Anyone have car audio experience?

I lucked into an xm-ds1300p5 xplod sony amp and speakers and box that can handle it - I have a 1 farad capacitor I’ll be putting in - will that be enough to keep my lights from blinking - and are there any tips on how to maximize the sound?

You spelled flux wrong. It’s f-l-u-x capacitor, not farad. Jeez. Don’t you know anything about time travel?

[quote user=“Binaural”]

You spelled flux wrong. It’s f-l-u-x capacitor, not farad. Jeez. Don’t you know anything about time travel?[/quote]

I have the flux capacitor installed with a Mr. Fusion - but I need to know if the Farad Capacitor will drain the system when 'Woot, there it is" thumps out at 800 watts.

That must be one big mother…um. Yeah, a big mother. I’ve actually never seen a full Farad capacitor. Of course, it all depends on the voltage it can handle, I guess.

I’ll post pictures when i get it wired in.

Scratched the plexi-glass on the speaker housing getting in - Ford/Mercury make DEEP trunks, but leave you small holes to put stuff in. I went from a trunk big enough to hide two bodies to a civic trunk putting the darn thing in.

I’m afraid to ask how you know your trunk would hold 2 bodies…

runs and hides

[quote user=“tall4agirl”]I’m afraid to ask how you know your trunk would hold 2 bodies…

runs and hides[/quote]

Well, that’s the thing. The trunk could probably hold more than two bodies, but only if they weren’t intact (the bodies).

Also, if he ever went to college, I bet there was some point where he and a bunch of friends wanted to go somewhere, and two (or more) of them had to ride steerage.

[quote user=“tall4agirl”]

runs and hides[/quote]

Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies.

[:)]

Have to get some 8 gauge wire tomorrow - had to rerun the 10 disk changer to under the passenger seat because the thump will make em skip if I leave them in the trunk.

Wired the positive side of the system from the battery to the farad capacitor in the trunk - took a lot of time since I don’t want any of this to be visible. I’ll work on it again tomorrow - bought two hours left and I’ll be thumping.

And no - I didn’t drive with two friends in the back - but yes, a 2001 ford Mercury sable can fit two people in the trunk, and still have some room for bags.

info on the farad capacitor - reading that I might have problems charging it initially

1-farad cap for systems of up to 1,000 watts RMS

16-volt maximum (20-volt surge)

Oh, a 16-volt 1F capacitor shouldn’t be THAT big. I’ve never actually worked with any capacitors (even small ones) with that small a voltage rating. Of course, I’ve also never worked with car electronics…

i’m just trying to find out if it’ll handle the 800 watt amp on peak - I’ll prolly only be running 200 to each of the two speakers until I upgrade the radio - just need to know if I should spend 110 for another capacitor, or spring for a bigger alternator.

Probably the bigger alternator. Pushing that much juice out would likely kill your current one pretty quickly. Big thumping would be good for awhile, until you can’t start your car and need to be somewhere.

[quote user=“Binaural”]

Probably the bigger alternator. Pushing that much juice out would likely kill your current one pretty quickly. Big thumping would be good for awhile, until you can’t start your car and need to be somewhere.[/quote]

I thought that’s what the capacitor is for - it shields the drain from the battery by having the amp draw the surge from the capacitor first, then demanding from the battery

[quote user=“dreamaster”]

I thought that’s what the capacitor is for - it shields the drain from the battery by having the amp draw the surge from the capacitor first, then demanding from the battery[/quote]

Well, that would save the battery from cycling, but… The alternator would still be working to fill up both the car’s normal electrical systems and the capacitor. So far as I know, the capacitor basically works as a buffer, holding in the power for the amp. The alternator would have to work harder to fill that capacitor, above and beyond what it normally does. I could be wrong, though.

So I just need to see if the capacitor drains too much power.

Ergot -

I should get another capacitor if the lights blink, and an alternator if the lights don’t blink but the battery drains.

You spelled flux wrong. It’s f-l-u-x capacitor, not farad. Jeez. Don’t you know anything about time travel?

I have the flux capacitor installed with a Mr. Fusion - but I need to know if the Farad Capacitor will drain the system when 'Woot, there it is" thumps out at 800 watts.

That must be one big mother…um. Yeah, a big mother. I’ve actually never seen a full Farad capacitor. Of course, it all depends on the voltage it can handle, I guess.

I’ll post pictures when i get it wired in.

Scratched the plexi-glass on the speaker housing getting in - Ford/Mercury make DEEP trunks, but leave you small holes to put stuff in. I went from a trunk big enough to hide two bodies to a civic trunk putting the darn thing in.

runs and hides