Apple iPod 3rd Generation 8GB Nano

This “Macs don’t get viruses” thing just needed to die in the 90’s, seriously. I owned an Amiga 500 computer back in the 90’s and trust me, the same thing was said about those machines as well. The reality of it is simply the fact that computer viruses aren’t just some random anomalies floating around in the atmosphere… they are malicious computer programs specifically designed to wreak havoc.

Given this, if you’re a geek wanting to cause some problems, are you going to write your virus so that it can only infect less than 10% of the population of computers, are you going to go for the majority. It only makes sense. So, many more viruses get written for PCs and many more PCs get infected as a result. The irony is if this whole “Macs don’t get viruses” store helps sell more Macs, and Macs eventually become the majority, then the majority of viruses will be Mac viruses, and people will try pushing PCs with the whole “PCs never get viruses” mantra.

So, it is true to a point… there are fewer Mac viruses… but they do still exist. Macs are nice… I like their OS design better than Windows, honestly. But I will continue to use Windows until:

1. The majority of software is written primarily for Macs.
    …or…
  2. Software doesn’t matter anymore.

If Google has its way, and the future consists of “software as a service” that is all web based, then the operating system will matter less and less… and Macs will be more and more appealing EXCEPT when it comes to the price tag. Bring the price down, and Macs will really rock. In the meantime, if they were to release the Mac’s operating system for PCs, and I’d pay money for it. In the meantime, I’m just going to use the system that has the largest base of compatibility on the planet.

Speaking of planetary compatibility, I thought it was hilarious that in Independence Day, they used a Mac to upload a virus to infect the mother ship. This means:

1. Alien technology consists of Macs.
  2. Mac viruses must exist.

I’d have to disagree with you, there. I swear that 80% or more of the employees at the Googleplex use a Mac laptop of sorts. Maybe it is more from the anti-Microsoft mentality than anything, but it is true. And while not all of them are geniuses, there is definitely a large concentration of genius-kind there.

You just made my point! Apple sends out a lot of DOA hardware. Perhaps, this is the reason they only have a small percent of the market. As an example, just research the iPhone which was a joke in my opinion considering the price…

I’ve gotta say I like the Indian Thriller (with English Lyrics) a little better. It just cracks me up.

Really, probably either way. Keep in mind that the 30 gb Zune is much larger… so if you’re wanting something smaller (in physical size) go with a 4gb or 8gb Zune. Really, though, it just comes down to price. Find a Zune on sale, get the Zune. Find an iPod on sale, get the iPod.

A nice thing about the Zune is you can sync it with your computer without ever plugging it in. It can sync wirelessly. The nice thing about the iPod is that it probably has more third-party accessories since it is more popular. Hopefully this helps you decide.

Well of course, Windows is still the dominant operating system, by a wide margin I should say. Software manufacturers figure they can make more money by making their product for Windows. I am bringing up a point that other people brought up about the iPod: just because it is the most popular or widely used doesn’t mean it is the best product out there. Windows got ahead of Apple early in the stages of personal computer development by licensing their OS to multiple manufacturers instead of staying proprietary, as Apple did. That, along with other contributing factors helped Windows become the mainstay of computing that it is today. Windows did not get ahead because it was a better OS, it got ahead because of business decisions made by multiple companies.

but you didnt get a status of a proud owner of an apple logo :slight_smile:

I would, but I’m a little short on expendable income at the moment…

Woah, for a minute there I thought you said “I like to share my husband…” I thought the topic of conversation was going to a whole new level.

Look at his feedback where he was negged for selling a counterfeit iPod. A white click wheel on a black iPod. i think not.

NOBODY sells things for less than they pay for them. This includes eBay sellers. A $50 brand-new iPod of any model is stolen or counterfeit.

Hate on haters, but i just lost my 2nd gen and I’m in for one. Warrenty? 1 year from Apple? Breaks on the 366th day. Refurb’d maybe 367 days. Whats the worst that could happen with 8GB flash memory? It has AIDS? Oh well, I’m in for 1!!! Play on players.

I paid $250.00 for a brand new 8G 3gen nano when they first came out. I liked it so much I just bought 2 more. I’ve got a 30G brown Zune, a Sansa e240, a creative zen V, several sansa m200’s plus a few other iPods and other media players. This is by far my favorite. The sound is excellent and the picture is the best I’ve seen. With all the media players I’ve got, THIS is the one I use the most…

I agree. The same can be said for Beta vs VHS years ago. Beta was technically superior but VHS won out due to the Marketing hype back in those days…and one could only find the VHS format in rental video tape stores. This is just like Blue-Ray has recently beat out DVD for future videos on a disc.

And this is better than my $75 ($55+$20 2GB MicroSD) Sansa how again?

I JUST got my iPod Nano in the mail today. Crap. I can’t believe how small it is… seriously. It looks like a teeny square piece of sheet metal.
BTW, Refurbished is the only way to go.

I think we should start calling recycled paper, refurbished paper.

You also need to look at two other important factors. Beta was more expensive making vhs a better look to consumers during those times. Sony also had the luxury of a movie studio and alternate platform, ps3 versus standard player, in their corner.

I bought a 4GB on sellout a couple of weeks back, and wish I hadn’t. After using my woot-purchased Zune for so long, trying to adapt to a scroll wheel (especially when running, which is why I bought the nano) is an exercise in patience. The screen itself is pretty, and the GUI is nice looking, but I don’t see how running my thumb in circles is supposed to be a good way to operate a device. I’d be all over a 4GB Zune, if that ever makes its way here. I’m sure it’s a far better player than the nano.

After using the nano, I really wonder why the iPod is so popular. Compared to the Zune – seriously – it’s an inferior device. And if Zune were natively compatible with WMP11 (I use ZAlternator, but it’s a pain), there would seriously be no competition.

They’re too small. Honestly unless you get two and a stereo viewer from 1898 you’ll
be holding $$ from your paycheck to buy the next larger screen. They’ve already got some good pixel density on this unit. Wait till the size is bigger.

I can’t think of any video that’s worth watching on this unit … where you can not expect to
actually enjoy it. Too many negatives? It’s too small to enjoy a video that sucks in the first place.

for me it depends on which iPod you are talking about, if you are talking one w/ a mini hard drive not flash based forget it, seen too many of those in for repairs. If you are talking about flash based like the iPod touch then, yes, iPod is the better product.