Apple 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro

**Item: **Apple 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro
Price: $1,399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Apple 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro)

[Search Google](Google 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
8/18/2013 - $1,499.99-1,599 - 13 comment(s)
8/11/2013 - $1,499.99-1,599 - 35 comment(s)
7/30/2013 - $1,499.99 - 57 comment(s)
7/14/2013 - $1,499.99-1,599 - 85 comment(s)
6/2/2013 - $1,619.99-1,699 - 60 comment(s)

8/21/2013 - $1,499.99 (Woot Plus)
6/7/2013 - $1,620.00 (Woot Plus)
6/7/2013 - $1,700.00 (Woot Plus)

Time to check out the product page

and

Read and watch this “excellent” review over at cnet

I need a new 'puter, and oh,man, great price – this is REALLY tempting, especially since it’s anti-glare - and even though it’s bigger and heavier than I thought I would spring for … and even though Amazon just started charging tax to Connecticut, so woot will too. (I don’t particularly care that it’s an older model and will need a RAM upgrade. At least it’s still user-upgradeable, unlike the newest models!) May I add that Apple refurbs are absolutely reliable. My current (ancient) iMac was a refurb and has never had a single problem.

OK price on this Early 2011 refurbished model that would normally go for $1,789 if it was in stock on the Apple website. Apple reconditioned means you can get AppleCare protection plan if you want.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7 (2.3GHz)
Processor Core: Quad-Core
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Memory: 4GB DDR3 (two 2GB); expandable to 8GB
Graphics: Intel HD 3000 & AMD Radeon HD 6750M with automatic graphics switching. 1GB GDDR5 graphics memory
Hard Drive: 750GB SATA (5400 rpm)

This computer would sell for <$900 if it wasn’t a Mac. This is not a good price for this hardware at all. 4G of RAM? That would be awesome in 2005. 2.3GHz CPU is almost half the speed of my Intel i7 (Turbo Bosted to 4.5GHz without overclocking). Paying this price for this laptop is insanity. I’d highly recommend comparing these specs to another machine from another company.

My credentials:
BS degree majoring in Information Technology
Built my own desktop.(Jan, 2013)

Thank you for this insightful review :slight_smile:

Yeah but if you do buy the plan its almost the same cost… for a refurb. I’d only consider this if you feel the dedicated graphics and superdrive are a must (assuming you’re going for a Mac of course). I had the 15" with very similar specs, it was a good machine but found battery life was mediocre on the discrete graphics, and it ran really hot when it kicks in. I mean literally frying pan hot.

If you don’t care about a built in DVD drive and aren’t going to need super powered graphics, the current gen MBA or MBP is a much better buy and is a lot more compact and lighter too.

There are people in this world who are willing to pay more for higher quality even though the specs may be identical to something that is cheaper.

My credentials:
Well… I attended Juilliard… I’m a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I’ve seen “The Exorcist” about a hundred and sixty-seven times, and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it!!! Not to mention the fact that you’re talking to a dead guy!!! Now what do you think? You think I’m qualified? :slight_smile:

I have one of these laptops - it’s running Mavericks with 16GB of ram and two 512SSD (replaced the DVD bay) - and it’s extremely capable.

You could dump a couple hundred dollars into this laptop and have a system that could easily last you a few years.

If your requirements for a laptop don’t involve extreme mobility, this is a great choice.

I own a 15" MacBook Pro from the same line, and it’s a fantastic laptop - very snappy and powerful even two years after release.

Unfortunately, these 2011 models are showing increasingly frequent issues with their graphics/display. Apple hasn’t yet acknowledged these issues or established a repair program, so I’d strongly encourage any buyer to get AppleCare. Replacement logic boards (the most common solution to the problem) are $500+ and only under warranty for 90 days after repair… which makes AppleCare a deal by comparison.

Hey look! It doesn’t have Windows 8!

I have nothing to offer about this. But my wife is wanting a MacBook for some reason.

I really have a hard time wrapping my head around spending $1400 on a 3 year old refurbished laptop when that same $1400 will buy you one hell of a brand new, near top of the line laptop. And no I’m not talking about the BS you find at all the big box stores.

[Insert snarky comment about BS degree here.]

Build quality and user experience make all the difference. As for me, as a guy with 6 computers in the house, the number of PC’s is waning steadily. My Macs run without issue 99% of the time - well worth the extra expense if you factor in the troubleshooting and maintenance time I save.

Others may have had a different experience, but for me, there’s no contest. If Mac keeps building them the way they do, I’ll keep buying them when it’s time to upgrade.

BS = bullscheist
MS = more scheist
PhD = piled high and deep

Real work experience is more important than demonstrating you can sit and pay long enough to get degrees. Education is always good, but the degree is too often considered as esteemed.

My credentials are the following: I worked at a large university for twenty years around some dummies called faculty, and even have two of those papers.

I love how people act like Apple is “Such higher quality with the same specs” It isn’t like intel and AMD are sitting around their respective factories saying “Oh look, this batch of chips is broken, send those to toshiba, we need better ones for apple”

The only difference is a heavy, hot as the gates of hell getting case, and an OS that has %10 of the software as a Windows machine.

Worth noting is that the model pictured has the matte screen, not the glossy, black glass edged screen.

Is this a lot of money for a 2.3GHz old i7 that doesn’t even have the HD 4000? Heck yes. However this is Apple, they make their laptops out of a single piece of milled aluminum. You don’t have to worry if you 15" might be a 1080p or not. Don’t worry its the most they can cram in there. (1680x1050) The keyboards are all backlit. Some of the best laptop speakers you can find. Nifty magnetic power adaptor that has granted my wife extra years to her life (joking). Setup for IR if you so please. Headphone/mic jack that is also optical for higher digital quality. And always pretty darn good battery life since they control hardware to the OS which allows for better optimization than Dell, Lenovo, or anyone else can hope to achieve.

So you aren’t paying $1,400 for 2.3GHz, 4GB ram and a 750GB 5400 rpm drive. (seriously if you buy this laptop replace that shit.) You are paying for all the other little things that are hard to come by in other laptop brands.

Work gave me a 13" mid 2010 macbook pro. I put ubuntu on it and I am one happy camper. Solid piece of engineering right there.

EDIT: Forgot my credentials. I didn’t know we were doing this now.

I am Steve Jobs.

The difference, of course, is that this computer comes with a far, far, far better operating system than any wintel model can claim, and this computer will last and last far past yours, if only due to the complete absence of viruses etc. Macs are more expensive to buy, but much cheaper to own, and more pleasant too. It’s no contest.
For someone with your credentials, it may make sense to build your own, but for those mortals among us, who just want to buy and use it, Mac is the clear choice.

This makes me laugh.

I personally feel the extra money is worth it because you’re paying for hardware quality. Every single one of my Apple products I’ve bought still works. MacBooks, Mac Minis, iPods, etc.

Credentials: Used and killed many laptops: Acer, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Lenovo, IBM, Asus, Sony and maybe a few others. Currently posting this from a 6-year old MacBook that has been dropped multiple times and lives a rough, abused life, yet continues to work like a champ. Oh, and I’ve built computers too. Lots of them.