Apple Charging Case for iPhone XS or XS MAX

Apple Charging Case for iPhone XS or XS MAX

Do these charge the phone wirelessly or does the case plug into the lightning port on the phone?

Please see comments below - I got this one wrong :upside_down_face:

Original post:
These cases were designed to both wirelessly charge your phone (if you have the appropriate model, which is the iPhone XS or XS Max for this sale), and to be wirelessly charged for itself. It does not block your normal Lightning port at all, and has no physical ports of its own to use - Strictly a wireless accessory, but without getting in the way of other wired devices.

One convenient aspect is that it can do passthrough charging - If set in a higher wattage (7.5W is Apple’s common power profile) wireless charger, it will prioritize charging your phone, but also work to provide charge to the battery. Or it can simply fill whichever is not full.

Hope that helps!

[MOD: info may be incorrect. See post below.]

2 Likes

This is completely incorrect information…

The Apple Smart Battery Case has an internal lightening connector that the iPhone plugs into when you slide it into the case. The iPhone communicates to the case circuitry via the lighting cable as well as charges.

The battery case itself can be charge with a qi wireless pad or via its own lightening connector.

2 Likes

U can get the black zagg xs max battery cases for $9.99 with free shipping at zagg dot com

So is this made by Apple? It’s got the Apple logo on it which would be a violation of trademark if it wasn’t an Apple product.

Yes, we write in the Features that this was Designed by Apple.

Yup - Messed part of that up with a different case.

This case can be charged wirelessly (or at least allows a wireless charge), and then passes power on through a lightning connector. There is a separate Lightning port to serve as a pass-through for data or power.

Thanks for the catch.

Anyone know why it wouldn’t work on iphone x?

That’s a great question. iPhone X and XS have the same form factor, so many cases are interchangeable. But apparently there are minor differences in camera protrusion and speaker placement that may make this case’s fit slightly imprecise. Per this review, it still works close to flawlessly:

(Tested: Using the iPhone XS Smart Battery Case on the iPhone X | AppleInsider)

Thanks for the info.

I received this Apple iPhone XS Max smart battery case, I plugged into my iPhone XS max, yet inside the case where you’re expecting to see the model number serial number and Apple details inside of the case, it’s blank looking like this is agent a rip off of the real product. Also when plugged in it’s not registering the information as though this is the smart case. Is this actually a knock off far is truly made by Apple? I have seen too many rip off items that look 100% like Apple products they’re actually scams.

Hi there. Sorry for the late answer. I wanted to verify with our team. These cases are authentic. They were sourced by our vendor directly from Apple.

If you’re unhappy with the case, reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

1 Like

I never knew my phone could charge apples. How close do the apples need to be?

Can I recharge my phone using the apple later on?

Got my case today. It doesn’t charge my phone when attached. If I put it on a wireless charger it will show up on the screen but it never recognizes or charges once I take it off the charge. Same thing when plugged in.

1 Like

Same thing here, case shows a green light indicating it is fully charged, iPhone says it is completely empty.

edit: Ordered a second one for my husband, mine was an XS, his an XS Max, his doesn’t work either. Incredibly disappointed in Woot and feeling like I can’t trust the quality of their merchandise anymore. 1/2 is a fluke, sometimes things just don’t work, 2/2 is making me feel like someone knew these had a high failure rate.

1 Like

@FoxHoundADAM @johncmckee

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

OK, fair is fair, after contacting Woot my money was fully refunded, but something still didn’t sit right with me so I did some more research…

I will receive final confirmation Monday when our two cases are supposed to be swapped out at an Apple Retail store but what I was told by Apple over the phone tonight is they are actually genuine Apple products, and they were part of a recall/replacement program:

https://support.apple.com/iphone-xs-xs-max-xr-smart-battery-case-replacement

Fingers crossed, it looks like Apple is still going to honor their replacement. Still not cool that Woot sold me two products that were apparently known (Even if not by Woot), to be defective, but it looks like I am going to be made whole on the this, even if it has taken some research and legwork that I shouldn’t have to do.

2 Likes

I also got a defective case - shows that it’s charging while connected to lightning, but then when I unplug the lightning cable, it’s at 0% charged. I’m contacting woot support…

Please Read

Hi all! We talked with our vendor. Our units were received after the recall was issued so they shouldn’t be affected by it. As an extra precaution, the vendor did open and check each case (hence, New - Open Box condition).

They said it’s possible a few may have slipped through. If you get a defective unit, you can:

a) contact Woot! CS for a return/refund
~or~
b) contact Apple to do an exchange.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks!