Apple 32GB iPod Touch 3rd Generation

What will jail-breaking an iPod Touch get me?
Any extra functions? free programs?

Might pull the trigger here… been wanting a Touch for awhile, but…

Battery life. With lithium ions and it being refurb, what kind of realistic battery life do you think I can get out of this? Anyone with refurb Touch experience?

I bought one from Woot a couple years back.

Only within the past two months is the battery running down quickly.

I use it as my media player in my car, and while it would last a week before, now it lasts a day and a half. That kind of run-down is normal, I think. Getting almost two years out of it before that happening is pretty impressive.

Anyway, I’ve had ZERO issues with this thing. The back of the casing was a little scuffed when I got it (I hear refurbs bought directly from Apple get new backs), but the screen was perfect, and it has functioned without so much as a hiccup.

Wikipedia on jailbreaking

Jail breaking your iPod will (illegally) get you essentially any app you’d like for free, or, get you third party apps that apple didn’t clear for sale in their app store.

i love my Touch. Honestly I use it more for the free Apps than I do for the movies or music. Its great, and has been immensely helpful at school (where I always have internet connection) for sending/receiving important school emails on the go or killing time in class while waiting for the late professor to show up.

so i tried ordering this on my 1st gen iPod touch. it wouldnt work. it kept on asking me to log in over and over again.

According to the Buyer’s Guide, there should be a new rev coming soon-ish:
http://guides.macrumors.com/iPod_Buyer’s_Guide#iPod_touch

Argument FOR it happening relatively soon:

• The iPod Touch upgrade interval so far has been 7 months, then 12 months – we’re at month 9 right now.
  • Gen1 iPod Touch came out 5 months after Gen1 iPhone
  • Gen2 iPod Touch came out 2 months after Gen2 iPhone
  • Gen3 iPod Touch came out 3 months after Gen3 iPhone

Argument AGAINST it happening relatively soon:

• I personally don’t have any, other than perhaps a shortage of hardware from greater than expected iPhone 4 sales?

I bought one of these a couple of months ago off of Woot. I really enjoy it. No problem with battery life. iOS4 downloaded a few days ago allowing multitasking. I have a Slacker Radio plus account and they have an app that will cache stations onto the touch so that you don’t need to be connected via wifi to listen to the station. I take it with me in the car and use an FM transmitter to listen to it on the way to work. Haven’t bought any apps yet, but some of the free ones are cool. It almost makes we want to get an ipad too.

OK, I’m a Sansa guy. I have a bunch of them and love them…but, I would really like this thing. I don’t know a thing about them except they sound very cool.

Question: do you pay monthly for internet service?

no wifi or hotspot only but there is no monthly fee. its an iphone with no phone. i have an iphone and my daughter has a touch, the only thing missing is the camera

Oh Woot! Why doest thou tempt me?!

I’d love to get a 32 GB 3rd gen model. More room for music and movies and games, and a faster processor and more features available in iOS4. But… I’m sure there will be a 4th gen iPod Touch in September. If Steve Jobs applies some of the neat features from the iPhone 4 to the new iPod Touch, I’ll be buying one.

I’ve also had my eye on the new Virgin Mobile Mifi. That will be useful with my current and future iPod Touch, etc.

uhhhm…IPod Touch doesn’t have GPS, what are you talking about Willis??? You can get directions on it IF you have a wifi connection, big deal, I can do that with my Blackberry over a cellular connection.

Don’t get me wrong I love the touch, but don’t mislead people by implying it has GPS functionality, you should explain more.

By the way, its the same price on ecost.com. As usual, there is no real deal going on here.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=54744232&source=EWB063010EML&cm_mmc=Exact%20Target-_-Hotsheet-_-Bargain%20Countdown-_-Apple%2032GB%20iPod%20Touch%20-%203rd%20Generation%20-%20MC008LL/A

wooting is fun, ecosting… not so much fun.

I’m a little upset I bought the 8gb refurb itouch from apple now…mostly because you get raped on sales tax

You can pull up the Maps app (comes preloaded) and type in the address, then close the app and when you’re in the car pull it back up and it’ll still show that map. However, like you said, since you most likely won’t be connected thru wi-fi anymore, you won’t be able to zoom in which could make it a little difficult to find exactly where you’re going, but it should give you a general area.

It’s the same price on ecost.com:

http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-touch/4th-generation-ipod-touch-g4/2010/01/11/

Also, a new version of the iPod Touch “4” is rumored to be coming out in September:
http://www.ipodrepublic.com/ipod-touch/4th-generation-ipod-touch-g4/2010/01/11/

I want to buy one of these, but I’ll resist and wait 'till September to see if prices drop on the “old” models…

Buy.com has cases for these for $4.99 shipped.

It is true that this iPod Touch does not have a true GPS… it utilizes Skyhook technology which determines location via internet wifi access points… on the other hand, true GPS is a space-based global navigation satellite system…

ecost has them for $220+$10 shipping, so really only a $5 savings.

Thumbs down.