Apple

This statement is entirely untrue. OS X Yosemite which isn’t been released yet will run on this Macbook.

This is the official list from Apple.

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Additionally Aperture is now end of life anyway, as announced by Apple on June 27, 2014. BUT, all of the programs you listed WILL run on this Macbook.

Sorry, Mactracker says that the earliest C2D white Macbook will run up to Lion 10.7.5.

This version is the May 2009 Macbook, released shortly after the 13" aluminum unibody version. This is a full 64 bit Mac which will run Mavericks and supports 6GB of RAM in the real world. Just trying to clarify.

I like “CustoMac” better. Today’s Computer Woot! the HP Elitebook 8440p would be a great candidate. It’s $100 less than the CD2 Macbook and has a Core i5. It does have Intel WiFi, which Apple doesn’t support but you can easily swap in a Broadcom card. Check out TonyMacX86 for details.

Man, if these were Apple Certified Refurbished MacBooks I would get one in a heartbeat. Mostly for nostalgia, but max the ram and toss in an SSD and I think it would be a good spare machine or couch surfer for quite some time. As it is, god knows what condition these are in being refurbished by a third party, so to me it’s not worth the gamble. Good to see older Apple tech on woot tho!

Yes, I’d spring myself. I don’t have a Macbook but this would be perfect for me with an SSD. As you said, my only concern is third party refurbished. I have bought so many reliable Apple Certified Refurbished Macs I can’t remember. They all got maximum usage and were put out to pasture only when Apple moved on. If it were the early 2010 polycarb unibody, at this price, that’s a no brainer.

Any comments from the experts on the iMacs? I would like the more expensive one if it’s a good deal.

Not worth it. At that price, look at the refurbished iMac 27" units on the Apple Store website. Two years newer units at the same price, with full 1 year Apple warranty (and ability to buy the 3-year AppleCare warranty).

Whomever is refurbishing these has a wildly overinflated sense of what they are worth.

Thanks! I need Firewire connectivity and a CD drive, but I can get both of those as add ons to the Apple certified products.

I actually never said anything about Mavericks…so. What i said was that the Final Cut Pro and Aperture is geared now twords the Retina display driver and not this antiquated driver therefore it WILL NOT RUN. I have personal experience with this and upgraded my system to retina based hardware… search the forums before you respond. Whether the OS can be upgraded is irrelevant if you can’t get the apps to work correctly.

Will it run Final cut pro?? Again I never said anything about Mavericks… kind of odd that that is the only thing you guys keep mentioning.

We were directly responding to your first comment “Good luck getting Snow Leopard to run.” Not only will Snow Leopard run, but Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks will as well.

In any case, retina-enabled apps still run on non-retina screens. I’m not sure what difficulties you had, but they aren’t related to retina vs. non-retina. If they require newer graphics processors (which has nothing to do with whether or not the system has a Retina display), that’s entirely possible - but I would suspect that anyone buying a 5-year-old laptop with 2 gigabytes of RAM would not be likely to be wanting to run Final Cut Pro or Aperture (which is discontinued anyway, BTW).

Oh, and I think it was already pointed out that these are a bad buy, so this whole discussion is moot.

Or a mac mini- you’d have enough left over for a monitor

YES, it will… This is straight from Apple’s OWN website, not your personal opinion. The unit has 2GB of Ram, but the swap is easy, and is 34.00 or less to upgrade.
Minimum
System Requirements
OS X v10.9.2 or later
4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K)
OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K)
3.5GB of disk space

These specs say nothing as bout “Retina” displays. If that was a requirement, then it would not run on ANY iMac, Mac Mini, or EVEN Mac PRO because NONE of those systems are “retina” capable.

Again, the only reason this would not run is the RAM which is easily and cheaply upgraded.

Aperture requirements are even lower…

Minimum
One of the following Intel-based Mac computers with Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor:
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
MacBook
MacBook Air
iMac
Mac mini
Operating system:
Mac OS X v10.9 (or later)
Memory:
2GB of RAM
4GB of RAM required for Mac Pro

Again, these specs are from Apple’s website, it took me 30 seconds to look them up, it is NOT some anecdotal evidence from the support forums.

btw - B&H Photo (bhphoto.com) has the best price on AppleCare (3 year warranty) I have ever seen! *as least that was the case about 3 months ago - and is openly discussed on the Apple Forums…

Shipped very fast! No issues with verifying & just made a call to Apple about an issue with my refurbished MBRr…

So what have we learned today. These laptops are seriously old. They can now run Final Cut pro and Aperture but just very very sluggish unless you spend more to upgrade them.

Running and effectiveness of course are two different things.

Good luck with your new 2009 refurb mac! :slight_smile: Now its moot, cuz I said not you.

Cunningham’s Law
“The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it’s to post the wrong answer.”

I wanted to say about quality of device.
It’s arrived in a white box.
Padded. No manual. Don’t need a manual for an iPad… Charger brand new,
No damage. Screen great. No scratches anywhere.

Working fine, but it is ios 5, so some apps won’t install.

Just remember… $109
Great price.

My dumb-head bought the iMac. It would have been a good deal but it doesn’t actually turn on. I know how to use this type of machine, it is what I have at work. Yes, it is plugged in, to an outlet with power.

:frowning: I e-mailed Woot support last night and haven’t heard back yet today.

I received a 64gB iPad 3G, physically it is in nice shape. However it took many hours of being plugged in before it would power on. And after being plugged in for 12 hours it is only showing that it has 2% of battery power.

Once it finally booted it is saying there is no SIM card in it.

Hi there. Let’s see if I can help.

Charging: Make sure you’re charging via a wall outlet. A computer will not have enough juice to charge a tablet.

SIM Card: You get the SIM card from AT&T when you set up a data plan with them.

Thanks, it was plugged into the included charger that took many hours to even get it to 2%. After I finally got it to boot the charging was quicker for whatever reason.

iPads shipped with SIM cards originally. I would have thought that would have been included. The nice thing about how it worked originally is you didn’t have to sign a contract to get service. You could just get service for a month at a time if desired and could purchase that on the device itself.

Thanks,

Shawn