Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 20GB SSD and Webcam

This is a great mobile computer. I have one (w/16GB SSD and Windows XP)and it runs fast enough for MP4 videos, webcaming, simple games, and document processing…but I wouldn’t recommend doing it all at the same time.

I like these computers. They aren’t able to do much more than one thing at a time though. No real multitasking. Also, Woot says this has a 1.3mp cam, but I’m pretty sure the 900 only had a .3mp.

Well I am in for one. I checked on the SSDs and you are correct, half the price of the netbook. Ram would be viable. Now I must look into different versions of an OS. I have heard good things about something called Eeeasy peasy. I have no Linux experience so this will be good to play around with.

So this is Linux?
It says its point and click interface, and thats what I’m worried about. Does anyone know how you use this laptop?
This sounds stupid in my head, but I need to ask because I’m a complete newb when it comes to linux: can I take a windows installer and install a game? (for instance, I have the simple game called pocket tanks…) or do I need to go find a linux version? I’ll take the advice and not install windows, but do I need WINE to run such programs?
What programs come with the thing?
Firefox?
Tell me a bit about this thing, and I can move some money around tomorrow and buy this thing!

Edit: so this would be my intro to linux… More research has shown me that I cannot simply install a windows program (It was a stupid idea)
But my question still stands:
whats the gui like
how do I linux?
:slight_smile:

How do these things run VLC for xvid videos? What I am really saying is could I watch my stories on the train?

Save for a car…screw the train. You obviously have more important things in your life than a $200 'puter

Haha…um… do a little research on commuting to work in NYC and then get back to me.

ok i really need a reason not to go to bed so here goes.

the keyboard is small. really small. BUT its ok as long as u dont have sauseage hands(im typeing on a 900a now)

the hard drive (warning this part is confusing)
unlike other eee pcs the 20g’s if i remember right
are split
4gigs ok fast ssd for operating system
16 gig slow as hell ssd for files

next up operating system: two works IT SUCKS MAJOR Arse (ok maybe 4)
i would recommend eebuntu 3.0 over easy peasy seeing as eeebuntu is faster since it used ubuntu 9.04 as base
you can put xp on to this thing (ive put xp on the stock 4gig that came with my 900a)
for more info google (with quotes) “nLite Windows XP Install on Asus Eee PC”

ok come on people ask more questions u no u want to.

ehh its bearable if u use the version of linux that comes with this thing(not recommended)
or u use something like eeebuntu 3.0(recommended)
even with the slow ssd it still boots in 20-35 seconds(take that vista)

Froogled: EEEPC900-W017 - Google Shopping

seems like a good deal.

other sites list the webcam as 1.3 mp as well

LINUX is far superior to windows.

I’ve been searchin for a netbook deal for a while

Why haven’t I pulled the woot-trigger yet?..i dunno…

oh and i almost forgot. the eee 900’s come with either a 3 or 4 cell battery. usally 4400-5800 mahs. they will last around 2 hrs (lol the front page says 4 hrs what a funny lie)

10400 mah fat batteries sell for less than $50 on feebay (i bought one auction style for $43 the other day. ive gotten these to last over 5 hrs)

and not to scare anyone to death but heres a quote from unrealiablepedia about a bug in the 900 seris of eeepcs

cause its not the best deal(unless u really really really like the duall ssds)

a certain other website
has the 160gig xp version for 190 shipped
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v3.asp?SCriteria=3005252

Can you link to the place you are refering?
Thanks

you are right…that site has a better deal if i wanted a mechanical hdd and windblows pre-loaded…but I don’t want the former (don’t need 160gb) and I definitely don’t want the latter…

my advice for you is in short, spend a couple bucks more and buy the xp version

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=3005390

linux is WAY different than xp and there is a reason the idiots @ microsoft can quote that netbooks that run linux have a 90% return rate. unless u feel like endless searching the wine and linux forums, it can be very difficult to run even simple games on linux.(unless u get commercial software that runs games on linux but that costs $30)

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=3005252

you’re welcome

one last post before i go to bed

For those of you worried about the 8.9 inch screen size. Dont worry be happy.

its took me less than a week to get used to the screen, and now my regular laptops screen looks GIANT.

even if they do sell 10, statistics say that 9 of them will return it, woot has a return policy right?

I’m really leery of refurbs too. While there are variations from machine to machine amongst new units, the differences between refurbs must necessarily be dramatic. One person could buy one of those XP/160GB units and be delighted b/c the refurb was an “I bought a better one a week later” return while the next person might for no less money get a dropped unit or just a flat-out lemon with who knows what kind of grief lurking down the road.

I specifically picked this one as my intro to the Linux environment, the price, and the fact that I found a killer, ruby red shell for this particular model. I also have a small, full-featured Toshiba notebook for any heavy lifting, so I avoided that nickel-and-dime upgrade this/that where a $190 purchase becomes a $470 purchase in no time. This is the toy to toss in the bag if I just want to surf at the coffee shop before work.

so true
i spent $160 on my 900a
$55 on the ssd upgrade
$20 on the 2g ram
$110 on the batteries(i bought the orginal 900 one)
so i paid a total of $345 for what was suppoased to be a simple $160 netbook