Asus 8" VivoTab Note Tablets

Is Pre-installed full license MS Office Home & Student included?

We can’t guarantee it with a Factory Reconditioned model. It depends on whether the previous owner registered it or not. That’s why we don’t call it out as a feature.

Mostly good reviews on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231593

Seems like the stylus was a source of consternation, but performance in general was praised. If I didn’t already have a windows laptop, I might opt for one of these, but they definitely have some limitations you’d have to get around.

I bought one of these when they were new. Haven’t used it a ton lately because I have been distracted by a new laptop but it works pretty well. On par powerwise with a netbook and it does run Civ V pretty well in touch screen mode when you cut the settings down. The stylus is finicky, it works well in the middle of the tablet but when you get to the edges it gets a bit screwy especially up by the front facing camera.

All in all though I would highly recommend this if you are looking for a little tablet for either note taking or sketching with some full fledge laptop function.

Does this have an HDMI out???

Sorry, it does not.

I have one of these and am VERY pleased with it. I’ve used it as my only computer while travelling quite successfully. I got one of the first ones the Microsoft Store sold.

If you buy a Wacom stylus with an eraser, the eraser will work out of the box. I have one from a Fujitsu pen laptop; the Surface Pro pen also works. (The Pro 2 pen should work; the Pro 3 pen won’t.) It I excellent for taking notes and marking up documents (or making markings in sheet music PDF’s).

However, I have had lots of hardware problems with them–all different problems on the first three I had. In each case, the Microsoft Store exchanged them.

The problems were:

1. Poor stylus registration near edges.

2. Stylus failed randomly. (This seemed to be a common problem from descriptions on the internet.)

3. Touchscreen failed.

All of these problems showed up within 30-40 days, so a 90-day warranty should be enough. My fourth tablet has been totally reliable for six months now.

At this price I’m tempted to pick up one or two as gifts.

It would be a bummer if it didn’t have the Office license. You can’t transfer the license to another machine, so there’s really not reason for it not to be there–ASUS paid for it already…

I’m extremely tempted to buy this, but I’ve heard horror stories about QA issues (in particular the Wacom digitizer crapping out after a couple months) …

Does anyone know if this Tablet is running 8.1 pro. I might need one to work on a domain. Doesn’t look like it.

It runs regular Win 8.1 32 bit

No, but it has Miracast support.

Did have some issues with it, until I did a driver and firmware update. Since then, no probs.

I own the 32gb version of this.
Overall it’s been somewhat satisfactory. It’s bulky for an 8" tablet, with large bezels around the screen. There’s a physical start button in the upper left edge of the screen, where you will never ever remember or use it. It has a stylus compartment in the lower right that fits a short, thin stylus for writing on the screen. The charger is Micro USB which is particularly nice, but don’t bother trying to charge the device from anything lower than a 2-amp charger. Unfortunately this does mean you also cannot charge it while using a USB on-the-go adapter.

Don’t bother with the cameras. I have no idea why manufacturers are still putting rear-facing cameras on tablets because they almost always are terrible, and this one is no exception. The front facing camera is barely good enough for you to video chat on.

As other people have mentioned, the stylus/digitizer kind of sucks. Near the edges of the screen, it loses calibration somewhat and registers the tip a bit offset from where it physically is. The stylus itself also has too short a nib so you will often find yourself grazing the screen with the housing of the stylus; you’ll have to hold it fairly perpendicular to the screen to use it properly. Finding replacement styli that are compatible with the screen will be a little tricky - I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet and the stylus from that device does not work on the Note 8.

Windows is a bit finicky on my device. I’ve had issues with performing Windows Updates, issues with running out of RAM very quickly, issues with the screen not turning on from the sleep button, etc. Asus gives you a restore microSD, but most of you will want to throw your own storage into it, so make sure to keep the restore card in a safe place. Asus also has locked down the device so that other versions of Windows CAN NOT be installed.

My biggest complaint, above and beyond anything else here, is that the screen itself seems to completely lack any sort of oleophobic coating. Within approximately 2 minutes of using your tablet, it will be covered in smudges and look horrible. Fortunately, for the most part you can’t see them while actually using the tablet. You will notice them very clearly every other time you look at your tablet though.

Now for the good: The screen is decently bright and crisp. The tablet feels shockingly snappy for being an Atom (though 6 tabs in Chrome started to cause low memory problems). Boots up in a flash (see what I did there?) and of course a touch screen is the only place where the Windows 8 interface makes sense.

I don’t regret my purchase, though if I had it to do over again, I’d probably have dropped a little bit more money on something smaller and a bit nicer.

Have you tried installing Wacom’s drivers? I hear it includes a better calibration tool.

What kind of bloat does it have preinstalled?

How’s the battery life?

Super Important Edit:
If you buy the 32GB edition, you’ll have very little space after you update Windows. Be smart and get the 64GB or nothing.
/edit

I owned one of these when they first came out and they’re actually really nice.

Two important considerations however:

1: Don’t expect to draw with the pen, the pressure levels are BS and register only slightly better than a mouse in Photoshop (drive updates might have fixed this, idk).

2: I dropped mine from my pocket while sitting (about a 12 inch fall, but it was in a case and landed on a shoe). When it landed, the soldier joints to the battery broke, and it never booted again (I also sent it back).
Probably just bad luck, but I thought it worth mentioning.

All that said, this is a pretty good price, so I think I’d snag one.

I have one of these and LOVE IT. It’s way better than the Dell Venue 8 Pro IMO in build quality and features.

You can use regular phone chargers (e.g. 1A or less); it’ll just charge really slowly.

Unlike the Venue 8 Pro, you can in fact charge while using USB OTG. Just hook up a powered USB hub to the OTG cable.

Truth. Nothing you can do about this unfortunately.

The VivoTab Note 8 has a Wacom Penabled digitizer, which is what’s used in the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 and the Galaxy Note phone and tablet series. Any Wacom Penabled stylus will work, as well as a stylus marketed as compatible with Galaxy Note or Surface Pro/Pro 2 (NOT PRO 3!) devices.

Not true at all. I installed 8.1 Enterprise 32-bit without issue and installed all the drivers from ASUS’s website.

You cannot install a 64-bit version of Windows on this. You can install a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, but it takes a lot of work and it’s likely a lot of the hardware won’t work.

Check out the FoneM8 brand screen protector for this thing. It’s on Amazon and eBay. It’s SUPER high quality and really smudge resistant.

The touchscreen and digitizer problems are due to poor QA during assembly. It’s easily remedied by removing the backplate and adjusting or replacing a couple ZIF ribbon cables (one for the touch and one for the Wacom digitizer). There are instructions online for this.

This isn’t an IKEA tablet, we shouldn’t have to re-assemble electronics.

I have had a number of Asus tablets and the manufacturing quality has gone downhill recently. Plenty of Amazon reviews for Asus-branded accessories and electronics that state they fall apart quickly. When that happens, you have to go through Asus technical support, which is a malfunctioning web form which will reject every claim you attempt to make. If you fight through that to get to an actual person, hope that you are fluent in whatever language they speak, because it’s not English. With their failure rates and their unbelievably terrible customer service, I don’t think they’re worth purchasing at any price. It’s a shame, too, because I would love to have a new convertible 2-in-1 tablet. I have the Asus Transformerpad Infinity (TF700) and I would like to upgrade, but the newer one simply falls apart (according to reviews).