ApeLad

Very weird design… obvious theme is pirate, and the ape has been mentioned, but is that a ninja sword he’s using to carry the brain? and a robot leg? looks like he drew it just to combine every theme he possibly could.

2nd chance sales begin the day after originally offered, for an extra $5. Available shirts are from current and prior week, plus the 15 highest sellers of the remainders.
Also see Day of Reckoning FAQ, and Wikipedia w00t.shirts (last updated on Oct 15)

Current Week:
4103 = ApeLad
4098 = Circumlocution
4094 = Camisa de los Muertos
4093 = Sucka
4091 = Late Halloween Night (Derby 13 Third Place)
4090 = Candy Corn Cannibalism (Derby 13 Runner-Up)
Prior Week:
4079 = Pumpkin and Ghost (Derby 13 Winner)
4047 = Die or Treat
4024 = Ghosts
4006 = Backyard Brawl
3997 = Unatomy
3994 = Sun Decay (Derby 12 Third Place)
3992 = Follow The Leader (Derby 12 Runner-Up)
RSVP - Reckoning Survivors Very Purchaseable
01 Cool Breeze (Derby 7 Winner)
02 Счастливый Пятидесятый День рождения!
03 Zombie Season (Derby 6 Winner)
04 Close Encounters of the 2-D Kind (Derby 12 Winner)
05 Chicago Skyline (Derby 10 Runner-up)
06 Dramatic Jackalope (Derby 11 Winner)
07 Decomposition (Derby 7 Third Place)
08 Pirate Penguin (Derby 8 Winner)
09 GI Metro
10 Uh-Oh
11 Urban Meltdown (Derby 10 Winner)
12 Nobody’s Perfect
13 Capture of the Puffaluffs (Derby 11 Runner-up)
14 BreakfasTopo (Derby 4 Winner)
15 Autumn Breeze (Derby 9 Third Place)
SPECIAL EXEMPTION - available until further notice:
shirt.w00t! Launch

RIP – Reckoned Into Perpetuity:
Fire Swallower – Hot Wings – Avocado Man – Escape of the Puffaluffs (Derby 11 Third Place) – Four Out Of Five Monsters Agree – Vaejovis Spinigeris – Sk8scape – Sore Thumbs – Go Rock Beat Paper*(Derby 6 Third Place)* – Concrete Cityscape (Derby 10 Third Place) – Thumb War – Man-Boy – Bird-Powered Robot – Lady of Spain, Matadore You – The Rustic – Chimpanzee Robusto – Sea Chimp – Suicidal Maple Leaf (Derby 9 Winner) – RTFO – Summer To Fall (Derby 9 Runner-up) – Oh Well – Panda Polo (Derby 6 Runner-up) – Bushidō (Derby 8 Runner-up) – Pencildelic – More Skulls – Stop Digital Piracy (Derby 8 Third Place) – Perched Among Blossoms – Brain Freeze – Bats! – Jellyfishalicious (Derby 5 Winner) – Mental Notes (Derby 7 Runner-up) – Loved By The Sea – Sewer Monster – Deer By Numbers – L’Homme à L’Intérieur du Chat --Snake Bouquet – Skatetown – Reality Isn’t For Everyone (Derby 3 Winner) – The Organic Light Beam (Derby 5 Runner-up) – Son of Kabuki – Sunset Tree (Derby 5 Third Place) – Day Off – Ka-Boom – Green Space – Stereo From Above – Unhappy Meeting (Derby 2 Co-winner) – Rat Rod – Duct Tape Man – See-Sawlitude --Threat Level: Doctorow – Snowmen In Heat (Derby 2 Co-winner) – Driving To Work – If You Want To Destroy My Chainmail – Pirate Trip – Hello Squidbucket! – Nerdy Laundry – American Samurai – Cube One (Derby 1 Winner) – Too Hungry – Scales & Bubbles – Sci-Fi Weenie Roast – Robot Service – The Must-See Comedy Shirt of the Summer – Word Problem – This Here’s My Unicorn-Huntin’ Gun

Nice shirt, but just naah not worth $10.

Homo Sapiens sapiens (that’s you, me and pirates too) are all classified by biologists as belonging to the family Hominidae: the family encompasses the great apes. According to evolutionary biology, our closest living relatives are the chimpanzee and the bonobo chimp.

