Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor

No webcam.

Definite deal-breaker.

Is this one that you could upgrade the hard drive?

Been thinking about a netbook, but I’m not sure now is the time to be buying one as the prices seem to be dropping.

here’s asus’ website

same as woot…interesting

Do we get those blood shot eyes as well? Because that’s a deal breaker for me.

is the harddrive changable? Definitely would like a larger hd, or ssd to boot up windows…

Manufacturer’s Product Page: Here

No webcam = no bueno.

Decent reviews…

Can you load Win XP on this baby?

Found the review…

It is an ssd. However it’s only 4 GB so you might want a larger one, especially for Windows.

The EeePCs don’t take normal notebook HDs, and require SSDs.

Yes, but either strip it down with nlite or find a swanky tiny version.

How hot does this get in your lap?

Bought one of these on regular Woot and like it fine. (It was also offered at least one other time, too)

Keyboard is tiny and takes getting used to. I get about 3-4 hours on a full battery. Make sure you switch from the crappy Xandros Linux (oddly unstable, I found) install it comes with to something like Easy Peasy.

Nice second computer for taking on trips and what not.

People have loaded XP, Windows RC 7, Linux, and even OSX, so yes, you can load XP on.

You’d need either an external CD or DVD drive, or a flash drive with the proper information.

Yes … I got one the last time around. I put in a 16 gig SSD and it flies. Great buy.

Can someone explain the difference between this laptop and the one on woot.com today?

Yes. The easy way is to use an external CD-ROM. I didn’t have one so I had to use a more complicated process that involves putting the windows XP install on a flash drive. It is a more complicated process, but it works.

The trade-off for using XP instead of Linux is reduced battery life (I haven’t tested it thoroughly, but it seems like under windows I am getting about 3 hours of video playback vs 3.5 on Linux) and a much longer boot time.