Asus On The Loose

I’ve been on the hunt for an affordable Win7 dual-core for my mother! In for one of the 15.6" Intel dual-cores.

Should be perfect for her to play Farmville/watch Netflix/forward me chain emails from 1998.

LOL!

Just bought the AiO. I’d like to use Win8, but I know that refurbs may not be eligible. Has there been any clarification on this in the past week?

Also, I’d like to order some RAM today. This machine comes with 4GB, has a max of 8GB, and it has two DDR3 SO-DIMM slots. What I don’t know is whether it comes with a single 4GB stick, or two 2GB sticks. So in other words, can I get away with buying a single 4GB, or do I have to buy a pair?

Having 2 matching sticks of RAM is the way to go for performance and stability. Non-matching RAM may cause system errors and since you can’t underclock it on the laptop, there is always the possibility that it will not run at all.

crucial.com is a great place to find memory upgrades. Enter the manufacturer and the model and they will suggest the appropriate memory combos.

o_O

That makes sense. Thanks!

Ohh, those Sliders are sexy.

But since I already have a TF101 + keyboard, it’d actually be a DOWNgrade :frowning:

I’m not planing to buy one, but that’s only because I already own 3 Asus notebooks in my household :slight_smile: I highly recommend the brand, they’ve been nothing but good for me.

Heh. That’s a bit of a stretch, isn’t it? Or rather, not enough stretch … their index finger shoulda reached just a bit farther, past the 4, to the 5.

Does anyone have anything comparing the two processors in this format? Will there be a noticeable difference in horsepower? I’ve had AMD’s but really haven’t done any research in the past few years on the processors.

I see this has the Intel processor and the Intel 3000 graphics card, so is this laptop WIDI capable?

We got a new Asus laptop in this family last year - it’s a solid, reliable performer.

Now comparing the $420 (i5) model with the $280 (B960) model, there are 3 main differences.

CPU speed is about 66% on most benchmarks.

Battery is 4-cell vs. 6-cell so battery life will be shorter.

Graphics are HD instead of HD 3000. Might strain playing full HD video. Neither of these are really gaming systems.

If you’re looking for a good general-use system, especially if it will be sitting at home most of the time, the B960 looks like a very good value.

just received my Asus RSL101-A1 10.10 Slider.I have several android tablets and this is now my favorite. It immediately upgraded automaticly to 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich. This is the best for any typing . Solid build quality.Nice display.Source code on ASUS website. USB compatiable with mouse and USB memory and USB multi adapters allowing several USB devices in use at one time. It will surprisingly replace my laptop for many uses while allowing fun games. Very unexpected quality.

Maybe 3rd time is a charm? The description says …i4… IT SHOULD BE *** i5 *** (maybe shouting will work?)

WHO’S SHOUTING IN HERE!?!

Seriously, sorry we missed your earlier posts. I’ll send it in and it should be fixed later in the morning. Thanks for your eagle eye.

Also, feel free to PM me if we don’t see your post on something like this.

I don’t know about clarification, but I successfully upgraded a refurb last week for the $15 Win 8 Pro deal.

Two comments:
On The Loose is a great song from 1981 by a group called Saga.

I bought an ASUS laptop for work and it is okay. I am not a fan of the native screen resolution. The letters on the keys are wearing out. I’ve had about 5 lockups. It has an i7 CPU (first gen), USB 3.0 port and other goodies that made me look past the screen resolution. Previous laptops I had included an IBM Thinkpad running AIX or NT4, Zenith, HP, Dell, I think that’s all of them.

Is it me or did everyone miss the fact that this computer already comes with 8GB of RAM? The title and specs both say it does have 8GB of RAM.

Does anyone have any Squaretrade coupon codes that will work for this event?