Apple 13" Intel i5 MacBook Pro (2017)

Apple 13" Intel i5 MacBook Pro (2017)

Are these the Mac Pros that have been banned by the FAA?

[MOD: No. Please research before posting stuff like that. The ban is for the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). Link ]

Interestingā€¦ what would be the reason these are refurbished by Apple, but without Apple warranty?

Also, new to MacBooksā€¦ assuming it is a ā€œbacklit keyboard?ā€ as most higher-end laptops have this now. The only search for ā€œbacklitā€ in the description is about the display, not the kb.

Specs ā†’ 64 Keys - Full-size, LED backlit

1 Like

$839.99 for what seems to be the same or close ? Not Refurbished by Apple but since you are NOT GETTING an Apple Warranty BUT just a 90 day Woot warrantyā€¦these ā€˜ā€˜work and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.ā€™ā€™ https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MPXU2LL-13-3-inch-Display/dp/B07VB5HWV2

[MOD: Not the same. See @blaculadaveā€™s post below.]

Brown Box, Generic Accessories, Refurbished by a 3rd Party.

Ours are refurbished by Apple, re-boxed the same as New condition (minus being in a white box vs a retail box), and with new accessories. Itā€™s the same as you would get buying from Appleā€™s Refurbished store, just without the Warranty.

Memory and SSD in these models are soldered on the motherboard, making them completely non-upgradeable.

Would have been a good DJ rig if the SSD was just a standard m.2 NVME that I can upgrade to a 1 or 2 tb. At 256gb, Iā€™d be cramped pretty fast. The rest of the rig is fast enough, though, even if these are the lowest end of this modelā€¦

Soldered memory and SSDs are the case for every MacBook, not just the ones Woot are selling here.

Well most every one since 2012. Those were the last ones which were had user upgradable ram and drives.

Thanks that does sound better. Honestly I have to say I feel somewhat ā€œburnedā€ by a recent purchase of a Dell Latitude that was refurbished (not by Dell). Do you know when you rent an apartment or house, and the landlord says ā€œdonā€™t put self-stick contact paper on the kitchen shelves.ā€ Well, that used to be a thing, anyway. So when you buy a $500 laptop thatā€™s refurbished, do you really expect self-stick contact paper on all the visible surfaces? Top, palm rest, even touchbad ($#&( I canā€™t believe the put a %R(*&$#( sticker on the touchpad.

Was going to return it but found I could peel it off. Still have sticky residue on my damn Latitude.

Woot please donā€™t ever use that refurbisher again.

ā€œSoldered memory and SSDs are the case for every MacBookā€
Makes it lightweight, thinner, and far more reliable. Unfortunately the consequence is not upgradable.
You have to understand the model for these is like an iPhone or iPad ā€“ excellent efficient design and good performance, but, expect to swap for a new one every few years if you must have the ā€œlastest.ā€

I am OK with that.

No arguments from me. User who are used to having computers being upgradable dislike this practice, of course.

I have this same computer, purchased brand new in the summer of 2017. Since then, Iā€™ve had to have the logic board replaced (covered under warranty, but in the 11th month), the power brick has died, and the butterfly keyboard is falling apart. I would absolutely not pay $1000 for this computer without a full 12-month warranty.

1 Like