Asus MeMO Pad HD 7" 16GB Android Tablet

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/7c108311-c91d-4a2b-a889-d2a3cfae05e2.jpg

Asus MeMO Pad HD 7" 16GB Android Tablet
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Friday, Aug 08 to Wednesday, Aug 13) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://sellout.woot.com/offers/asus-memo-pad-hd-7-16gb-android-tablet) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Asus MeMO Pad HD 7" 16GB Android Tablet) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Asus MeMO Pad HD 7" 16GB Android Tablet)

Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 User Guide

Pretty good reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) over at microcenter.com and OK reviews (3 out of 5 eggs) over at newegg.com

I bought two of these last Christmas for my daughters. I bought the extended warranty, and returned the first one through square trade in Feb. She had dropped it and started having touch screen problems. Ordered a new one from Amazon, I’m currently going through the RMA process on that one because the touch screen has stopped working (without being dropped in snow). Also the mic never worked and the sd card slot randomly stops working, plus it no longer ejects the card.

The other daughter had hers returned (RMA through Asus) because the touch screen stopped working. I think that was in April.

They do like them, when they work. But the sd card seems to be a problem (read the amazon reviews) and we’ve gone through 3 in 7 months, all with the touch screen going out. So if you are looking for something reliable, I’d suggest spend a little more and pass over this one. Unless of course you like paying UPS to RMA your items.

ETA The one that is in the RMA process also had period where it would not charge. It would pop up the battery symbol to charge, then just quit. After letting it sit for about 2 weeks (because I didn’t have time to call them as they had requested I do) and letting it drain completely it started charging again. These also aren’t little kids playing with it, my girls are 16 and 14. So it’s not like we’ve had so many problems because of user damage, it just keeps messing up. The refurb from Asus was even giving problems earlier tonight, but did start working after a restart.

As a counterpoint, I bought one for my 10- year old last year for her birthday, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Also got the Asus cover for it, which was too expensive , but is very nice.

Thinking of getting another at this price.

Asus makes good gear HOWEVER I just bought a Samsung 8" Note 3 refurb on ebay for $110 total, this asus is $80 + 5 S/H + 6.40 tax and that makes it $92 total, the only advantage this Asus has over the Samsung is it has quad-core albeit it’s a Mediatek CPU as opposed to Qualcomm (allegedly best ARM cpu) dual core

Bought one for my spouse’s birthday back in February, it has always worked well although the processor is not fast enough for certain games that her husband likes to play (i.e. Adult Swim’s “Giant Boulder of Death!”) The battery life is not super long; if you are out someplace for a couple of hours and expect to use it on Wi-Fi the whole time, better take it out of Performance Mode down to Balanced. Overall, I’d say the unit is worth the price!

I call this a tale of 2 tablets:

I bought two of these (one white, one green) for my kids. Performance wise, they work great for most of the kid games. Don’t expect to play graphics intensive 3D games on these, because the graphics processor is weak. Pretty much every game of my kids, though, runs smoothly. Also, there are some ASUS apps that are pretty helpful. The one that I use the most is App Locker. This makes it so that no one can get into a locked app without the password (the interface is really easy to set an app to be locked). It makes locking down the tablet easy. Also, the tablet runs on Jellybean 4.3, so you also have use of user profiles. I have a profile for my kids and one for me. Overall, these are great tables for the price.

Now onto the tale of 2 tablets. I’ve had to send my white tablet into ASUS 4 times for the same issue - the touchscreen would stop working. They would fix it and it would work for a few weeks/months and then it would stop working again. We had to pay for shipping it to ASUS twice. The 3rd & 4th times, ASUS paid for shipping (which was nice). The service is good and they are fairly quick on repairing the tablet and getting it sent back. The service is available via phone & chat (on their website).

The green tablet has been working flawlessly this whole time. It got a crack in the screen, but it hasn’t stopped it from working.

Overall, I think these are great tablets and worth the money at ~$80.

BTW, I would recommend getting a case for the tablet, especially if its for kids to use. We got the folio style cases from Amazon for ~$10. They work great!

The tablet we have had the most problems with is also the white one. The other one I believe is blue (maybe it’s black) we bought a blue case for it so I don’t remember.
These being refurbished may actually be better than buying them new. We have had to replace the new ones, but so far the one that asus sent back(refurb) hasn’t had problems that couldn’t be fixed with a restart.

Baby Got Bach

Newegg offers the refurbished Hisense Sero 7 Pro 7" 8GB Android Tablet, model no. M470BSA, for $40.99 via the directions below. With free shipping, that’s $9 under last week’s mention, and the lowest total price we’ve seen. (It’s also a current low by $64.) It features a 7" 1280x800 touchscreen LCD, 1.3GHz Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB internal storage, miniHDMI, USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, and Android 4.2 OS (Jelly Bean). Deal ends August 25. To get this deal:
View the refurb Hisense Sero 7 Pro 7" 8GB Android Tablet for $89.99
apply coupon code “VCO” and use Visa Checkout to cut it to $80.99
redeem this $40 mail-in rebate for a final price of $40.99
A 30-day warranty applies, but it is unclear who backs it. Note that the above coupon can only be used once per customer.

Helpful Tip
If you got one of these (or more) power it up before giving it as a gift.
I ordered 2, 1 is working just fine the other is displaying a weird error in the WiFi screen.

If you see “nvram warning: err = 0x10” in the wifi section it is bugged. Google search shows possible solutions, but all involve rooting the device so I suggest against that as you have a warranty. A reviewer on Amazon tells a tale of 3 attempts to get one not displaying the error from service.

Both devices are the same, but the one without the nvram warning got an OTA update and now has a higher build number. Attempt to get the OTA on the bugged one result in it just saying it is up to date and not finding the update.

Off to see what hoops Asus has for me to jump through.