Another Question about Colors in Photoshop

One of the reasons I submit my designs in Illustrator vector format is that I have something of an old-school education when it comes to Pantone colors in Photoshop.

I know woot prefers you submit with your own Pantone colors chosen. Easy enough in Illustrator. But how do you set it up in Photoshop?

Just create a CMYK document, keep your colors on distinct layers, and then name the layers your PMS colors?

Just do it in CMYK and let the wootkind figure it out?

I’d be tempted to over complicate things and make individual channels out of specific Pantone colors. Back in the day I used to create separated DCS sets (I’m guessing most people don’t even know what that is).

I don’t know how woot does it on their end, and I always try to pass off clean files.

I’ve resisted using Photoshop because of this, but I dig some of the texture opportunities it could present.

Would this guide that Travis wrote help?
https://shirt.woot.com/blog/post/design-tips-weve-got-pms

Thanks, that definitely does help - it confirms my suspicions of “Now, this is by no means a perfect system. We’ve found that you can do a side-by-side comparison of the same Pantone Swatch in Photoshop and Illustrator and see two slightly different colors.” - close is good enough! :slight_smile:

I’ll label my layers with my intended Pantone colors.

Yes, as long as you have an approximate Pantone color then your design will print with accurate colors. It could only be an issue when designs have totally random colors that could be/could not be close to a Pantone. In that case we may have to drastically change a color which makes ppl sad.