anyone read the Percy Jackson and The Olympians books?

I just finished the 5th book and I know they’re kids books, but I loved them. I’m starting on Rick Riordan’s Egyptian mythology books, The Kane Chronicles next and will read the 2nd Olympians series too.

I’m getting these books from ebookfling.com for my kindle instead of buying them :slight_smile:

Oooo!! Me Me Me!!! Percy made me a huge Rick Riordan fan!!! On Percy’s birthday Amazon had a huge sale on all the books. I got all of them including Son of Neptune (from the Heros of Olympus series). I initially read them from the library, but now I have a hard cover set and two paper back sets to give to my kid’s friends.

I liked the Cain Chronicles. I think the audiobooks are great on those! The voice actors do a really wonderful job as Sadie and Carter. My husband can’t hear so we also got copies of those for him to read.

I’ve also read the 39 Clues which Rick Riordan is one of the contributor for. They aren’t as good, but they are a really fast read and I like the historical aspects in them. Some kids at the school apparently found them too scary though.

I also just read the first book of Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy which is free this month on Amazon for the kindle. On the page Rick Riordan gives it a really glowing blurb (which is why I’m sharing it here).

I’ll have to check that one out. I love free! :slight_smile:

I do too. Joyner (another wooter) recommended I follow Pixel of Ink (they also post on Facebook). 90% of the stuff I’m not interested, but every couple of days I end up downloading a book for either myself or my daughter.

Thanks for mentioning that swap site, I might have to look into that. I was really dismayed when I realized Kindle books were the same price as hardcovers (for the most part) and you can’t resell them. My Kindle was a birthday surprise from my husband because reading small fonts has been getting more difficult for me.

I finished the first book of the kane chronicles this weekend. I liked it, but I thought it was a little darker than the percy jackson books. i think it was because in the percy books, the kids are just kids of the gods and in the kane chronicles they’re possessed by gods, basically. Has a little different meaning to me.

I’m a huge stargate sg-1 fan and it’s based on egyptian mythology so I recognized some names and stuff, which I thought funny. I kept picturing the characters from the show. Also thought it was funny how they worked the mythology into sg-1, like apophis was the serpent god or whatever and the aliens on sg-1 were snakelike and the main bad guy’s name was apophis. it did make me want to learn more about egyptian mythology then watch all 10 seasons of stargate again.

I just started reading the lost hero today.

I think the fact that Carter and Sadie are orphans and have a rough life because of it ages the story as well. Also the ba travel is a lot more frightening than the dreams Percy has. I think there is more of an element of safety in Percy’s world than for the Kanes.

I loved Stargate. I have the box set and have watched twice. We are currently working through Atlantis again (on season 1), Never have seen the last two seasons, but we decided to start over. I don’t watch a lot of TV so it will take me a while to get through.

I wish someone would put the son of neptune up on ebookfling! i don’t want to buy it.

It ends abruptly, now I have to countdown to the next book… I bought it in hardcover, so I don’t have the ebook or I’d lend it to you.

maybe i should wait til it gets closer to the release of the 3rd book.

It ends with the main story at resolution, but the action is about to continue and it stops with the arrival of the next story.

(ie - I was mad at the back cover of the book arriving because I wanted to see what was going to happen when the story arrived. – how’s that for not giving anything away?)

finally got the 2nd book of the kane chronicles series through ebookfling. am only like, 1 chapter in so far.

also, I bought a kindle fire! at first, wasn’t too happy with it, but I’m really liking it. There are some good games out there for it and videos from amazon and hulu play great. Netflix isn’t quite as good, but it’s still great to have.

I love Percy Jackson!!! I have read the entire set. My family and I have been listening to the books as we drive. We have just finished book 4 on audio. I would love a Kindle Fire. I bought a Kindle in the spring and I have loved it. I haven’t purchased any books. I am way too cheap.

I’ve been downloading a lot of free books off of Amazon thanks to http://www.pixelofink.com. Unfortunately, none of them are share-able even when the prices go back up (found that out over Thanksgiving when I was going to hook a friend up with a few stories. My local library know has Kindle lending as well, so we’ve been looking into that.

there are thousands of cheap/free books on amazon. I’ve found some great ones for under $5. Plus, amazon has 100 books a month that are 3.99 or less.

finally got son of neptune! 31% read so far.

:slight_smile: I flew through it in two days (which is fast for me)

Ver1 (my now 7 year old) was given a Kindle for her birthday by her Auntie. Been loading it up with free books (classics and pixel of ink - young edition finds). She’s loving it! The theater teacher told me the school play (in May) will be inspired by 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Moby Di**ck, and The Tempest. I might have to start sneaking more classics on there for her.

I finished the book Saturday, work got in the way of finishing sooner. :slight_smile: Fall 2012 is a long time to wait for the next booK!

I have a ton of classics but haven’t gotten around to reading many lately. I would have loved a kindle when I was 7. Hope our daughter loves reading as much as I did at that age. :slight_smile:

I know right!!! You just hit that last page and your like, now really!?

She’s liking it so far. I loaded her up with stuff and reading is one of her favorite things to do. She’s already planning on taking it in the car for the 6 hour drive to grandma’s. We usually listen to an audio book then too (that’s when I listened to Red Pyramid the first time.)