ASUS Transformer Book 10.1" 2-in-1 Laptop

ASUS Transformer Book 10.1" 2-in-1 Laptop

Anyone look at the most recent reviews… brutal.

1 Like

Some of them are, but some are the type that I have to question.

One person said they had theirs for 5 yrs and that it worked great until recently and rated it 3 stars. Really, that is very good for a product like this.
I’m not sure if mine is exactly the same, but I have had mine for a few years and it was already dated when I got it and I think it works fine. Yes, it is slow, but what does one really expect from a cheap device like this.

One person mentions the 2017 Creator’s Update for Window messing their’s up. That update was a POS that messed up every install on every machine.

I am a bit concerned as to these recent review where people have only just been buying them. Although I due wonder as I am an avid watcher of Louis Rossman and what he talks about when it comes to repairs in his shop. However, it does seem like the fail rate on these are higher than normal.

Even though I’ve nearly bought a previous version of this series, instead went with a normal 2-in-1 notebook. The main limitation with ASUS Transformer series is they went from having a keyboard dock which could double as a battery or a storage device into being a thinner “tablet” with an optional keyboard depending upon the retailer. The dumbing down of a nice compact device to compete with 2-in-1s or Windows tablets of that time frame of Cherry Trail CPUs more than likely traded of quality/durability.

As far as reviews go, a rule I’ve had with tech products is look for hardware specific issues across reviews to judge a product. With a tablet device like this the weakest link will always be the micro-USB charger port, one the reviewers pointed out if you use a magnetic micro USB cable it’ll reduce wear & tear. From personal experience with my old Kindle Fire 7, you can easily wear out a micro-USB port after two years or so depending upon usage.

1 Like

I bought a refurb in March 2015 and it’s still running well. I carry it with me on the train and use it for watching Netflix and Amazon stuff. Updated to Win10 without issues. No problems with the charging port either, although it has always seemed loose.