan. As far as the warranty goes, all coatings eventually fail no matter how well you care for them. If you buy from a reputable manufacturer, you have pans for life as long as you don’t mind paying shipping every few years.

The lifetime warranty looks OK to me:

http://www.americankitchencookware.com/documents/AK-L50081-Warranty.pdf

That 10 piece set is on sale (Amazon Friday Sale) today only for $135, which I think is comparable to this deal in value.

For the serious cooks out there notice that the construction of these pots and pans is not “clad” aka “sandwich”; but rather has a “heat-distribution disc” base.

Clad construction is typically a three layer construction where a heat-conducting layer of copper or aluminum is sandwiched between two other metals…such as stainless steel, anodized aluminum, etc. Because the heat conducting metal is uniformly sandwiched and goes up the sides of the pot/pan it allows for more even distribution of heat.

The heat-distribution disc design has that sandwiched construction for the disk which is then attached to the base of the pot/pan. It provides uniform heating to the bottom surface, however the sides of the pots/pans will be considerably cooler and will not have the same amount of heat-distribution and evenness of cooking.

Bottom line, this set is good for most cooking, however it’s not what would be considered “professional grade”. I also would not recommend deep-frying in any of these pans. The non-stick because it could overheat, and the pots will not get as much heating from the sides which will equal uneven frying by taking longer to get back up to temperature once food is dropped in. The same could be said about braising anything with these you may have inconsistent results, with the bottom becoming overcooked.

For the cooking newbies, do not use any metal utensils in the non-stick pans, as they can scratch the surface and impart tiny bits of the coating in your food. (Well maybe you DO want that Teflon stomach after all?) Regardless of what the manufacturer says, don’t use metal cooking utensils in your non-stick, and do not stick them under the broiler.

The ultimate all-in-one pan (if you could only have just one) would be a cast-iron skillet IMO. Superior heat distribution and retention; once it’s well seasoned and broken in, it essentially becomes non-stick; you can fry in it, bake breads or cakes in it, etc.

Actually my favorite egg pan is a cheapo non-stick from IKEA. There’s no way my cast iron can create a light and fluffy egg and allow it to slide off onto a plate the way a non-stick with sloped walls and a generous radius (like the ones for sale here) can.

As for clad/sandwich construction on the “fry pans”, having it on the sides is not really helpful. They would probably work great as a typical sautee pan.

I do agree that cast iron is an absolute staple in a kitchen. I rehabilitated my grandmothers with a die grinder (I think they went beyond “seasoning” and had a 1/4" of who-knows-what on that thing) and it has rewarded me with excellent performance.

That said, a pot that can be moved to the oven is a thing of beauty. The clad sides aren’t quite as critical there since you’ve got even heating from the oven anyway.

I’ve had the 10-piece set for almost a year, and I’ve been very happy with them. (The 10-piece also has a 1-quart saucepan and a 6-quart stock pot with their respective lids.)

Having only used non-stick cookware before, I was wary of the stainless surface, especially for the saute pan. But I knew I was also tired of retiring saute pans early because the Teflon couldn’t cope with the high heat. My fears of constant sticking and difficult cleaning were unfounded. I’ll admit that starchy things (like, say, hash browns) are tough to fry up in the uncoated pan, and are best left to the non-stick skillet. But for getting a good sear on a piece of fish or the like, you can’t beat this style of saute pan. Sometimes you need that little bit of sticking to create the fond for a good pan sauce. And even when things do stick a little–or a lot–cleanup is a lot easier than I had anticipated. Normal washing, without any exceptional elbow grease, is all that’s necessary.

Being stainless steel, the bottoms of the pans and the insides of the non-coated ones may change color over time with exposure to heat, turning a light bronze color. If you don’t like this it’s easy to return them to like-new with a mild abrasive cleaner like Bar Keeper’s Friend. The advantage of the uncoated pans is that you can always scrub them back to their original condition. On the other hand, once a non-stick coating starts to deteriorate, the pan is done for.

I know the care directions say not to put the pans in the dishwasher, but I only take that precaution with the non-stick skillets. The uncoated pans go in the dishwasher and they don’t seem to mind a bit.

Overall, the build quality of these pans is pretty high, especially for the price. They feel weighty, and the sandwiched conduction disk means they have nice thick bottoms that won’t warp. The heat conduction in these pans is great. They respond to changes in heat a lot faster than my previous anodized aluminum pans. I also find myself using significantly reduced cooking temperatures compared to those aluminum pans. Sauteeing at an “8” in the old pans is equivalent to a “5” or “6” with the new ones…on my stovetop, anyway.

The uncoated pans are also engraved inside with capacity markings. If you just need to add a semi-accurate amount of liquid to a pan, these are very handy. Better than measuring out two quarts with a 1-cup measuring cup.

I really, really like the flared, slightly sharp lip on these pans. It means that if you pour a sauce, or drain some grease, you don’t end up with dribbles down the side of the pan. This is always a problem with the straight, thick, blunt edges at the top of may other pans. Since having those drips run down and get on the bottom of the pan is a huge pain with a glass cooktop, I’m very pleased that this set has that feature.

I can’t speak for the potential longevity of the non-stick coating, because I haven’t put them through much abuse. My cooking tends to be saucepan and saute pan-heavy, and skillet-light. I will say, however, that I wish the transition from bottom to side in the skillets were just a bit more rounded. Omelettes slide out eaily enough, but there’s room for improvement there.

There are a few things I’m not crazy about with the American Kitchen set. The lid handles don’t stay cool for very long. If you’re simmering something, covered, in the saucepan for more than 5 or 10 minutes, you’re going to want a potholder to take that lid off. I haven’t had the same problem with other lids in the past.

The handles on the pans themselves could be a bit more ergonomic. They have harsh edges that can be uncomfortable to hold for any significant time when they’re full and the weight is cantilevered off the end. But the number of times I need to suspend a full saucepan in midair are infrequent enough that I don’t think it’s a huge concern.

Also, the sizes of the pans are a bit on the small side. This is fine for me, because I only cook for two. But even so, I’m pushing the limit of what a 10-inch saute pan is good for, and I think 12 or 13 inches would be better. The skillets are similarly a bit small. But I still think these are great one- or two-person meal makers.

All in all, I’d certainly recommend this set, and think it’s a steal for $90. They cook well, are well-built, and look pretty good, too. Properly used and properly cared for, I have no doubt that they’ll last a long time. Dollar for dollar, you probably won’t find better.