Apple Mac Mini Intel i5 1TB SATA Desktop

You didn’t notice it comes with a 1-year warranty. That’s pretty good for a “massively obsolete computer.”

I wouldn’t count on it. As much as I love my Macs, Apple has moved toward disposable computers. I suspect my 2017 iMac will be the last non-Pro desktop that allows for upgrades. As for laptops, I’m still using my early-2011 MBP. It came with 4gb of RAM and was upgraded first with 8gb and now has 16gb. The never-used optical drive was replaced long ago with a SSD. This allowed me to buy a mid-level machine and upgrade it to suit my needs over time. Now I have to decide between buying the most expensive configuration I can afford or replacing my laptop every couple of years. Either way that’s more money in Apple’s pockets.

Gee, I wonder why they’ve created appliance computers…? :wink:

I didn’t find it too difficult. Yes, you have to remove the entire guts of the machine to gain access to the drive bays, but I upgraded my 2011 Mini several times, also adding a second drive (iFixIt sells a kit that comes with the necessary proprietary SATA cable). The first time took an hour or two. The second and third times took under an hour.

The Mac Mini is a slick little box, but I think most of us (at least those of us whose name isn’t Jonny Ive) would prefer a larger, more easily upgradable box.

I recently upgraded my 2012 model to max RAM and Dual SSD. I use it for recording security cameras, 3D printing software, and media server.
I haven’t found anything to replace it yet.

On the Windows side I like what they’ve done with the Intel NUC and Gigabyte Brix for example. Add a lot of ports, RAM sockets, space for dual 2.5 or m2 drives, external power supply.

If Apple went back to an external PS for the mini, it would reduce the heat load inside. Yes not as elegent or streamlines but the overall volume of a NUC+power supply is still less than a Mini. Also, the Brix chassis is all aluminum and is used as a heat sink, so no CPU fan.

Sometimes Apple’s design form goes overboard to the detriment of function.

/rant

Woot u can do better!

I’m just going to stay the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks out of this one if that’s OK with y’all