Asus 11.6" Touchscreen Dual-Core Laptop

Yes, supported by Asus. All the info you need is on that page link.

This is actually a great laptop. I have one already and battery life is great. Speed is great for anything other than gaming. STreams Youtube, any other video superquickly. Flash games not so much.
HOWEVER, the price here is not great for a refurbished. I got mine for 189.00 NEW. Like someone else said. 229.00 for someone’s butt sweat? Just do one google search and you’ll find it cheaper and get a warranty.

The specs say a 500GB SATA (5400rpm) so this does not have a SSD. Regardless after reading reviews from Amazon, this is the quickest purchase I have made. (Only delay was getting the wife’s permission…)

I was on the fence about this, but seeing as I already have a hand/forearm I decided to go for it. I will be hooking this up to my 20" monitor, keyboard and mouse and mostly using it as a PC anyway.

I had been looking at the Surface-Pro but this is just about the same thing and I don’t need the dock to hook to my stuff so that makes it that much better.

I’m considering this for my 12 year old son. He’s not a huge gamer, but I’m sure that he’d install a game or two - he is a Minecraft nut. I know relatively nothing about computers. Would this be a good computer for him?

“Wife’s permission”? I don’t need no steenkeeng permission. When I do the laundry, I use whatever detergent I want.

I am also interested if this is a decent Minecraft setup. I would like to get my desktop back from my daughter…

I purchased the ASUS X200CA machine on sell-out Woot in March but it was the 320G HD option. It was presented as having Bluetooth, but in fact it didn’t. So, I raised the matter with Woot, and they offered either a $20 rebate or I could have returned it. I decided to keep it and am glad I did, it is a fine machine. Other than the screen is glossy (laptops with non-glossy screens, are easier to see b/c they don’t reflect other light) and having to learn Win 8.1, it is a very worthwhile machine. And for under $250? A great buy. However, had I known this was coming, I would have waited. But with the BT, I purchased an ASUS BT dongle, as I prefer using a mouse. It uses up one of the USB ports; but the ASUS provides three USB ports, unlike Acer, and others which offer only two, typically. I use a $50 portable DVD drive, which takes two USB ports to operate, when I need it, which is not often

Memory is not upgradeable, 4gb is soldered on the Motherboard. 4gb is enough with Windows 8.1.
Hard drive is 7.0mm height 2.5" laptop drive. There are thin SSD’s available at this height.

I have a Chromebook with 3G. Do any of you tech guys out there know if there is a way to add 3g to this little guy?

/very interested.

A USB 3G/4G modem of some sort. Either that or a MiFi-type device. Nothing that could be added internally, though.

I bought two of these Acer netbooks
http://www.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-one-10-1-6-cell-netbook
in Jan 2010. They’ve been about bullet-proof and still work fine, but are starting to limp a bit. Battery life is short and now WinXP is a problem.

Seems like this would be a reasonable replacement.

If Office is a must, people should look for Asus Transformer T100. It’s a hybrid tablet/laptop with 12 hours of battery life and bundled with Office Home edition (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).

Freedom Pop comes to mind.

Factory reconditioned from a combined Woot / Asus for me meant…getting a defective product, having to pay out of my own pocket to ship it to asus after waiting a month for Woot to respond, getting the product back in the same condition it was shipped in (broken), finally getting shipping labels from woot and asus…several months after the initial event and finally having woot tell me they will just refund my money but not the amount I paid out of pocket to ship it the first time or for the SD Card that was lost. To top it all off, this was a Xmas present so I ended up paying full price to replace it at the last minute because woot was unavailable to answer my complaint.

Interesting. I was seriously looking into the Transformer T100, but the build quality, performance, and placement of the ports (microUSB and microHDMI are too close together), make it less than desirable.

I compared both T100 and X200MA (identical to the CA except the MA doesn’t have bluetooth)and was quite impressed with the X200 for over $100 cheaper ($279 new @ Bestbuy).

I bought the X200 and am delighted with it. As for Office, I have Office 365 and a few spare licenses, so that was an easy add. But if one wants to purchase Office 2013 outright, there are places to purchase it for about $120.

I really appreciate the full-sized VGA port, full-sized HDMI, 3 full-sized USB ports in such a small footprint.

The 11.6" display is small enough for portability and large enough for serious work.

I bought two of these on Black Friday 2013. They are for my kids. So far, they have worked quite well. These were my first Windows 8 machines, and I am okay with that. I do love the family controls MSFT has built in to the OS.

For email, web browsing, and lite word processing (i.e., everything a school-age kid would need), these are nice little netbooks.

FYI, I paid $249 for each new unit on Black Friday, price adjusted down to $199 a few days later when the retailer dropped the price.

Even though this is only a celeron, it’s a pretty decent economy processor- and it will kick the snot out of the atom n270. I think you’ll be pretty happy.

jotopia34109…PLEASE…Produce ‘‘any’’ google search showing where you can ‘‘find it cheaper and get a warranty’’ (and I assume you are implying a warranty better then Woot/Asus’s 90 day warranty)

and fyi for anyone buying one of these…check with your credit card company for any perks…like my Bass Pro MC automatically DOUBLES the warranty I get from the seller. Not as good as a ‘‘year’’ but 180 days twice as good as 90 :slight_smile:

I second bluemidget’s comment. I cannot find this model computer listed anywhere (refurb or new) for less than the listed price. The model with 2GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive is less, but not the model for sale today.