Apple 13.3” Intel i5 MacBook Pros (S&D)

Apple 13.3” Intel i5 MacBook Pros (S&D)

Hey, the mid-2012s will still be compatible with the new version of MacOS - “Catalina Wine Mixer” or whatever. I use one for work (though with an i7) and it’s aged decently well. You can upgrade the SSD and RAM fairly easily. I did have the motherboard replaced once though, because the switching graphics feature can be flaky on my model.

This isn’t a bad deal depending on the condition of the MacBook Pro. Good luck?

1 Like

Are you saying these WILL be compatible? Or are you asking?

yes, I would like to kow as well but I’m too lazy to look it up.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“Will be” is my expression of surprise. I was sure it was going to be time to upgrade. So, this isn’t an awful deal if you are dying for an old MacBook Pro.

I punched around on the Apple Catalina website and it looks like only the 2012 model will upgrade to Catalina this fall. The highest macOS for the 2011 model is High Sierra 10.13.6

I’m actually thinking about this for a daughter-going-to-college-this-fall purchase. I’d be happy to hear any valid concerns from anyone.

Even if it doesn’t run the latest, running a prior version is probably fine to last at least another several years. I’ve still got a 2011 kicking around that’s running 10.9

This seems like a great unit to send off with your daughter to college. It’s not $2000 so if it gets stolen or she drops it, no big loss. But it will still be powerful enough for her uses; note-taking, paper writing, etc. Plus if you get the 2012 model, Catalina will synch all the latest features with her iPad and iPhone.

I would skip the 2011 because of its obsolescence. High Sierra is a fine OS, but dark mode makes Mojave a worthy upgrade.

I would also replace the HDD with a SSD and upgrade the RAM. I have an early-2011 15" which has been handed down to my son for high school use and with that SSD (and an upgrade to 16gb of RAM) it still screams. In fact, I bought a data doubler from OWC and replaced the never-used optical drive with a 750gb HDD for storage.

It’s way faster and still more usable than the brand new HP my company gave me (which I don’t actually use because, Windows).

question here, that i thought i would have been able to find on the site but it seems to be eluding me. what is the return policy if receive it, there is nothing wrong with it, but i just don’t like it and want to return it?

Thanks for the input @ktappe.

I just purchased a refurbished Mac from Woot, and I’m not sure that it’s “refurbished” to anything like Apple standards. The power adapter it came with was not the original, and the packaging it was mailed in looked suspect. I’m gonna wipe it and ask around about potential malware / spyware and see whether the parts are anything like Apple standard before I even boot it up. I’m sure it’s fine, but still – buyer beware.

Hi there. A refurbished computer is different than a factory reconditioned computer. Not sure what you mean by Apple standards but that shouldn’t be expected on a Scratch & Dent refurbished computer.

“Refurbished” covers everything from buyers’ remorse returns and products whose defects have been repaired by the pros to damaged packaging and discontinued items. If you can accept their checkered past, refurbs have a lot of love to give.

A “factory reconditioned” item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It’s as close to new as you can get without technically being “new”.

They factory restore before selling. Although BIOS/firmware can be infected. Use 2 factor auth and only shop with credit cards. Then Visa has to pay for the theft instead of you.

If you want you can download Wireshark and see what kind of packets are going in and out. And you can see what kind of crap your neighbors are downloading on your wireless.