Cue the creationist rebuttal…now.

(woot filter changed the word h o m o to h o m o s a p i e n .)

Now I’m normally a ninja guy but I just can’t pass up a pirate with a brain :slight_smile:

First sucker: gengis86
Speed to first woot: 0m 12.157s

Last wooter to woot: crzdmn

Awesome shirt. But I just dont like our primate friends. :frowning:

I will say that I’m wavering. Great design, and the brain is a classic. Transient pirapes are clearly a superior sort of simian.

“Don’t wear this shirt: anywhere you see two parallel arrows pointing out from the middle of a circle. Any hobo will tell you that.”

HA

Pretty cool shirt design; not for me though. Sorry.

its true weakness…the feather.

what happened to the cool shirt with the aliens and stuff…I was half way through buying it and it stopped existing?

I can has Close encounters of the 2D kind plz? kthnx

Ugh, this shirt is hideous.

i don’t get it either. what significance is two parallel arrows pointing out from the middle of a circle

Is this shirt really so mediocre that it doesn’t even have a page of comments almost halfway through it’s first day of life?

It makes me chuckle, because it’s clearly an attempt to cram a bunch of “surefire” selling mechanisms into one shirt… one imagines it might be woot or the designer saying “these guys will buy anything with a monkey, pirate, or zombie feel to it”. But it’s even more amusing in how it hasn’t resonated with anyone enough for them to talk about it, even negatively. Even Sk8scape was so bad people needed to talk about it

I see:

-monkeys (he’s a monkey)
-pirates (outfit)
-ninjas (samurai sword)
-zombies (brain in sack)
-ghosts (on hat)
-robots (robotic leg)

looks like he tried to combine every shirt.woot cliche into a single design. From a design perspective, I suppose he succeeded, but it would appear that sales are not as brisk as he would have hoped for.

Ok let me get this straight - the designer’s nickname is “Ape lad”. He designed a shirt featuring his idea of an “Ape lad” and wants us to buy it and wear it? Seems kind of egotistical. I get my fill of ape lad stuff on boing boing.

Maybe next we’ll get a Xeni-designed shirt with a picture of her on it?

If the ape had a sheepish grin then maybe people would go ape sheep over it.

http://www.stephthornton.co.uk/images/sheep.gif

I’d buy it.
Also, I didn’t assign that name to the design though I do freely admit to being egotistical.
As for including my signature, I encourage everyone to do likewise. Why would you not? I don’t understand.
Also, thanks to everyone who has ordered. I love you all and you have my sincere gratitude. Really.

Resume snark.

Hobo Code
To cope with the difficulty of hobo life, hoboes developed a system of symbols, or a code. Hoboes would write this code with chalk or coal to provide directions, information, and warnings to other hoboes. Some signs included “turn right here”, “beware of hostile railroad police”, “dangerous dog”, “food available here”, and so on. For instance:
* A cross signifies “angel food,” that is, food served to the hoboes after a party.
* A triangle with hands signifies that the homeowner has a gun.
* Sharp teeth signify a mean dog.
* A square missing its top line signifies it is safe to camp in that location.
* A top hat and a triangle signify wealth.
* A spearhead signifies a warning to defend oneself.
** A circle with two parallel arrows means to get out fast, as hoboes are not welcome in the area.*
* Two interlocked humans signify handcuffs. (i.e. hoboes are hauled off to jail).
* A Caduceus symbol signifies the house has a medical doctor living in it.
* A cat signifies that a kind lady lives here.
* A wavy line (signifying water) above an X means fresh water and a campsite.
* Three diagonal lines means it’s not a safe place.
* A square with a slanted roof (signifying a house) with an X through it means that the house has already been “burned” or “tricked” by another hobo and is not a trusting house.
* Two shovels, signifying work was available (Shovels, because most hoboes did manual labor).

This shirt will make a little bit more sense to you if you’ve read “The Areas of my Expertise” by John Hodgman, and frequently read the author’s blog. Hoboes are a bit of an inside joke. Ape-Lad’s work is commonly referred to by Hodgman on his blog. By the way, the book is awesome. For those who don’t know who John Hodgman is, he’s frequently on the Daily Show and, more famously, he plays the PC in the “Mac versus PC” ads.

The most important hobo sign is the H in sunrays, though I will never reveal it’s meaning.