another website annoyance

Looking at the Woot products’ detail image involves a Javascript with 'onblur=“self.close()” '. So in Firefox, when I look at the image, it pops up in another tab as it should. But when I switch tabs the image’s tab goes away all by itself even if I’m not done with it. It’s just an image- why the containing html and Javascript?

In general, the new Woot is script-heavy. If the new approach is to increase the site’s usability, all the scripts make it impossible for the non-savvy user to bookmark or link to various pages. For example, try showing someone page 50 of the last BOC thread.

Yeah, ya’ can only link to the first page of the thread.

you can link to particular posts.
each post has an ID.
so your post above mine is [url]http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=81554[/url]

each post has an ID.
so your post above mine is [url]http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=81554[/url][/quote]

Boy, is my face red. Thanks, GC.

[quote user=“GallopingCow”]you can link to particular posts.
each post has an ID.
so your post above mine is [url]http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=81554[/url][/quote]

Right but you can’t just right-click and do it. You have to figure out the post ID. Likewise, you can add a PageIndex parameter to get to or bookmark a specific page but the forum page’s interface doesn’t have a field that lets you jump to any page number. This isn’t useful for non-savvy users. Besides, fixing all this stuff is fairly trivial.

The image uses javascript to resize the window. Otherwise we’d have to have a giant (largest case) window always, which would look silly and be confusing when the pic wasn’t nearly that size. I think the self-blur bit seemed cool at first, but I do agree it can be annoying, so I’ve added it to our list of things to look at changing.

I also added to our list adding permalinks to each post, so you could right-click, copy link location, and use that as a url to target that specific post. Like you said, this shouldn’t be too hard, though we’ve got some pretty high priority things we’re currently working on.

We do listen to everyone’s feedback, btw, and yours has been especially clear and helpful. Feel free to email me (dave at woot) if you’ve got any more issues/suggestions to tweak. (Or keep posting them, I try to keep up with stuff here.)

Ah, something that I overlook because I use tabbed browsing.

The current Javascript approach also prevents right-clicking on a page link in order to load a different page in a new window/tab.

All right, that’s fixed. You may need to shift-reload to get the new code (or wait 'til the cache runs out…something like 4 days), but the detail pop-up no longer closes on blur.

Fixing the forum stuff will be trickier, since that’s someone else’s code we have to dig through, and they’ve got those page-nav post/get things pretty heavily ingrained. Still, it is a thing I’d like to get done eventually.

Huzzah! Any plans to put up multiple product images ala NewEgg? :wink:

Maybe this has been covered, but I searched and couldnt find it anywhere.
How about page-number links at the top of the thread page not just at the bottom?
Small detail, I guess, but would make life a little easier.

!

Yeah, ya’ can only link to the first page of the thread.

each post has an ID.
so your post above mine is http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=81554

Boy, is my face red. Thanks, GC.

Right but you can’t just right-click and do it. You have to figure out the post ID. Likewise, you can add a PageIndex parameter to get to or bookmark a specific page but the forum page’s interface doesn’t have a field that lets you jump to any page number. This isn’t useful for non-savvy users. Besides, fixing all this stuff is fairly trivial.

The image uses javascript to resize the window. Otherwise we’d have to have a giant (largest case) window always, which would look silly and be confusing when the pic wasn’t nearly that size. I think the self-blur bit seemed cool at first, but I do agree it can be annoying, so I’ve added it to our list of things to look at changing.

I also added to our list adding permalinks to each post, so you could right-click, copy link location, and use that as a url to target that specific post. Like you said, this shouldn’t be too hard, though we’ve got some pretty high priority things we’re currently working on.

We do listen to everyone’s feedback, btw, and yours has been especially clear and helpful. Feel free to email me (dave at woot) if you’ve got any more issues/suggestions to tweak. (Or keep posting them, I try to keep up with stuff here.)

Ah, something that I overlook because I use tabbed browsing.

The current Javascript approach also prevents right-clicking on a page link in order to load a different page in a new window/tab.

All right, that’s fixed. You may need to shift-reload to get the new code (or wait 'til the cache runs out…something like 4 days), but the detail pop-up no longer closes on blur.

Fixing the forum stuff will be trickier, since that’s someone else’s code we have to dig through, and they’ve got those page-nav post/get things pretty heavily ingrained. Still, it is a thing I’d like to get done eventually.

Huzzah! Any plans to put up multiple product images ala NewEgg? :wink:

Maybe this has been covered, but I searched and couldnt find it anywhere.
How about page-number links at the top of the thread page not just at the bottom?
Small detail, I guess, but would make life a little easier.