Asus VivoTab RT 32GB Tegra 3 Tablet

Win. RT, good grief!!! That kills the entire tablet. “RT” is an unfinished version of Win 8. Microsoft has 900 million dollars worth of their Surface Tablet w/ “RT” sitting in warehouses they want to dump on someone. Now here comes Asus Tablets and others that were suckered into buying this OS. Good hardware on both, lousy OS.

Nice post CorvetteJoe but you forget one important fact. If you upgrade to Win 8.1 you will not be able to upgrade to the final version of Win 8 coming in November. Me? I’ll wait it out and sit at my Desktop running Win 7. My HP laptop w/Win 8 I’ll deal with until then.

Huh? That’s news to both me and Microsoft (Source). What you can’t do is go back to the original version of Windows RT after installing the 8.1 preview for RT. Once the final version is available, you’ll update the same way everyone else will.

Who is the seller? Could not find it on the listing. Also interested in knowing about return policy in case its drag on arrival.

woot’s the seller. or at least acting as an agent between you and a vendor.

Beware Asus customer (un)support. I had a horrible time getting them to fix a Asus TF300 T-B1-BL Transformer Pad that I bought here. It took two trips back to their “repair” center and an extra week waiting for the power supply which they forgot to ship the second time.

This was a valentines day present for my wife which she finally got to use in June.

I used to love Asus and would recommend their products. That was before I had a problem with one. Never again Asus.

I own a Transformer TF700T. It’s an abominably bad tablet. The built-in flash memory is really, really slow - as in, it takes fully 15 minutes for the tablet to go from powered off to fully booted, and upwards of 25 minutes to make a 5GB backup to a MicroSD card. (That’s less than 4MB/s.)

I’m not sure what the storage is like on this tablet, but if it’s the same kind of flash that’s in a TF700T, avoid it at all costs.

I was considering it until I saw all the problems with “ghost touch” on the touchscreen making the touch feature unusable. There’s a LOT of complaints about it, and they still seem to be coming. Can’t get a handle on if it’s been addressed or not (some say it’s fixed with an update only to post again a week later to say it came back). Seeing posts with 2 or 3 RMAs and still getting the problem. Kind of scary.

I love my N7, didn’t notice much of the “lag” that many did, but android 4.3 added Ftrim support, so for those who had lag, have said it has made the tablet feel new again.

Some of the older Nexus 7 tablets has a problem with the memory controller that was on the samsung memory modules. But is can be resolved by making sure your tablet is updated and running the forevergone app.

There are 2 known bugs - one actually could brick devices by overwriting protected blocks but allegedly has been addressed by Samsung - the other is frequently called “trim bug”.
It begins to emerge if you fill your device up to a certain amount of free memory (roughly less than 3GB free). When the flash is low on blocks marked as “free”, it starts looking for sections marked as “deleted”.
Resolve the issue on a Nexus 7:
1)Make sure you are on Android 4.2.2.- the update will keep from triggering the bug
2)Wiping does not help, instead fill your device completely with data and afterwards remove it again to “free” the flash blocks. This forever gone App will do that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone&hl=en

The rate of your back-up speed to the SD card is not that bad- it’s basically class 4 speed. Even if you have a class 6 or class 10 card- sometimes their write speeds aren’t honestly determined, in addition, the size of the files and how close you are to filling the card also determines the speed.

As far as the TF700T not performing well- kind of surprises me. I have a couple friends that use them all the time and love them. I have used theirs and have not noticed any issues. You could have a bad app(s) installed that’s pulling your system resources. You might want to try a total system clean-up, reset to factory settings- see if that helps. I don’t think that there is an issue with the memory controller- like there was on some of the Nexus 7 tablets, but if you want to run that forever gone app- it won’t hurt anything (I have run it on a few of my tablets just for fun)- just make sure it goes completely through the cycle and don’t interrupt it before its done. You would be surprised how much a bad app could cause a memory leak, or on a live background screen how much processor you use (especially since your tablet is 1920 x 1200 resolution. These are great tablets and worth troubleshooting. goodluck

[hr]PRICE CHANGE[hr]

What’s this??? The price has been lowered!!??!

You know the drill. If you already bought, that money will be flying back into your bank accounts soonish.

Hey all - I have owned one of these since the week they were released. They’re pretty nice. I paid A LOT more than this, and I think it was almost worth it at that price. This is a steal. Some things you should know:

1 - The battery lasts for an eternity. I had an Android Transformer and this is very comparable. I don’t worry about taking it on a long weekend without a charger.

2 - It’s great if you need MS Word or Excel. My first love will always be my Chromebook, but this is a must if you need anything from the Office Suite.

3 - The updates to this device have made it TONS better. It used to be really glitchy, but those have almost all gone away through a series of updates. It should be right as rain now.

4 - The keyboard is awesome for the size of the device. Don’t think it’s a netbook (shudders) keyboard. It is actually very functional.

5 - I highly recommend if you are going to do this that you grab the keyboard. It’s worth it, and you likely will hate using the thing with the onscreen keyboard.

Hope that helps. It’s a great device.

Woot is the seller.

The FAQ should answer most of your questions.

I have had this since it was released in November. I really like it and the Window 8 RT has been solid for me. The display has given me some ghost touches. That has been the only problem. The keyboard is awesome. I also own an Ipad 2 and Nexus 7. I would use this over them if I had to pick one.

Ack. The price change is really tempting me here. That ghost touch thing is worrying though.

Any owners out there have any experience with the touch problem? Did it get fixed in recent updates? Does it definitely seem to be a software issue?

Had the Asus Transformer Prime which died exactly 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Asus wanted me to pay them $250 to fix the tablet, which I figured would be better used towards a product that wasn’t built by Asus.

FYI, the Windows RT 8.1 update is coming soon, which will make significant improvements to this OS. Read about it here: Windows help & learning

Ghost touch is still a problem with my Surface RT Tablet. It seems to be an software problem, not a hardware problem.

Better idea, go to Microsoft and look at the PATHETIC offering of apps available!
This will NOT run regular Windows software, and there is not much worthwhile in their app store! Do yourself a favor and keep your money in your pocket.