CT links above

Winery website

Andrew Murray on Facebook
Andrew Murray on Twitter
Andrew Murray on Yelp

Previous offers:
11/16/09
6/21/10

How does the 2007 Great Oaks compare to the 2006?

Just had the 2006 last night, and it was great.

$7.00 shipping? We’re being gouged!

Was 2007 as good a year in the Santa Ynez valley as it was in most of Napa?

The Terra Bella Vineyard Syrah that’s 70% of the Reserve bottling was up in the previous Woot that I’m sure Cesare linked up by now. Here are my notes on that one:

These are very “international-style” wines, but I wouldn’t let the high ABVs scare you off if you’re into that sort of thing - the fruit and acid can handle it reasonably well. They’re still just too over the top for my tastes, though. Big shocker, but I prefer the TLC at half the price.

I’d like to personally thank all of the CT people who left a numerical rating rather than any text and thoughts. The 85 rating w/ a description of the Great Oaks is far more important to me than stanoak leaving a 95 with nothing to substantiate it.

Look at his other tasting notes. He’s managed to post over 500 notes and award only five scores - 75, 80, 85, 90, and 95, practically all without further notes. What a splendidly useful fellow.

Thanks for the heads up. Shipping should be $5. Working on getting it changed.

BTSB George

I saw that too! At least say “Enjoyed with fries” or something to indicate more about the experience.

Someone has to ask: can we have the TA, pH, and the ABV numbers for the reserve please?
I am shooting for my first QP here, just so you know…, :slight_smile:
rk

I’m gonna have to give him a 55.

Searching the web, I can’t believe how many Syrah labels have come from this winery. Obviously they make other varietals too, but they seem to be Syrah mavens. I wonder just how different the 3 here at Woot will be.

So how do they find time for tennis? :wink:

The reserve, which goes for $50 on the winery website, is a blend of their best Syrahs from 3 different vineyards.

“Using the less specific Central Coast appellation allowed me to choose Syrah from Terra Bella Vineyard in Westside Paso Robles, Thompson Vineyard near Los Alamos, and the McGinley Vineyard in Santa Ynez. The resulting Syrah is DELICIOUS! It is impossibly dark, nearly black, with aromas and flavors of blueberries, raspberries, black cherry, white pepper, cinnamon and vanilla and toasty oak. The wine envelops your palate and leaves you with a long, weighty, viscous and smooth finish. It tastes AWESOME now, but it will improve over the next 3-5 years in the bottle.”

CT has no reviews, and I can’t find any on the web. Given the description, any comparison with another vintage is clearly questionable. It’s obviously not for those who don’t like big syrahs.

Has anyone tried this?

People say that Andrew Murray defines extracted, ripe Syrah, but that it’s balanced and super tasty.

First page hegemony?

No, p2002 is not an idiot. Ah wtf, it’s Thanksgiving time! I do not want this retarded woot filter crap too early!

:slight_smile:

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a thread now!

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

Ahem…
For this wine, we decided to pick the best 6 barrels in the winery for further aging–thus the Reserve designation. We then decided to choose the barrels exclusively on their merits and not on their vineyard or appellation of origin. Our only hindrance was that the final blend had to be 100% Syrah from the 2007 vintage. Using the less specific Central Coast appellation allowed me to choose Syrah from Terra Bella Vineyard in Westside Paso Robles, Thompson Vineyard near Los Alamos, and the McGinley Vineyard in Santa Ynez. The resulting Syrah is DELICIOUS! It is impossibly dark, nearly black, with aromas and flavors of blueberries, raspberries, black cherry, white pepper, cinnamon and vanilla and toasty oak. The wine envelops your palate and leaves you with a long, weighty, viscous and smooth finish. It tastes AWESOME now, but it will improve over the next 3-5 years in the bottle. This wine is not to be missed! Robert Parker recently tasted and awarded the 2006 Vintage 90 Points! He had this to say about the Reserve… “Another impressive effort is the 2006 Syrah Reserve, which offers a fragrant bouquet of black fruits, spring flowers, camphor, and a hint of new saddle leather. Full-bodied with silky tannins, well-integrated acidity, loads of fruit, a long finish, and no evidence of wood, it should drink nicely for 5-7 years.”

After last years Andrew Murray Syrahs from Woot, this is an autobuy for me. Very good and meaty wines. Dark, great fruit, really rich syrahs. Absolutely worth it.

In for 3.

I still don’t understand why anyone with the least knowledge of, or interest in, wine pays any attention whatsoever to ratings on Cellar Tracker.

De gustibus non est disputandum.