Apple 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro

Cheaper at newegg $1,309.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100273&IsVirtualParent=1

I wonder if the one from newegg is a true factory refurb or any other significant difference?

Correction to the above claims:

This computer is one of the only MBP to accept 16Gb 1333 Ram. (2x8GB). I know this because I did it and my system now recognizes 16GB. This is also the only MBP big enough to accept 2x1TB internal SSDs.

So the 12 year old Dell I still use with my engine diagnostic tools is an anomaly? I think not and I paid $50 on craigslist for it…

And so a vastly overpriced alienware laptop comes in 17" and even 18" screens at comparable prices, NEW, with comparable or better features. Why would we want this apple garbage?

The i7 from 2011 is not the same as the i7 from today. Thats why Apple loves intel processors: no one looks at what generation of the core-I series it is.

New eggs unit only has a 90day warranty which means its a 3rd party refurb and not an Apple Factory certified refurbished unit. I’ve bought 3rd party refurb Apple product before and it’s really hit or miss. But I’ve never had an issue with an Apple factory refurb. They do an awesome job.

Every Mac owner I know has owned both PC and Mac but prefers Mac. I have yet to see a person who has owned both to prefer a PC (I know there are, so don’t give me yourself as a counterexample).

For those who says the hardware is not worth that much, hardware is not just CPU, GPU and etc., the build is also a part of it. Do you think any Windows Ultrabook’s price is worth the “hardware” in it? This is not buying meat, the heavier the more expensive.

Most software engineers at Google and Facebook use Mac. I know because I’ve worked at both places. Why, because they look good? C’mon, a lot don’t even shower everyday (I do).

If I need strength training, I wound’t pay that much money to buy a dumbbell alternative.

So… Don’t offer proof that your example is flawed, and biased… I prefer my windows based computers, and android based phones over the apple equivalents… I own a G5 powermac, which I feel was the last real Macintosh ever made. Once they went to using the same hardware and chipset as everyone else, the only thing they had left was fanboyism, and a hardware lockout on running Mac OS on anything but their computers. ( not that its hard to get around that insanity)

But I diverge way off topic.

Macbooks are pretty neat, but paying New computer prices for a 2 year old used computer seems to be the opposite of thrifty to me.

For me it has NOTHING to do with image. I’ve never had mine viewable in public. I have 5 PC’s and they are great for gaming but my 17" Macbook pro has made me 100’s of times what I paid for it. No viruses, no Blue screen of death or crashes, no driver issues, 12 second reboots. Haven’t even rebooted it in 4 months. Great intuitive interface that blows windows out of the water in just about every aspect.

Stay on a PC and loose money and or time due to lower productivity. If you’ve never owned a Mac then you’ll have a hard time grasping the HUGE differences.

There’s a reason why Apple is the largest company (Exxon might have 1# depending on the stock market) in the world. People that buy them are happy with them. When I use windows it not only feels second rate but it performs that way. Mac and Iphone are eroding Windows PC sales.

I bought this exact model new. Early 2011 model. Yes it will take 16GB of RAM. I also have a 240GB SSD and a 1TB on the superdrive bay.

I’m not willing to (downgrade) to the 2013 model because the 2013 has many limitations. 15" instead of 17" really blows the deal. No ability to upgrade the soldered in memory, no hard drive space and SSD upgrade issues. Overall you get locked into a non upgradeable 2013 model with a smaller display and limited storage capacity. Hope they bring back the 17".

Seems to be the first disposable computer of our era:

“Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).”

Wife just bought a new 17 inch Dell. Windows 8. It’s been here a week, I gave up after 30 minutes. She has been trying to use it and had someone come over that seems to understand W8, and show her stuff. But as of now she is debating sending it back (and going to a Mac) or springing for W7. W8 will sell more macs than Steve Jobs could have ever imagined. I am happy with my 3 year old W7 laptop, but when I have to move to a new os, it will be Mac. Point of story is, a PC with W8 cannot be compared to anything else out there. Try it and see.

These are great with photos and video. That’s nice. It’d be nicer if that field of work actually paid at least minimum wage. I’m not sure 2 months of income is worth it.

FC725LL/A Refurbished 17-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel i7 Hi-Res GLOSSY 1920-by-1200 LED @ $1699 Apple website

G0M3BLL/A Refurbished 17-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7 with Hi-Res ANTIGLARE (MATTE) 1920-by-1200 LED @ $1789 Apple website

Posted here for price comparison even through both are currently out of stock on the Apple website. You will get the same thing here cheaper that you would get on the Apple refurb website if it was available.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

• Quality products/great prices
  • Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
  • Covered by Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty
  • AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
  • Supplies are limited

Most people are not aware that you actually get two computers when you buy a Mac. They forget, or want to forget, that a Mac can run Windows via Bootcamp. And yes it is possible for you to get a virus on the Bootcamp Windows installation just like any PC. Also, buy and install Parallels Desktop for Mac and you can run Windows and Mac apps simultaneously if you want to without shutting down and restarting in one or the other OS.

I’ve used all the flavors of Windows OS out of necessity (at work), and all versions of Mac OS, and both Mac and Windows operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Just remember that a Mac is made, designed, and supported completely by Apple and you can walk into a store and get support. But you normally get support from a PC builder like Dell, HP, or Toshiba by phone, email, or chat when you have a question or issue.

And I agree with stevematlbch that Windows 8 is such a disaster that it will sell more Macs than Steve Jobs could have ever imagined.

Well under 1k. How much does some sand and aluminum cost?

So the problem is you want it arranged in a certain way, and that will cost you. You can have it arranged by DELL instead, and that will cost you in different ways.

Yes, yes, Apple costs more. We’re tired of hearing it. Mercedes costs more too. Go play with your Yugo.

woot! should start a “refurbished!” section, what with all the refurbished crap they like to feature. They’ve really gone downhill since the Amazon overtake.

If you’re on the fence, just do it. You won’t regret it.

Anybody know when this model was originally released? Is this 2012 model release?

Both are Early 2011 models released in February 24, 2011 and discontinued October 24, 2011. Click here for FC725LL/A details or click here for G0M3BLL/A. Apple made the last late 2011 17" MacBook Pro from Oct. 24, 2011 to June 11, 2012 but I’ve not seen these on woot! yet.