Apple iPod Touch 8GB (Current Generation)

I agree. Please don’t tell me! I have two kids in college for god’s sake!

LOL @ current generation… you lost track too huh Woot?

So does the Apple 1 year Warranty not apply to these refurbs?

Thanks very much, much appreciated.

The product description for the SAME MODEL on the Abt Electronics site says that "Voice Control on the new 8GB iPod touch gives you the ability to control music playback with spoken commands. " I’m thinking either a) Abt is wrong and there is no voice control funtion, b) there is voice control but only via a mic headset, or c) there is some sort of built-in mic that allows voice control to work. Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?

http://www.abt.com/product/42285/Apple-MC086LLA.html

Authorized for SquareTrade Extended Warranty
for 1 year will only cost you 19.99. Its on the main page in the description. :)! Hope that helps.

Was thinking of biting for use with Skype but it looks like even with IOS4 you would not be able to multitask. Will wait till a true 3rd gen technology ipod touch comes to Woot. I understand Woot’s “current generation” to mean 2nd gen technology which Apple sold as 3rd gen to low-end consumers (to liquidate inventory?).

There’s a lot of confusion, what with some vendors calling this 3rd gen, and some calling it 2nd (since it came out with the 32Gb and 64GB 3rd gens, but it’s the same as the older 8GB model).

So Woot did the right thing. If they said 2nd gen, people would avoid it as an outdated model, and if they said 3rd gen, people would complain that there isn’t one.

Abt is wrong.

Yes.

Woot also sells the higher capacity 3rd gen models from time to time.

MobileMe is apple’s cloud and sync service - it used to be iDisk and now they sync with apple applications. Not expensive, and you can sync with nearly everything else (e.g. google calendar).

everything else is free, but some better apps cost a few cents, but I’m going entirely free. Skype is free for the app. The built-in features don’t have any hidden costs, but some things will send data back. You need to do the oo.apple.com to opt out.

Hardware is a different story:

It does not come with a microphone - so you might want one for voice memos, or a full ipod headset for Skype.

The stainless steel scratches easily, and I worry about the front, so a case might help to. And an extra USB adaptor and/or car charger - the battery is not user replaceable.

You can do bluetooth A2DP for stereo, but you might also need one of the fancier A/V cables if you want to watch video or other things on a larger screen.

(overstock.com often has sales and coupons and has these fairly cheap, but some products have lower quality, YMMV).

If the serial number shows it to have been originally placed into service over 1 year ago then you only have a 90 day warranty. Otherwise you have whatever is left of the original one year warranty from the date it was first sold or 90 days whichever is longer. If you buy it at the Apple store you get a “fresh” start on the one year.

even thought w00t says 90 day warranty from them…you can check the serial on apples website and it will tell you if it is still under apple warranty

If you are willing to wait 2-3 weeks for shipping form Asia, DealExtreme has accessories, such as cases and USB cables, for really low prices. I’ve been happy with the quality of what I got from them.

Anyone with an IPOD touch start out with the smaller version and been disappointed because it was too small and didn’t hold enough?

Price seems good but if I am going to want a bigger capacity, then I might just wait till I have the cash for a 32 or 64.

Anyone with an IPOD touch start out with the smaller version and been disappointed because it was too small and didn’t hold enough?

Price seems good but if I am going to want a bigger capacity, then I might just wait till I have the cash for a 32 or 64.

Stay away from refurbs on Woot! I’m not sure who/where they get them, but I’ve had a few really bad experiences with them in the past, and now I just don’t buy refurbs from them at all.

• Motorola mobile phone
  • Sansa Sandisk MP3 player
  • Roomba

Not sure if it has been said already, but in iOS4, double-clicking the home button does bring up the multitask bar, but if you the swipe your finger to the right (moving you to the far left panel of the multitask bar) you should find the iPod controls there. Double-clicking while the iPod/iPhone is ‘locked’ will bring up the music controls if you locked it while playing music.

Word of caution: I found this by installing iOS4 on my 3GS, so I’m not 100% sure it will work for the touch.

I checked for an 4.0.1 update last night and it said that there wasn’t one, at least there isn’t an update for Ipod.

Was gonna buy at Apple.com for the 1yr warranty but with tax was $158. I’ll stick with $135 at WOOT! and the 90-day warranty. If I like it I think I’ll promptly sell it to get one with more memory anyway.
thanks WOOT!!