Asus MeMO Pad HD 7" 16GB Android Tablet

FWIW,I have had no problems with any refurbished device I have purchased, either from Woot or elsewhere. I often wonder if they might not, in fact, be better for having had individual attention, rather than just rolling off the assembly line.

Just my $0.02

Two year warranty is $16.50, I would say that’s very reasonable.
Can we assume you’re now “all over this” ?

Anyone know what type of packaging this will have? Wanted to buy as a gift… on the fence if it is riddled with “refurbage”

Just a heads up. I got one of these last time it was offered. Got my daughter one to use in college as a reader. Didn’t need anything fancy and this was just a normal purchase so I thought a referb would do just fine. Got her a pink one. My god, I’ve never seen a factory reconditioned or refurbished device that was so scratched and beat up as much as this thing was. That’s why I will NEVER buy another electronic item off woot again. Yes it works but really? It looked like they pulled this out of some random persons trunk and shipped it out. I got a case for it so to protect what little surface (back) that it has. But I’m serious about its looks. It was dirty, had prints all over it, etc. I still swear it came out of someone’s trunk and they played Frisbee in the parking lot (or hockey) before they tossed it in a box and sent it out. Very disappointed in the physical appearance. I expected a FEW blemishes but when you take 80 grit sandpaper and try to “polish” plastic, it doesn’t work well.

DON’T DO IT!

See my reply about the condition… But it was in some flat folded over at the ends cardbord with shrinkwrap over the device to TRY and hold it inplace. It was loose in the box. The ONLY thing that was secure was the charger and cable.

And with the right pair of jeans, it can act as a second chance plate your peaches…

(explained: Balistic vests sometimes have additional plates over the heart for protection. Called 2nd chance. ;-)) They work by the way.

What’s the grey bar at the bottom. When doing searches for reviews I found no other images of this tablet with the grey bar. Does it have cellular data capabilities, and that’s an antenna?

Does it have GPS? Asus website doesn’t have it in specs. Anyone know for sure?

Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2
Display: 7" LED Backlight WXGA 216PPI (1280 x 800) Screen
IPS Panel
10 finger multi-touch support
CPU: MediaTek MT8125 Quad-Core 1.2 GHz
Memory: 1GB DDR3
Storage: 16GB Internal
microSD Card Slot (up to 32GB, card not included)
Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: 4.0
Camera: 1.2 MP Front Camera
5 MP Rear Camera
Audio: Stereo speakers with ASUS SonicMaster
Ports: 1 x Micro USB
1 x Headphone / Mic-in
1 x Micro SD Card Reader
Sensors: G-Sensor
Gyroscope
E-compass
Hall Sensor
Miracast
GPS
Battery: 10 hours; 15Wh Li-polymer Battery
Dimensions: 7.75" (H) x 4.75" (W) x 0.43" (D)
Weight: 0.66 lbs

because that would be “evil”

I own one of these.
Pros: feature-rich for a 7" tablet: powerful CPU, nice display, blue-tooth, GPS, nice sound, good wi-fi, micro-sd slot is nice, probably a bunch of features I’m forgetting to mention. “Loaded.” So… when it works, it rocks!
Cons: my battery discharged completely; then, needed to leave this guy on a high-wattage charger for several days to recover. thought it was dead. Now I ALWAYS leave this guy on a charger when not in use… a bit of a pain; but I would by another… might buy a couple right now, for gifts.

Form factor has it’s pros and cons; it will fit in the pocket of a large jacket, but on warm days it’s too big to hang on a belt.

Lol, the “grey bar” is the caption box overlaying the image. Zoom in on it and you’ll see that the bezel is entirely black.

Yes, it does.

Decent WiFi and Blue-tooth; no cellular.

Does anyone know if this can be upgraded to at least Android 4.3? Wondering about it for a kid’s tablet, and want the restricted profiles.

Here’s a review of a very similar model–only significant difference is the reviewed version has a faster CPU:
http://techreport.com/review/26823/android-on-x86-a-quick-look-at-asus-memo-pad-me176c-tablet

Their conclusion is similar to my experience. It’s a good entry-level tablet–certainly not a Nexus or iPad, but for the price a very nice device.

Recommendation on the SquareTrade warranty? I rarely ever get a warranty on electronics with the exception being the BestBuy replacement warranty on sports headphones I intend to sweat all over while running. Does this refurb come with a warranty from Asus or should I shell out ~$11 for the one from SquareTrade?

Edit: Just saw the 90-day entry for the Asus warranty…is the ST one worth the added insurance?

Thanks.

-R

I don’t mind the $5 shipping, but the additional $5.75 in taxes is too much.

I bought one of these from a Groupon deal about a month ago. Solid little tablet that has a great display and a battery that can run about 6 or 7 hours of local video before dying. One thing that is really nice is that it supports miracast. For about 25 bucks you can buy a dongle and broadcast it from across the room on any TV with an HDMI port. The only concern I have is that the tablet is very light and I worry about how well it will survive a drop even with a case. The power and volume rocker are located on the back perimeter which can be a bit awkward as well.

“Does anyone know if this can be upgraded to at least Android 4.3?”
According to another reviewer it can only be upgraded to Android 2.2 with rooting.