Apple (2020) 13" i5 Quad-Core MacBook Pros

Apple (2020) 13" i5 Quad-Core MacBook Pros

I am curious as to why Apple would refurbish something but not provide any warranty - really curious as to why

Thanks Woot for providing a year

3 Likes

I think that the best play is to get a M1 MB Air or the M1 MB Pro.

I had a 2012 MB Pro, a (maxed out) 2012 MacMini and I traded in a 2017 MacBook 12" for the M1 MB Air. The MB Air is amazing. I’ve been using it for 4+ months. Initally I was going to upgrade to a 16GB Ram model, but Covid limits at our Apple Store have not let me upgrade yet. The 8GB of RAM has not been a problem. It was the only model available in November when I bought it.

I still would opt for a Maxed-out MacBook Air over the Intel models of Air or Pro. The way the M1 uses RAM has made the number not nearly as important.

If you’re a Pro user, doing lots of video editing, I would wait for the next generation MB Pro, with more ports and RAM.

Here is my review of the M1 from last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R173YCBP8CGFS8/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08N5LNQCX

8 Likes

Sometimes as part of the deal, the manufacturer will take a lower price if the reseller offers the warranty themselves.

(As many know, Apple has been moving away from Intel processors recently in favor of their own M1 CPU.)

2 Likes

Comparing this to the M1:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-apple_m1-1804-vs-intel_core_i5_1038ng7-1360

2 Likes

Not sure what the processor has to do with the warranty.

FWIW, I bought an iPad here about a year ago that was listed as not eligible for AppleCare. When it arrived, it was perfectly happy to let me sign up for AppleCare, and I had no trouble using the coverage when I needed it. That’s not a guarantee, obviously, but my experience may not be the exception.

3 Likes

Without a dedicated Video Card how would this handle Photo/Video Editing ? Anyone have the experience with running that type of software with the onboard video and 16 Gigs Ram ? I do light editing using Affinity or DXO Photo Lab 4. Amateur photographer and was wondering without a dedicated Video Card how would this perform ? I do not do video rendering Thanks if anyone would chime in.

2 Likes

Apple might not want to support it 3 years from now as they’re fully committing to their own CPU nowadays. This is not the first time Apple changed CPU architectures; from 68k to PPC, then later to x86. As the transition progressed, support for the old was cut off.

2 Likes

13-inch MacBook Pro - Silver - Education - Apple New for $1,900.00 What am I missing here ? The specs seems to be the same. For new is it worth the $300 or so ?

3 Likes

This is a great deal. I bought a new, open-box MacBook Pro in Jan from Woot without Apple warranty either. I couldn’t pass up the steep discount on the price and yeah I wondered too what was the catch. So I took a leap of faith and I wasn’t disappointed. I use the laptop daily for trading and it works well. The only minor defects I’ve noticed so far: a small scratch in front, the left shift key would sometimes not work (so I use the right shift key), and the battery only last 3 hrs until I have to plug in for a charge when I have multiple Chrome windows open, YouTube TV, and a Java application (trading platform) running simultaneously. I can live with all those since I saved $500 off & MB Pro integrated perfectly with my Apple TV, watch, phone & even my smart LG TV.

1 Like

@Wooter206271071

Good to know - How much would you estimate I would save here?

You would save about $450 by buying it from Woot instead of apple; OR if you compare it to the refurbished section of apple - you would be saving $190.

A number of people suggest going with the M1 series - the specs are great; but I personally shy away from bleeding edge tech. I prefer something tried and true vs. latest and greatest. I don’t just follow this philosophy for my personal computers - but also for my business computers and for the computers that I sell my clients.

1 Like