Apple iPhone 4S 16GB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-refurbished-iphone-4s-16gb-smartphone-unlocked-mc918ll-a-black/1307617717.p?id=mp1307617717

best buy 169 with free shipping

[MOD EDIT] Slightly different model.

Since the warranty is through woot rather than Apple, I’m going to guess that these were not refurbished by Apple. That’s too bad because Apple does a nice job. Who knows how old the battery is in these things?

Unless it’s refurb’d by apple, I’d be wary. I got a refurb’d iPod touch through Woot, and it would have been better classified as used. They didn’t even do a reset on the thing. IT still had the old user’s setup: Mikey’s iPod". Good thing Mikey wasn’t too smart and used 1234 as his password, or I would have been beat.

How the heck do you sell a product with an And/Or statement?

A verizon phone won’t work with AT&T (and vice versa). There is no option to pick the carrier before purchase so what is this, a crap shoot?

Verizon 4G phones are GSM unlocked. All you need is a GSM sim card and your good to go. Their LTE network works on GSM bands

These phones are

UNLOCKED for GSM so you can use them on AT&T, T-Mobile and some pre-paid networks.

LOCKED for CDMA meaning it only works on the Verizon CDMA network.

Exactly! WTF?

They need to 'splain that WAY better…

I bought one of these $10 cheaper (w/free S&H) here: http://www.pageplusphonestore.com/Apple-iPhone-4S-Refurbished.html

When I got it the Wi-Fi died right away and I found out that is a common problem with the 4S.

I’d consider buying from here even though it’s $10 more if there is a GUARANTEE the Wi-Fi works right.

for more on this and the CRAZY fix (which actually worked for me for just a few minutes), google: iPhone 4s grayed out Wi-Fi button

These phones are

UNLOCKED for GSM so you can use them on AT&T, T-Mobile and some pre-paid networks.

LOCKED for CDMA meaning it only works on the Verizon CDMA network.

Is this on iOS 6 or iOS 7?

Don’t have that info for each phone. Most likely comes with the OS that the phone came with oringally. You can install upgrades up to the version supported by the phone.

I’m no techie, but I understood that once unlocked, a phone works on GSM ONLY. You can’t use it on CDMA, BECAUSE it is unlocked. That’s sort of the point…if unlocked, you are limited, and the providers who offer service with unlocked phones are not the CDMA network ones (Verizon and Sprint, I believe…)

[This after countless hours reading about the options after an unlocked phone purchase].

So it seems bizarre that an unlocked phone “suddenly” works on both systems, when all other US unlocked phones only work on the GSM one…
And yup, it sure sounds either/or in the title…

Anyone with actual tech knowledge able to address this???

What I was told:

Rather than building a different phone for each carrier, they now build the technology for GSM & CDMA in all the phones. When you set up with the carrier, it will enable the phone on the correct technology.

Yes. What he said.