Apple 11.6" Dual-Core i5 MacBook Air

Wrong. Apple refurbs carry the same warranty as new ones and have the same eligibility for extension. To reiterate, they’re the same except for the plain box a refurb comes in.

A few quick thoughts.

For those of us who do not like to use Windows, or prefer to use OSX, the debate becomes about finding a good deal, not about the OS. Basically, what I am saying is we’ve already picked a camp, and the snarking back and forth over who has the best OS won’t change that.

Further, as a result of fewer options, the resale value on these machines is through the roof. Much like when purchasing a vehicle, when purchasing a computer it is important to note that you will not keep it forever. Apples, in my history of usage, have had better overall reliabilty and residual value than their Windows counterparts. For example, were I to purchase this model, and get rid of my old Macbook, I would net about 300 in expense. Were my wife (a pc user) to try the same to get an ultrabook, her old Viao would have little value, even though it is similarly spec’ed. That trait shouldn’t be overlooked in a debate about VALUE.

All that being said, I am not sure this is a great deal. It is ok, but as several people have pointed out, apple is selling these at similar pricing on its own site without the ticking clock prompting your purchase. Further, as the new releases get closer, the apple site tends to lower its prices to reduce old inventory. Unless you need a new laptop RIGHT NOW, it might be prudent to wait.

My boss bought one of these Samsung ultra books, and the super frail charger broke the first day. The packaging is a ripoff of Apple’s, the machine is designed to look like the MacBook Air, and the Samsung software installed on IS VISUALLY IDENTICAL TO APPLE’S “System Preferences.app”!! It’s the most pathetic knock off garbage I’ve ever dealt with. It even has a Dock! Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for copying Apple instead of innovating, but it’s what every PC manufacturer does.

And the Samsung was $1500.

That (or something similar) is said every time there’s an OS war. It doesn’t make any difference.

And “in my history of usage,” Macs don’t have better overall reliability or residual value, but cost more to repair.

Unless you need the OSx, the Lenovo T430 is far better choice. With it’s good 900p screen which is better than the Airs 768p one, NVS 5400M (way faster than the HD 3000), I5 and the point - 9 cell battery with 13-14 hours of web surfing in practice

Excellent. Couldn’t have said it better myself. +1

Anyway, as someone who uses and fixes Windows and OSX machines on a daily basis, I find that the Air is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it’s thin, light, and great for web surfing our media browsing on the go. It’s designed for one who needs the functionality of a laptop in places where it might be easier to use a tablet. I’ve seen and used a fair share of them, and even though I am a staunched defender of Windows I must admit the simplicity of the Air is something to think about. I’m not championing it as the best ultraportable around, and it wouldn’t suit my needs, with a $200 discount this machine might be worth taking a look at, depending on your needs.

On another note, yes, Macs seem to be overpriced, but I find Intel’s Ultrabook campaign insane. Why would anyone pay $999 for a laptop with limited ports and a tiny screen, regardless of an SSD or not. Most also look more or less like MacBook Pro/Air clones, so I won’t be buying one anytime soon.

No OS X though. Windows is really a waste of time for anyone trying to get things done; why would I want to open Outlook, compose a new message, click the paper clip, find the file I want to attach and then select it when on OS X I can just drag the file to the Mail icon on the Dock? And in 10.8 (maybe even 10.7) now you can just right click the file and attach it to an email message directly. Mail doesn’t have to already be running in either of those situations.

It’s basically just an OS for playing games, which is great, but more and more games are being coded for Macs again now that they’re really taking off. Carmageddon (1997) was one of my favorite PC games, but it crashed constantly on every machine I’ve ever played it on. When I recently found out that it was also released on Mac OS 9, I had to try it out. So far it hasn’t crashed once.

I guess what surprises me is that of all the people who defend Windows over Mac, not one of them has ever genuinely liked Windows. It’s all about the software, and it’s all 3rd party. Even Microsoft office is more stable on OS X.
People say there are more hardware choices in a PC, but most of that hardware isn’t worth using. There are more actual software titles on Windows, but the ones on Mac, while fewer, almost always work better. Macs on the other hand have a loving user base and a tight-knit community that bands together to solve issues.

And if hardware is so important, how on earth did a 2004 eMac with a 1GHz G4 processor and no USB 2.0 cause me to give up my 2+ GHz PC that had way better specs in every way? Simple, I finally had a computer that functioned logically.

Make sure to pickup AppleCare after getting this. You have within the first year to purchase it and it extends your phone support and warranty to 3 years from the date of purchase.

The one woot is selling is NEW. THe one Apple is selling is REFURBISHED

Refurbished…this is new

Not really. The Samsung has a 15"+ display, so it’s larger (which might equate to more cumbersome if portability was key). And from reviews I’ve read, I suspect the Samsung isn’t quite as durable/well-made, tho’ probably not bad compared to other Windows laptops.

Besides, the Samsung won’t run OSX :wink:

The link you provided is a Refurbished MacBook Air

I’ve bought 2 refurbished iPads, 1 refurbished Mac mini, and 3 refurbished iPhones (direct fro. AT&T). The only difference from new I can tell from new is the hundreds of dollars still in my pocket. Refurbished Apple Store items might as well be new.

why not? men still want women after they get burned.

What is the warranty on this laptop?
Does the warranty begin the day of purchase or has it expired or currently going?
How do we know when the warranty started… would like to know… thanks

does the warranty start the day we purchase it??? how do we know…

Yeah, if you call apple and register the device you can purchase applecare through them or you can purchase it through a third party like Amazon. No matter how you get it just give them a call to register it. All you’ll need to do is email them a copy of your receipt showing the date of purchase and they set it up accordingly. That way it will start from your actual purchase date. Apple has the best phone support there is.

90 days phone support 1 year hardware standard with any apple computer. Applecare extends both out to 3 years from the date of purchase. It covers everything but accidental damage. You just have to email or fax them a copy of your receipt to prove the date of purchase.

someone, not as lazy as me, should start charting these apple back and forth (on woot), so we can see how often the same case/rebuttals are made.

It really boils down to 1) does it meet your needs 2) are you willing to pay the asking price.

everyone you meet will have had a horred experience with some kind of computer brand, anecdotes are a dime a dozen…

A third point would be, do you have a desire/need to run both Apple Mac software and Windows software natively without having to be a “computer geek” to do.

(these points have to have been made here before…)

HA HA Good one!