Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor

It’s not in the image, nor is it mentioned in the specs. It’s probably safe to say no.

Also, given the choice between black or white, white gets the nod. I can’t stand the noticeable dust on my black electronics.

The 4GB hard drive will be limiting users to anything other than internet usage unless you use an SD card. But it’s a speedy, quality <10" netbook from a brand you trust. A good buy for someone looking for a companion internet device to compliment a pre-existing computer system.

The letters are alright to type on, my difficulty has been with the right Shift key, the colon/semicolon key, and the apostrophe key. My biggest blunder is often reaching for the right Shift key and hitting the Up arrow instead. I’ve been typing on it occasionally for the last few weeks and I’m beginning to get the feel of where the shift key (and other keys) are located but it has definitely taken some getting used to.

That was $179 and it was refurbed this is new

This is, I believe, identical to the EeePC that was offered a few weeks ago on regular Woot for the same price. I bought it then.

I love that it’s small and portable. It’s reasonably fast for basic Web browsing, though no one would ever accuse it of being “blazing.” Don’t expect to be able to customize too much without switching out the OS or adding memory. Those 4GB are awfully full when it arrives. I tried adding Adobe Air (which requires some command-line work), it didn’t have enough space and it made the whole thing pretty unstable. I had to wipe it. Good battery life. I wish it had a webcam and more storage space. But at least I’ll never be tempted to save anything important on it.

With the release of the new Google OS this may be a good buy.

Absolutely. A system like this will be perfect for some lightweight internet browsing, but you’ll want to be careful about internet games. That little Atom processor won’t be able to chug through high-end flash games. But it can handle plenty of the more basic ones.

Here is the Asus Eee family comparison table:

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/comparison/eeepc_comparison.htm

Dunno about that OS, but on a previous Woot for my bro’s birthday, I got him an EeePC 900 and slapped Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it. No special configuration and works great. Definitely a lot better than XP that came with it

do the Linux SSD netbooks handle external USB harddrives well? I’m looking for a netbook, but I wanted a bit more HD space so I could load some music and movies on it to watch while on trips etc (esp since I couldn’t put a DVD in it). I’d settle for this SDD one (vs. the SATA one over at woot) at this price if it would handle the external usb for the music etc.

Can the 802.11g wifi on this netbook do WPA2 security?

refurbished and a celeron…no thanks.

i bought the black with the 900 cpu here for 139…this woot has been offered with more ssd but same price… this is about $20 overpriced…wait for the black one to show up again for 139 or 149, depending on the ssd…you will replace the ssd anyway…the atom 1.6 cpu is just slightly faster than the 900, and the 900 uses less power…i use xp pro with 32 gig ssd and 2 gig ram…these are great but wait for a better, cheaper one to show up here soon.

I got one of these a few weeks ago when it was on Woot. I like it, but I knew I had to upgrade the SSD to a 16gig with much faster read/write times than the original 4gig SSD had. The SSD upgrade, which was around $50 at NewEgg.com, was totally worth it. The only thing about it that was disappointing is the sound - barely audible. Does anyone know how to get more sound out of it for YouTube videos and such? Can external speakers be used with it?

I second that. I put EasyPeasy (used to be called Ubuntu Eee) on my 900 that I got from Woot some time ago. Works perfect.

I have a similar 900 model, using Linux (EasyPeasy, better than what is on this one.)
WPA2 works fine.

EasyPeasy is Ubuntu-based. It used to be called Ubuntu Eee.
I have it on my 900 and it works great.

How does this Eee PC compare to others, upgrade-wise? Is it easy to install better RAM and SSD memory?

I love these machines. It’s very easy to upgrade the RAM, and the SSD.

Here’s a video of me demonstrating some of the games I can run on my Eee PC, and some of modifications I’ve made to it.

My machine has a 32GB SSD and a 2GB Memory stick. I’ve also installed windows xp pro.