Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor

single, easy to upgrade to a 1dimm 2gb. both ssd and ram are replaceable from a back panel, for other internals you have to take off the whole backside

Probably running 2x512s, but for cheap you can upgrade the SSD and RAM as well. The RAM upgrade is the most worthwhile for performance and going to 2 gigs won’t cost that much.

20GB version reviews Amazon

buy the 20gb version for just a tad more than here
here

NM these are both the 900 versions not the faster CPU

Are there any linux programs to allow windows programs to run on this?

It comes with OpenOffice.org, a very popular word processor, comparable to Microsoft Word (and Excel and PowerPoint and whatever the MS calendar software is called).

I bought one of these last go, and would highly recommend it. It’s more than good enough for nearly any applications, and people have played some fairly graphics-intensive games on them.

Anybody have feedback on how quickly this boots or effectivness of sleep mode on linux on a netbook ?

Holy cow Batman. Do they still have more of these to sell?

Nice little netbook. I bought one in July.

honestly there’s no reason to go above 2gb on this machine. the single core atom will bottleneck you before the ram does.

So does it have 1 or 2 RAM slots?

That’s about a $40 dollar drop from the price at Toysrus.

from factory components, reasonably fast but nothing to blow you away. the problem with this machine is that the stock ssd is horridly slow. i upgraded to a 90/55 and 2gb of ram and i cold boot in about 8 seconds.

Some people would call that a downgrade.

Guys, the hard drive is 4GB. There’s simply no point in putting Windows on this when all you can possibly do on it is use a web browser. You’ll never even notice what OS you’re using when all of your time is spent in Firefox.

Sorry, but this model is just plain obsolete. Yes it’s cheap, but you will get what you pay for; don’t plan on doing anything serious with only 4 GB of disk space. I just bought a new Acer Aspire One 10.1" and love it. For me it was more than worth the extra $80 to get a bigger screen, 160 gB HDD, and Windows XP.

thx

Home schooling use?
Rather spend some extra bucks and get one of the 15 inch screen models Wally world is clearing out at 298. Screen awfully small for previewing docs in finished form, much less viewing things like maps and illustrations. That 4 gig drive doesn’t sound like lots of room for downloads and docs. Add cost for external cd and this bargain seems less.

what people need to remember is that this has the intel atom 1.6ghz as opposed to the other line of EeePC 900’s that have the 900mhz celeron.

on the other hand, toysrus has this listed for $209, so not that great of a deal here >.<

I have this computer and I love it for web browsing and watching online movies. i picked it up earlier in the summer from woot.

I’m not sure if the keyboard is big enough for actual work and a lot of typing. I think it would get frustrating.

Also, unless you clear out space this computer doesn’t have much memory.

If you just want something to do web surfing it is GREAT. nice and fast and small enough to fit in my purse.

It is very easy to install “wine”, a program which allows you to run Windows software. Just open the software manager, click “wine”, click “install”, and you’re done.

As a general note to those unfamiliar with Linux who want certain software on it: installing new software is very very easy, simply search the Software Manager for the name of your program, or a description (e.g., “pinball game”). It’ll give you a list of matching software, you click “install,” and you’re done. Completely free, legal, and much easier than hunting down websites or buying CDs!