Apple 500GB Mac Mini Desktop

Apple 500GB Mac Mini Desktop

So couple of notes because I’ve been looking at mac minis for awhile for XCode purposes.

First off, the RAM is a joke. You can buy the lowest RAM version and upgrade it to 16GB max. Generally this is cheaper (however, YMMV, do research first) than buying the bigger RAM model off the bat. Here is a guide on how to replace it: Mac mini Late 2012 RAM Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

Secondly, these are not good for gaming. Do not buy them for gaming. They’re good for watching videos and browsing most websites.

Third, you cannot upgrade the CPU easily. I believe even most models you cannot even upgrade it at all or it bricks the entire machine.

Fourth, you’ll want Metal support if you want to keep upgrading Mac OS versions. I don’t think the one model that has an AMD in it will support Metal, but the other models should (anything Intel after 2011 should support Metal iirc [this is a graphics api layer, it will run complex things like Final Cut, Adobe programs better, etc] Won’t be like as fast as a PC but w/e).

Be sure to click the Specs page to note these are 2011 & 2012 models…not just old, but geriatric! The 2012 is still supported by Apple, but just barely. The 2011 is officially unsupported. If you want to run the latest software get the 2012, but don’t expect the next major macOS upgrade to run on it.

Graphics are extremely weak by today’s standards, cannot be upgraded, and they are too old to use an eGPU or Apple Metal.

A reason someone will want one of these, is that they are the last Mac mini models where Apple let you upgrade both RAM and storage yourself. You can upgrade RAM up to 16GB. (RAM upgradeability did return in the 2018.) It has one 2.5" drive bay, but since there is a server variant, there is extra space in the little case where you can (with an inexpensive kit) install a second 2.5" drive. Like two SSDs, if you want.

I currently run a 2012 mini as an HTPC with two internal drives to record OTA 1080p HDTV. It has worked well and reliably for that, but the graphics do not support 4K. It was a good buy when I got it 5 years ago, but in 2019 I would look at something newer.

Get it if your budget, needs, and expectations are all severely modest.

These should still allow a Catalina (latest) installation without any hacks. Mojave requires Metal.

According to this page: Mac mini "Core i5" 2.5 (Late 2012) Specs (Late 2012, MD387LL/A, Macmini6,1, A1347, 2570): EveryMac.com

This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 “Mountain Lion,” OS X 10.9 “Mavericks,” and OS X 10.10 “Yosemite” and OS X 10.11 “El Capitan” including Metal graphics acceleration. It is capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) also, although it does not support the Auto Unlock feature. This model is capable of running macOS High Sierra (10.13), and it supports HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), but it does not support hardware accelerated HEVC.
This model is compatible with the final version of macOS Mojave (10.14) and the current version of macOS Catalina (10.15), as well.

So it does support Metal, so it can be used for something such as compiling shaders or taking advantage of some low to moderately graphical intensive functionality. It would be good for a lazy development kit but not good enough to actually play on.

I own both the 2011 and 2012. They’re both fine if you upgrade the ram to 8GB minimum and put in a SSD. The 2012 and 2011 are similar, but the 2012 will let you run the latest OS. The 2011 is on the prior OS, and it still gets updates. Just got a security update today.

My rec is to get the 2012 4GB and upgrade the ram for $20, yourself. If you’re handy upgrade the HD to. SSD for like $60 at Macsales.com. They also have a sled so you can use the old drive as well, as it can fit 2drives inside.

Very helpful info. My two cents is this: we need a media player that supports HDR as well as 4K resolution. I could live without 4K, but HDR is my deal breaker. In 2019 this is crucial. For anyone wanting a media player that’s even vaguely future-proof, look elsewhere.

1 Like

I’m on the fence about getting something just a bit new and hopefully a bit faster for user experience with web pages, basic iMovie, email, nothing hard core. The most taxing will be iMovie if files are larger. I wonder if end user would notice a performance difference than the specs on my old late 2009 iMac?

iMac
Software Version 10.13.6 (Late 2009)
Processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 16GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Disk 1TB SATA RPM ??

Installing Linux would get around the obsolescence issues, but then what would be the point of buying Apple hardware? Aside from running macOS, there’s nothing these will do that a cheap used laptop wouldn’t do better and faster.