Asus 17.3" Full HD Core i7 Gaming Laptop

Benchmark

Looks like a very capable gaming laptop. But, no blu-ray player? I’m really tempted but that may be the killer for me.

TONS of solid reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at amazon

Some additional info can be found over at asus.com

Got this when they were on sale few weeks ago, totally love it. Great build quality, fantastic power (especially when you max out the RAM to 32gb), snappy response time while gaming.

Just be aware that this laptop is huge, and bulky. If your requirements are more on mobility and less on actual power, might want to skip it.

But if you’re like me, and need lots processing power for work, you won’t regret it.

Is there an echo in here?

As an add on to my earlier post, be aware of a few things:

1. This comes with Windows 8, if that’s a problem for you, you will need an installer disk for another OS

2. The user serviceable area includes an empty slot for a second hard disk or SSD

3. There are 2 user accessible RAM slots, but you will need compatible memory cards to maximise them, the remaining 2 slots are behind the keyboard and will void your warranty if you swap em out

More details (how I figured this stuff out) found here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&country=&status=

You will probably want to replace the wifi card with a better one. After replacing the wifi card with a Intel 6235 and adding a blueray player it became a fairly decent machine. I also added 8GB of memory to make 16GB. I was unaware that the memory could be increased to 32GB.

This model is very solid (but heavy @ over 10 lbs) and is very much a capable gaming rig for the road or your local LAN party. I have upgraded this model for my friend and it is very VERY easy to get to everything. Couple of bottom plate screws and you have access to the open dimm slots, and the HDD area. NOTE: this computer does have 2 HDD slots available, so you can turn it into a raid 0 beast, or shoot for SSD with a HDD storage setup. Best part is everything is very very easy to get to, by far one of the easiest laptops I have upgraded.

Also noticed it stays very cool to the touch as well, the exhaust fans shoot out the back like an exhaust on a car. so keyboard and lap, and the soda you have to the side of the laptop isn’t boiling.

Happy wooting and Enjoy :smiley:

That involves swapping out the RAM on all four slots, including the 2 that are not user accessible, which will void the warranty. That’s why I only went for an additional 16gb of compatible dual channel memory (the thread I linked earlier will show you how to identify what you need), and am planning on a full swap out once my warranty is up

Hope that helps,
echineko

I was going to ask that! I have an older HP 17" with dual hd bays and it’s a real plus, I think it should be listed in the specs. Thanks.

No problem, cheers. As I said, I got one of these on Woot recently, and am loving it, will be happy to answer any questions y’all might have :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually knew about the memory slots under the keyboard. The wifi card I replaced is near the memory. I thought it was a motherboard limitation.

My son and I each have one of the earlier versions of this machine and have loved the hell out of them. Mine is the older, about 4 years, and has been amazing. His is 1 year old and has also been great. I have really been impressed with the Republic of Gamers line ASUS has been putting out.

Others have mentioned the build quality, they are stout and hold up well. Again, you won’t want to lug it around, but it is a great desktop replacement gaming unit.

We maxed out the RAM on both of ours and mine took more time to reach the 4th chip (3 were reachable removing a single screw) the 4th was under the keyboard and took more work, but wasn’t bad. Son’s has all 4 chip slots easily reached from the bottom. Very easy to work on. I also upgraded the wifi card on mine, took about 3 minutes to do.

Nothing but great experiences with our machines.

Not at all, the huge RAM support was one of the main selling points for me, since my work requires lots of clustered virtual machines for testing

Im still using the wifi card that came with the laptop, on my home wifi network I’m getting over 1Mb/s, works fine for me since I’m not going to be upgrading the bandwidth anytime soon. No issues with connecting/maintaining a connection to wireless networks so far

I have a G75 very similar to this. Mine has the Blu-ray player but only a 500 GB HD. I paid more than this when I bought it in June and do not regret it at all.

I bought mine as a desktop replacement. It smokes my old desktop for PC gaming.

I gave the G73jh which hit 3 years this pass July and is still going strong. If you want a solid gaming machine, this is it. Solid, well built and still plays everything.

I like mine so much, I bought the smaller G55 a few months ago. The cd drive is easy to swap out for a blue ray drive. I wouldnt let that be a deal breaker at this price.

I just paid $1500 ($1700 with warranty) for one of these with a newer CPU and better GPU and love the hell out of it. I was about to try to build my own desktop setup, but decided to buy this when I saw it on TigerDirect. As others have said… it’s heavy (and sturdy)… but not nearly as bulky as the desktop machine I was going to build and it smokes the 6 year old machine it replaced.

I bought a similar G75 a couple of years ago (NOV2011) and it’s still kicking butt. I had an issue with overheating but solved it with a cooling pad and a can of air. Now I can overclock and speed through nearly anything. I can even play Bioshock Infinate at decent speed and this is a 2 year old. This laptop has far exceded my expectations.
PS. It looks awesome too.