Asus 15.6" A8 Quad-Core Laptop

Interested. Was about ready to pull the trigger. Then I read justalfo and tojaman’s posts. Hmm. Not sure I want to get the run around in the event I get a bad one or one that is missing a battery, for instance.

I realize it has 6 battery cells, but is it really shaped like a 6 D cell flashlight?

These specifications will do fine for email, Internet browsing, Office, youtube and Facebook.

OK but not great price for a refurb - importantly, it is a manufacturer refurb backed by the manufacturer and not a refurb by some unknown third party where they might have wiped the prior owner’s fingerprints off with a Kleenex and used the same Kleenex to pack it in the Kleenex box.

Laptop safety tips: always plug into a surge protector, don’t use any laptop directly on carpet/bed/sofa (cooling), and burn the recovery DVD’s soon after you get the laptop (and put them in a safe place).

You can easily play many games on this. Some will have to be on low settings, but they are certainly playable.

@justalfo& @tojaman, I’m curious, were those both manufacturer refurbs, backed by a manufacturer warranty?

If yes, woot claims to foist those wooters on the manufacturer first. It seems like one benefit would be the chance that the manufacturer would actually pay the return shipping for a defective product unlike cheapskate woot.

(This latter policy of not at least returning a defective product cost free seems crazy especially when the customer is paying the outbound shipping unlike many sites where it is free. An unwritten woot policy: if we sell crap you pay.)

Can you show us a better deal for $300 ?

I have fixed this problem a couple of times, once on a Dell laptop, once on my craptop (epic BOC score, can’t remember the brand). Not a daunting task for me, but I’m sure the nerd herd would get $100 for that simple repair.

I second this. Not because I don’t believe you, I may want to buy it. I am not in the market for a laptop and I almost bought this it was so cheap for the specs.

Huh? Where did I say it was a bad deal? This is a typical refurb price for these specs.

The ‘for a refurb’ modifier is important. The big box office stores regularly have similar specs, new prices in the $350 or less range. You save money going refurb.

This is likely a new order of this laptop. We are often out of stock one week but receive a new order for sale another week.

Any thoughts on using this as a dedicated streaming HTPC? Seems like with the HDMI, A8, 8GB (after upgrade), USB3.0 and a card reader, this seems like a pretty strong candidate at $300.

Would be used primarily for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc with a wireless keyboard / mouse, so I’m not particularly concerned about the HD size or speed. Should be able to run with the lid closed if connected to an HDMI TV, right?

My sister bought this product a couple weeks ago from Woot. I wish she’d write a review. As of right now she hasn’t even figured how to unbox it yet. Good luck with Windows 8, sis! (Remember…you can always give it to ME!)

Yes, for that this will work great.

LOL, the Nerd Herd doesn’t do component-level work like that. They’re board-swappers.

I don’t have a decent soldering workstation at the moment, or I’d have my wife do the repair when required (she’s way better at soldering than I am), but even so, it’s annoying as hell.

For your purpose wouldn’t a Roku or Apple TV like device do 99% of what you want for 1/3 the cost? I might be missing something, of course.

Where did we say you said “bad.” We asked for the deals you see that compare to these. I haven’t seen them. I wouldn’t call this price “typical.”

You then use a price point that is roughly 17% higher(or less) than the one listed here.

No need to get defensive. I genuinely wanted to know.

Or even Chromecast for $35, that is, if you could actually buy one.

me 2 :smiley: My HP I got from school finally crapped out on me (worked for 5 years so it was a long time comin) so I need to find another laptop. I instantly saw this and was gonna buy it but then I read the comments about similar laptops possibly cheaper?!?!? I thought this was dirt cheap but if this is a common price for something with similar specs I’ll just wait for something else

Keep in mind the Chromecast doesn’t play media by itself; you have to “send” video to it using a tablet, phone or computer.

I have this exact machine, refurbished, purchased through Newegg. I got it SPECIFICLLY for gaming when on the road. I know it’s not a gaming machine, but it runs most of my games on medium settings at the lowest. 30-40 fps. I have been very pleased so far. Win8 was annoying for about a day and a half. I got used to it and got over it.