Asus Eee PC 10.1” Netbook with Windows XP

I am glad to see this offered with OS XP Home… and may I suggest you upgrade the RAM to 2GB… it will improve processor speed…

are you really suggesting buying a crappy acer over asus eee thats just nuts!!!

best I get is 2 hours and change, I would jump all over this if it was a 6 cell battery.

My sister has one of these and she’s very happy with it. In fact, it’s her primary computer. In every way, it’s an average netbook, not especially fast or slow. The screen is nice and bright, but no better or worse than that of other netbooks. We were, however, quite impressed with the webcam. It performs surprisingly well in dim light. The 3 cell battery pack provides average battery life, which isn’t bad if you usually use it plugged into the wall.

we use this for a dmx controller at my church and it works great with showexpress

Side Note: These seem to be weird that they have only a 3-Cell battery… Most netbooks I have tested have had a 6 or a 9 cell (albeit the 9-Cells seem to be rare).

Also if someone is looking for something with a little more juice try finding a netbook with a AMD Neo, while they are also 1.6Ghz they are much faster (hard to compare Ghz ratings between a AMD and Intel). Atom seem to be shrunken P4s… Not the best chips.

Obviously he changed something or there is something wrong with his netbook. Mine boots up in under 30 seconds with the default OS.

I would have to agree with csimmon1. Seen way to many problems with ACER. I can’t recommend one to my worst enemy.

Product Website

This deal may be good for those who ONLY browse web pages with the occasional video, but in terms of functionality in modern day use I don’t think I can recommend it. Video playback will suffer heavily because of a lack of a dedicated graphics card, and this thing should get nice and warm if you run too many programs/processes.

I know all too many people that spent money on netbooks (it can fit in your pocket? And it’s as small as a novel?) but alas, they end up despising themselves for getting something that is highly underpowered and minimally functional. These are no-nos for anyone who will be typing a great deal, as the cramped space will be a catalyst for RSI. Plus, the undersized keyboard makes it impossible to type at a moderate speed, so any form of note taking or transcribing is near impossible.

But then, even with it, it has it’s uses, but netbooks are a dying breed with more powerful phones that can do nearly the same thing.

And just to note, I wrote this not to troll (even though I believe I unintentionally did) but people who purchase this should be fully informed of what they’re getting into.

No wireless N makes me sad :frowning:

It won’t let me buy a second one… Is there any way to do that?

Nope. And when you install it, you lose all of the XP drives so now none of my Fn keys work and neither does the touch pad lock. And Asus has no Win 7 drivers for it for some reason… Huge pain in the butt…
**Just got one of these.

I have one of the 12 inch ones and it last me about 6 hours, but I don’t do gaming, etc. on it. Mine also has a really nice video which has games showing GREAT!!! Only problem is it’s not strong enough to run them smoothly… :frowning:

I hate it when people compare a smart phone to a netbook as they are two totally different systems. Coming form someone who owns both a smart phone and a netbook.

First, a smart phone has a 4’’ display or less while a netbook usually has a 10’’ display. Second, netbooks are running full operating systems. (Not a mobile or stripped down OS.) And finally netbooks have nearly fully sized keyboards that you can easily type on, not a virtual keyboard.

So YES, a smartphone is more portable than a netbook but they are totally different in several ways.

About the N270 processor:

at Intel

cnet

wikipedia

Use your wife’s email and set up a new account. Tell her she is now responsible for sitting through every woot-off from beginning to end or her credit info will be hacked…:wink:

If you’re looking for something to “hackintosh”, keep looking.

This one has a bunch of hoops to jump through to install and then the wireless card doesn’t work with OS X, so you’d need to get a Dell 1510 card to get wireless networking.

I bought one of these and had some problems that I needed tech support to help me with. The little gamer on the phone was ordering pizza and thought I was on mute. He was so unbelievable that I felt that the Candid Camera crew would jump in at any moment. I called back a few days later and got similar service. I returned the netbook to the Big Bo and got a Mac!

Asus Eee netbooks are the best because of their construction, which is solid. For the money, the deal is nice.

You want faster performance and Win 7 then pay for it. But price vs. performance vs. reliability this Eee will do it you fine.

I got this model and an 8" model with a extended battery that gives me 8 untethered hrs at the local coffee bar.