Arcadian Santa Ynez Valley Syrah

Such an amazing hidden jewel of a Syrah! This is one of my local favorites.

Can I just order 1. I don’t want 4. I’m curious as to how beef jerky tastes in a wine…

I love syrah from this region and loved the Stolpman winery syrah I had a few years ago. But the racks are full, so not this time.

I have a feeling there is not a lot of this to go around.

NYC, who wants to split?
:slight_smile:

Joe, get out of bed (or off the tractor) and on the computer, it’s almost lunchtime back east! I’d text you a picture of Elvis but you changed your cell number right after you gave it to me.

Just kidding. Excellent wine!!!

+1

There’s something about the Central Coast- Santa Ynez, Paso, Santa Lucia Highlands. As widely planted as it is, Syrah likes the Central Coast and the Central Coast likes Syrah.

I’ve got a bottle of the Arcadian Stolpman Vineyard from the same vintage. I’m curious to hear the winemaker’s thoughts on the differences between that Syrah and this one.

Yes, I’d like to know the difference as well. The Stolpman seems to go for a little more. I’m guessing it’s because the grapes are from a better/more exclusive vineyard?

No delivery to Kansas or Missouri? Usually at least one of them is on the list. Sooo sad.

this is the wine my wife and I served at our wedding. it’s a well-rounded syrah with some earthy and peppery notes. we’re planning to hold onto ours for a few years. enjoy!

I like the numbers on this wine and if Stillman likes it, it should be good.

I though morning in CA was about 6 hours ago…

I agree Scott - this looks to be right up my alley - I’m in for 2!

We do not micro ox wines, in fact we have built a reputation on working in a reductive environment. Let’s remember this wine spent 22 months in barrel and if we had micro oxed here it would have been to much in my opinion. See the fact sheet for levels of dissolved O2. While I recognize that Syrah has a propensity to produce excessive sulfides for which additional oxygen can bind up. We also recognize the benefits of the absence of oxygen in long term development. My interest lies in whats evolves in the bottle over the long term.

Speaking of long term, I’ve got more Syrah than I have room for, but could drink up some older stores I need to get rid of. Properly cellared, how long could this wait till I get around to it?

Westerly is located on the far eastern side of the Santa Ynez Valley. It is much warmer than the Ballard Canyon where Stolpman Vineyard is located.

Soils are quite different with Stolpman you have a great deal of limestone throughout wile Westerly is more clay loam with red chirt throughout. These contribute in many ways to the texture of the wines in terms of calcium levels. to my mind Stolpman has always been the most elegant Syrah we produce while Westerly is a bit more brambly and forward. To say the least they are very different and stand out as excellent representatives of their respective sites.

I have been working with Westerly since 2003 so this is the third vintage from this site for Arcadian. As I mentioned in an earlier post we are interested in the evolution over a long period of time, so our focus is on preserving the structure of the wine by protecting against excessive oxygenation. In a word I would expect this to drink well for 15 years from vintage and perhaps longer. This also depends upon how you prefer your wines due you like them in a primary state with more up front fruit or due you prefer the subtle nuance of older wines?

Pretty much the answer I was -hoping- for. There are plenty of new-world bottles out there, I have some I need to dispose of.
I, but not my wallet, thank you for the push.
Glad you made up here for Q&A, it’s what makes this place so special.
Last wooter to woot: rjquillin
Hoping you get your sell-out.

Scott,

I remember selling you a bunch of used barrels back when I was making wine at Morgan. You drove down in an old pickup with side fences and stacked three or four high and strapped them down. It must of been 1988 or 89!

No shipping to Iowa just saved me $70, but I would have loved to try this.