Are airfryers really worth the hype?

Look. We use ours almost daily. It is wonderful for all kinds of things and when only cooking for the two of us, it keeps us from having to use our range oven.

1 Like

Absolutely, I make some mean potatoes all the time. My guests rave about my potatoes. They call ahead and place orders. :joy:

Iā€™m going to do something that I never thought possible. I am going to agree with @bsmith1 butā€¦

One thing that bugs the hell out of me, though, is that they call these ā€œair fryersā€. There is nothing FRYING about it. Itā€™s a freaking convection ovenā€¦ basically itā€™s a glorified toaster oven. Butā€¦ we all know that words no longer mean anythingā€¦ :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I agree. Toaster oven that circulates the air and different form-factor.

Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

Huh. I use my Instant Pot frequently. Yes, weā€™ve had some blah meals but thatā€™s been true of recipes Iā€™ve tried on the stovetop or in the oven, too. Weā€™ve had far more good, very good, or excellent results. Admittedly, they are most suited to soups, things that normally require a long braise, etc. Awesome for chili or other soups/stews that use dried beans. I think itā€™s more about using the right recipe than trying to use it for everything like so many do.

Hell YES!!! They are the best for reheating pizza, mcD Fries, left over crab Rangoon. And if you get one of those rotisserie chickens where the skins not crisp enough. Zap it in a air fryer and you will wonder why you didnā€™t buy it sooner.

I get all that but donā€™t you already have an over that can do that? Plus I never really could get things crispy in mine. Things were toasted better in the oven or toaster oven.

We tried about a dozen things and nothing came out good. Meat was always dry or had an odd consistency. If I remember correctly a number recipes wanted us to sear things first in cast iron which seemed to be against the grain of what the device was advertised as.

Yes!!! I use mine almost every day. You can make so many things with a fraction of the energy consumption and time. It wonā€™t make your whole house hot like an oven.

TL, DR
There are many options to suit different needs. The biggest things to note, prior to purchase, is that the digital ones have more accuracy with temperature but the ones with a physical temperature knob and timer have no electronic parts that can go bad which means it can last much longer.

They can be loud, so if noise bothers you, look for one with a quiet fan.

Also, look for dishwasher safe parts for faster cleanup.

1 Like

No

What do these mean?

NO!!
I mainly say this because I canā€™t even FIND a REAL Cool-touch Countertop Deep-fryer :poultry_leg:

I truly appreciated Hot :chicken: Wings once I was able to fry them up fresh at home; mix right ratio of Louisiana Hot Sauce to Real Butter.
(Not soggy. Not so spicy :hot_face: youā€™re sweating)

mmm want wing-eee :chicken:

It makes perfect crispy wings without oil AND actually leaves like 2 tablespoons of fat oil from the wings at the bottom (made 3 lbs)! Worth it just for that in my book. Also does frozen fries without extra oil.

1 Like

Tongue-Licking Duck Roast

Not all air fryers are equal.
They are mini convection ovens .
I have 4. 2 Philipps, a Breville and a daily deal one.

The breville is a multi function toaster oven with a convection option. The daily deal one is multi function with rotisserie. The phillips is far and wide the best to make chicken wings in . 22 minutes and they are cooked to perfection ( my regular oven takes over 2 hours to achieve this).
The Phillips out performs the other 2 by so much , I bought a spare! The other 2 I keep for the other functions. I do a lot of toasting, roasting and baking in the Breville. The DD one I use the dehydrate function to make jerky and the rotisserie for chicken.
The phillips is also the simplest to use, 2 options, time and temperature. Very hard to screw anything up. I have never had anything under or overcooked in it. Iā€™ve cooked all types of protein, veg and baked in it.

I can see practical reasons why people donā€™t want air fryers or instantpots. But I canā€™t understand the people who bash them. They both work well and you can cook such a variety of food and bake in both.
If your food is bland, thatā€™s on you. Penzeyā€™s, Laboite and spice house will help you!

1 Like

Rich!

The best thing in the world is hot tortilla chips and hot cheese! Use the air fryer to heat up the chips! It does an excellent job!

P. S. You can use a food thermometer to check for cooking safety and mine reached the recommended temperatures.

Yes and noā€¦
Great for wings and fries etc but donā€™t like the cleanup

1 Like

TL;DR is an abbreviation for "too long; didnā€™t read " that is used to indicate that the person posting about an article or other type of content either didnā€™t read the text it in its entirety or didnā€™t read it at all.