Asus 13.3" Intel i5 Convertible Notebook

The only thing that worries me is the folding feature and the touch screen. For the most part intel graphics drivers work really well in Linux and the synaptics drivers are reliable.

Does anyone know how this unit would behave when folded when running Linux? #askingforafriend

Precisely my question. :slight_smile: Sorry I didn’t state it as such…

Thank you!

I imagine features like the keyboard lockout in flip mode are running in software, so unless it’s already implemented in your distro of choice, you may need to implement it.

FWIW, I bought this today with the expectation of installing Linux on it and expecting the vast majority of things to work based on my past experiences with Asus and Intel-based systems friendliness with Linux.

In for one.

I’ve been looking for a computer for my mom in this price range and in this size/weight range or smaller/lighter. All she needs the computer for is internet browsing and word processing. She’s pretty computer illiterate so I want to get her a windows machine since its an OS she is familiar with and since she’s familiar with the MS Office suite.

However, she isn’t in urgent need of a computer and could wait until Thanksgiving time so that I could get something on Black Friday. Would y’all suggest buying this now or waiting until then?

Thanks for your input!

If my Mom were in need of a new laptop, I’d consider getting this. But you can find a similar deal in non-touch, lesser resolution combos occasionally. So if she’s not likely to use the touch screen, maybe hold out for something with slightly better “other” specs (SSD, faster quad i5, more RAM) with a similar or better price. There are a few things that set this apart, but the 2 biggest things at this price range are touchscreen and resolution.

Thanks! I was really tempted to get one (potentially even for myself!) but I think I’ll hold off. I feel like black friday / cyber monday have great deals, plus it seems like with computers when you wait you get way more bang for your buck in terms of cpu, specs, etc.

In for one and feeling great about the specs at this price point. i5 and 1080p IPS? Yes please.

Any one receive this laptop? Is it looks like new or used?

Thanks in advanced.

I revived mine yesterday.
Looks brand new–pleasantly suprised!!

Received mine today. It came in a large brown cardboard box, inside the box was a huge inflated plastic sleeve holding the laptop/tablet. From the outside, it looks brand new. Unfortunately, it looks like I got one with a bad screen. There are two large “smeared” looking bright spots on the LCD. They are especially noticeable against a dark background.

Imgur
Imgur

I’m trying to decide if I should return and exchange through woot (assuming they have more), or go through ASUS for a repair…This was supposed to be a back to school gift for my daughter so I’ll probably go with whichever is fastest, or get a refund and try to find something equivalent that I can get fast.

I’ll re-post with an update either way.

Received mine today. Came in a plain cardboard box inside a bubble bag. It looks brand new everywhere except where there is a dent in the front right corner. I suspect it happened when it was in the box because it was not secured in the bubble bag. It works fine, so debating what to do.

I think exchange one is a good choice because this item was not sold out but expired.

That was sad. I bought two and want to ship them oversea. Pray for them.

Congrats and thanks!

Well, looks like even though they didn’t sell out, Woot doesn’t have any replacements. I was only offered a few dollars as compensation for the defective screen, or a full refund. I’m going to gamble and try the RMA route with ASUS. I’m a little worried if they won’t fix it I’ll be stuck with a notebook with a bad screen, since I’m sure Asus won’t get it back to me in time for a Woot refund.

This arrived very fast. I got the shipping notification on Thursday and it was at my door on Friday. That is the fastest I think I’ve gotten anything. Thanks Woot!

Like others mine was in a bubble bag inside a box which was inside a bag. No damage thank goodness.

Paper in the box said the Asus Recovery partition was wiped so you could not use it to create disks. This also mentioned Windows 7. I could not find the directions they were talking about anyway.

Laptop has a windows 8 sticker on the bottom but no product key. Windows activated when I did the setup.

Had some challenges getting windows 10 on it. The “Get Windows 10” app did not show up even after repeatedly running windows update. Googling finally led me to a way to get it going.

Updating to 10 was quick and took about an hour. So far everything seems to be working fine, even Cortana, I have not tried it in tablet mode with 10 to see if Fliplock still works. It worked in 8.1 but it just feels odd feeling the keys and pressing on them when the laptop is in that mode. I can’t help but feel like it isn’t good for the keyboard.

The windows 10 version is windows 10 home and if I want to go to windows 10 pro I will have to pay $99. This is for home use and something for me to play with so I don’t care but others might be expecting another version of windows 10.

I got back 10 GB of space when I installed windows 10 which I was happy with. There didn’t seem to be a lot of junk on the laptop to begin with.

So far build quality seems ok. The screen seems a bit dim even at %100 brightness and the keyboard keys are not backlit. I could have found this out by googling before I purchased this however. It does feel heavier than the stated weight. The keyboard is reasonably “clicky” to me. The fan is noticeable and seems to come on randomly but so far the laptop doesn’t feel hot.

We’ll see how it holds up but so far I feel like I got a good deal.

Why is the USPS always so difficult to work with when it comes to tracking a package?

It is a paid service. Seems woot did not choose it to save the cost

I decided to keep it. Compares to today’s Asus 2-in-1 deals it’s still a better deal in my opinion. The display is great, and it’s very fast; I replaced the 500gb 5400 rpm drive with a SSD drive.

This is my wife’s computer for working at home and so far she loves it.

Mark

Still do not get my first woot. Maybe Portland is far from woot warehouse. There is not tracking info neither.

Still waiting …