ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Headset + Base - PS4

ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Headset + Base - PS4

Just got mine, totally understand why this is refurbished, it doesn’t ship with enough cables to make the thing work. (This is completely wrong, but it took me a while to figure out, charges fine though the mini USB cord but that isn’t clear out of the box.) Just to be clear, it came with everything it says it comes with but that doesn’t include a usb A male to usb A male cord that makes the base station charge the headset. Additionally mine came open box with no manual and packed wrong.

The headset fit is great, my jughead is comfortable. (if you have to wear your snap back baseball hat with only the last snap connected, this will fit.) I know the description says sounds isolating earmuffs but… this is an open backed design, I can talk just fine to someone in the same room or watch tv at normal volumes while wearing them. They’re charging via the USB port on the headphones and I’ll let ya know how they actually function tomorrow.

1 Like

How did they work?

Sorry for the delay, work suddenly needed extra hours.

Tried using the headset with the base station without the software installed to no success, the base station appeared as a usb audio device but didn’t seem to sync the headset until I downloaded the Astro Gaming software. This is when I learned that this is the gen 3 headset that was released in 2016 not the current version that came out last year, it also charges while on the stand without the extra USB cord this cord that is doesn’t come with is apparently for charging through the base when your computer is off but should not be plugged in while actual in use… remember no manual for me.

This software seems pretty beefy but I’m no audiophile, trying to figure out enabling spatial sounds is proving difficult everyone says I should be able to use Dolby Atmos for free but when I download the application it doesn’t recognize my headset and wants me to pay for the service.

Sound is excellent overall, granted I’m upgrading from a 14 year old Gamecom commander headset so your milage may vary. I think it’s worth the price even if I haven’t figured out the spatial sound yet

Voice chat is interesting, the base station appears as 2 separate pairs of headphones, one labeled game the other labeled voice. Set the voice one as the used output for your program of choice and the two buttons on the flat of the right earmuff let you change the balance between voice

2 Likes

My vote is worth it, rather high quality sound if a mildly rough user experience that I will mostly blame on not having a user manual or finding anything more then a quick setup page on the manufacturers website.

Thanks so much for getting back to it! I appreciated your thoughts on it. I’m still on the fence about it, but I hope that you get good mileage out of your pair!