ATI FirePro V5700 3D Graphics Card

I love this write-up. I swear this comes up every time a workstation card appears.

By the way, apparently Crossfire scales decently well with this card (and the right applications) if your motherboard supports it (admittedly not the most common thing on workstation-oriented mobos).

PassMark - G3D Mark
High End Videocards - Updated 4th of August 2012
Video Card Benchmarks

Before people start to ask, I’ll pre-emptively make things clear: this is a workstation card for professional graphics. These are mostly for 3D artists (both animation or CAD), though other software packages such as Adobe products (Photoshop, AfterEffects) benefit as well.

While gaming cards (or other general-purpose desktop graphics) focus on quick-and-dirty visual effects (getting 60fps in Tribes: Ascend, etc), the FirePro cards are geared for the high precision needed in accurate calculation of high-poly models, complex lighting, etc found in professional 3D environments.

The trade-off, as expected, is that these workstation cards aren’t very good for gaming. While you can play games with one, they aren’t optimized for gaming and thus you’ll need to play on lower quality settings.

TL;DR, if you use AutoDesk or Adobe software more than you game, get this. AMD’s FirePro cards are fantastic, and I have one (a V5900).

Thank you for this! I just bought the dual monitor setup a few woots ago and I’m a photographer looking to speed up photoshop once I finish my computer.

I was going to rely on integrated graphics on the motherboard I’m getting (ASRock extreme6) but maybe I should get two of these and run them in crossfire configuration…

How would that do in games, or would it help CS6 much? I’m not really looking at CS6 just yet but for the future I’m looking at cards, and they don’t list the v5700 as a tested card. I’m not sure if it would support OpenGL and such…

These things are still over my head a bit, as you can tell.

EDIT: just looked and this card is only worth about 80 dollars now so I can wait on this until I know for sure if I need GFX acceleration, and I’d rather have a gaming card anyway that will double-duty and game nicely. My 3770k will probably handle photoshop well enough for what i need it for…lol

Kinda mad that I bought this during sellout and now it’s $10 cheaper. Oh well. The card is nice, although as stated not the best for gaming.

I would have to agree, although most of the cards I found are $90-100, a few $80 deals are out there if you look. Not a gamer in any form, so that’s not an issues either. I guess I will keep looking for the card that fits my needs at a really good deal price. Right now, what I have meets my needs. I’ve been looking for some time now and I guess I’ll be looking a while longer.

If ya gonna mention the last woot, link the last woot, momma always said:

http://sellout.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5046423&pageindex=1&replycount=34#post5047378

and yes, it is $10 cheaper at $69.99 now.

Worth mentioning that this looks to be a ‘Low Profile’ unit, and should fit in restrictive Small Form Factor cases.

Nvidia Quadro FX vs. ATI FirePro: Professional Graphics Accelerators Roundup. Page 4

Theoretically 2 of these in Crossfire would be better (320 stream processors x2 with 512MB x2 128-bit GDDR3) than one FirePro V4900 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 (480 Stream Processing Units) but who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of GPU’s?

[youtube=q2ba86DA6kE][/youtube]

I disagree. The image shown for the product is not ‘Low Profile’. It’s much too wide. A Low Profile card will generally be half as wide as the port bracket.

http://webobjects2.cdw.com/is/image/CDW/1543743?$product_230$

THanks, I was looking for figures on it, This is a 3+ year old card and I noticed a lot of places don’t even carry it anymore. Not a good deal on some very old technology.

This is a good series of benchmarks that compares a few gamer (consumer) cards to the workstation (professional)cards. The conclusions are as follows:
“As the results indicate, in many cases there is not a large difference between the consumer series cards and the professionals cards and at times the consumer cards even outperform. To ensure this is a balanced review and provides information required to make an informed decision, I’ve outlined some of the differences and benefits of the more expensive professional cards. I’ll leave it up to you, the reader, to decide how important those items are for your pipeline.”

Some of the benchmarks run here, the consumer (gamer cards) get trounced pretty well. Depending on what your applications are will clearly determine if this card will be useful to you.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/news/viewframe/cgarchitects-graphics-card-round-up1

Can anyone comment on how this compares to the graphics card that came with the HP sold a few days ago:

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-h8-desktop-computer-2

I am wondering if this would be a good upgrade.

Ratings:
Radeon HD 7450
FirePro V5700

The V5700’s G3D mark is around double. However, you can get gaming cards for gaming in this price range.

Nevermind, I type to slow. :slight_smile: What they said.

That’s kind of correct, but not quite the whole story. This card, the GPU, the memory, the interfaces, etc. is essentially identical to the HD4670 cards for gaming. This is the primary reason why you’d be playing on lower quality settings - it’s lower end hardware. If you look, for example, at the PassMark G3D scores for this card and the HD4670, they’re nearly identical (757 vs. 752). You can play games on this card at the same settings as you’d play on an HD4670. If you want a card with similar price but much better 3D performance, consider the ASUS EAH6670 ($88 + free shipping with Amazon Prime) which has twice the memory, a GDDR5 interface instead of GDDR3 and 480 stream processors instead of 320.

The “workstation” component is handled by the driver. The driver is designed to detect the active application and optimize its 3D rendering for professional CAD users or artists. This is why a fortune is charged for this card - it isn’t the hardware, it’s the software.

ATI FirePro V3750 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 is $120. The exact same card with half as much RAM for almost Twice the Price so I think the FirePro V5700 with 512MB GDDR3 @ $75 shipped is not just a good deal but a great deal especially since you can run them in crossfire.

Given these results:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=FirePro+V5700
this doesn’t seem like a good buy at all. I got the GeForce GTX275 for like $150 three years ago, and it’s benchmarks are still nearly triple that of the V5700. Not a good call.

I’m going to be doing a good bit of video editing in Sony Vegas and Lightworks–

Is this the kind of card that I’m going to be looking for for the new machines?