Armida “Two Vintage” Barbera - 3 Pack

Historically, in the 18th and 19th, and much of the early 20th century, vintage dating was unusual - reserved for exceptional years and exceptional wines even in those years.

In California, except for a small number of premium wineries, principally in the Napa Valley and a few in Sonoma county, even varietal wines were not vintage dated by many producers before the late 1960s, and, in some cases, into the 1970s. For example, Christian Brothers first vintage dated Cabernet was, I think, 1974.

Many wineries, going back to the California Wine Association (which encompassed the majority of better wineries before Prohibition) preferred the freedom to be able to blend wines from various years to achieve consistent quality in all but the flagship wines.

I remember in the mid-1970s, Spring Mountain marketed a blend of three vintages of Cabernet at a bargain price (largely though Trader Joe’s IIRC) called Les Trois Cuvees that was quite good. I think it was a blend of '74, 75 and '76. IIRC, this was juice that wasn’t otherwise up to snuff from each year to put in the top wine, but could marry well with the weaker lots from the other vintages to make a reasonable blend. Smart.

The 2006 Barbera was offered before under the La Familia label. Both Barbera’s are from the same blocks from Snow’s Lake Vineyard in Lake County. The only difference is the vintage. The wines were both made at our home ranch by the same winemaking team. The two wines are very similar, with the Armida Barbera is a bit more balanced, due to the inclusion of two vintages.

Perhaps this.

Oh! Jessica the (ex-)winemaker. I thought Richard was still talking to me and referring to Jessica, my girlfriend.

Apologies for the confusion, and yes, congratulations are indeed in order for the new mother! :slight_smile:

Well despite me not wanting to buy anything else this month, I’m in for one. I’m a sucker for the not so common varietals and I really enjoyed the 2006 version of this, there is just no way I could pass this up. :slight_smile:

LOL I’d entirely forgotten in that context about your gf being called Jessica (and worse, since I know her too!). Indeed I can see how my post would have been confusing :smile:

I want to try some of this stuff. I love Barbera. Do you have any reviews, anyone… Who tried the Famiglia?? Here’s CT for Famiglia, which is the 05 version of this 07/08 Barbera.

Sorry for the arm twisting, but the wine is totally worth it.

I just watched the winery video on the Poizen bottles…very cool, I’d love to have one!

I need to visit this winery next time I head up 101N.

I am flat-out busted, but if you have the money, you really should buy this!

You can thank me later…

For those on the fence, this is well worth a read:

ttp://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3838006&PageIndex=1

I don’t have anything to say about the sale…but I officially proposed to my Amanda tonight. I figured I might as well let Woot know that I’m officially taken given that I’m such an amazing catch.

Better luck next time Wootesses! :stuck_out_tongue:

Corked a bottle this past weekend. Gotta say…wonderful!

Just opened one of these. It’s so hot my mouth is burning. Strawberries and I think vanilla n the background. Might be ced. Nice mouth feel but it’s SO hot on the swallow. We’ll have to let this one sit a bit.

I opened it up Friday early afternoon, had first glass Friday around 7:30pm. It was good, but I too felt it to be hot and a little young.

Second night was better.

Third night was incredible, smooth, great mouth feel. My wife commented how good it was, not having tasted it on the first or second night. Next time I will decant for 2 - 3 hours.

This is a VERY nice wine. Glad I bought 6 bottles. Thanks WD!