Arris SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Check out the product page

Tons of Reviews and 4.5 Stars over at Amazon

I bought this from amazon about a year ago. I have comcast and it works great. I have only had to reset it a couple times, and I am never sure if it is my router or the modem. Comcast allows all 16 channels downs, but the cap of 50 for my speed is still in place. I think the extra channels allow for a more sustained download rate at peak times. In the past, on a rented 8 channel modem, I experienced slow downs around early evening/prime time.

Comcast customers be aware; Comcast is planning to go to DOCSIS 3.1 by the end of the year; the fate of all non-compliant modems has yet to be decided. Be forewarned.

Would this work for Time Warner? They just raised the rental price for modems. Too bad Google Fiber isn’t coming to my town any time soon. :frowning:

hey everyone… Captain_Steve is correct. just got off the phone with my TWC rep and she said DOCSIS 3.1 is coming really soon for my area and is already in NYC (i am an hour north of NYC). so i am holding off. however, i see you can’t buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem anywhere yet. so keep that in mind as well

This is a bit misleading. Comcast will be D3.1 in only a handful of markets by years end. For most of the country, we will not see D3.1 for 1.5-2.5 years. Markets that have Google fiber and/or ATT Gigapower will get D3.1 first.

In addition, d3.0 modems will continue to work on a d3.1 network. Also TWC does not yet have d3.1 anywhere, so whoever said it was already in NYC is 100% wrong.

Is DOCSIS 3.0 hardware or software related? Can a DOCSIS 3.0 be upgraded to 3.1?

NO, can’t be upgraded.

I have Verizon FIOS. Is there someone who knows for sure how compatible it would be?

It’s not compatible at all. FIOS is fiber not cable. This is a cable modem.

I contacted Arris and their modems are not compatible with Verizon Fios.

Also, if you have X1 with Comcast, or a modem now that handles your landline phone, you will lose the phone jack. I’ve been looking for a Docsis 3.0/3.1 modem that has both RJ-45 and RJ-11 for my phone line, but can’t seem to find much…

Look into an ooma. I had phone service through comcast, but bought my own modem and an ooma. The ooma was about $100, but other than a couple bucks a month (for 911 and taxes) it is free. There was a small fee to port my old number over (~$25 I think). Saves a bundle and service has been very good.

Yes it does. It’s under the 300 Mbps list