Apple 64GB iPad mini with Wi-Fi

Do a complete wipe and restore with the new iOS version. Don’t restore your data from a backup afterward.

See if that helps.

Someone please explain this comment in the post: “With FaceTime built into iPad mini, you can make a video call over Wi‑Fi or cellular.”

I see no cellular information on the product description. I’m thinking this was a stretch by the marketing department.

Uh, it’s pretty much necessary, not a “practice” they follow. As the hardware evolves, they add functionality to the OS. Some functionality just isn’t possible on older hardware, so yes, it becomes “obsolete” after a few years. Do you expect your old Windows XP machine to run Windows 8?

Sure, phones evolve faster than PCs, but really, PCs rarely run more than 3 OS releases behind before getting left behind. Same with phones.

I wouldn’t buy this, it’s 2 year old hardware and isn’t much cheaper than a new 16gb retina iPad mini. Also, new models are being announced tomorrow.

It’s a copy/paste from the product page. The one we are selling is Wi-Fi only.

Interesting anecdote. Our original iPad which we purchased in November 2010 just started doing this on rare occasions. We’ve definitely got our money’s worth out of this device at this point and are in the market to get a newer version.

New iPad 3 gets announced tomorrow…

I tried reseting a few times but ithe didn’t get rI’d of the problem.Others on Google also reported doing same without success.

I find it suspicious that a problem like this shows up after more than a year of use!And just when an ios update comes along (for me it was ios 7.) Planned obsolescence?

Perhaps, I don’t really know enough about the subject to speak authoritatively. But if I had to guess, there is a heat related hardware problem that creeps up over time. These little devices are incredibly powerful given their compact form factor. My device is about 4 years old now, and I’ve only seen the problem happen once. This thing has literally been thrown across a room by a 3 year old. And that was 2 years ago! It has also been dropped and otherwise abused for its entire life. I’m impressed with the build quality.

@lorenzodemedici, this hardware obsolescence is due to competitively driven feature/performance growth.

The smartphone and tablet markets are still new relative to PC’s, TV’s, and Washing machines.

Competition demands new features. Those features demand new hardware. Earlier hardware was not designed to handle those new features.

Once these markets stabilize (already starting to happen with 2 year old or newer smart phones and tablets), the problem you are describing will abate.

Specific to Apple, they know if they artificially (non-performance related) make their products obsolete, there is a fair chance their customers will cross-shop the Android market.

@timkelly69,
As a result of it being “Manufacturer Reconditioned” and “Warranty: 1 Year Apple”, that indicates Apple has replaced the back and battery as they do with all their tablet and phone official refurbs.

It also implies that even though you are buying it here, Apple will likely allow you to buy “Apple Care” for it. (Woot should be able to confirm this.)

Indeed.

Apple FAQ, see #3

You should add… However Apple does not require you to update your device. Most companies don’t even add the features in new updates for devices. At least apple attempts to make the new features work even for older devices.

If you are having problems I would recommend you restore back to the older iOS

At most you are forcing yourself to buy the new devices because you are making the choice to update to the new software. :stuck_out_tongue: