$64.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2004 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon
1 2004 Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Atlas Peak on Facebook

I thought I was paying attention - I understand what ph is and what that scale means, but can someone enlighten me as to the scale / information the “Acid 6.1/ 6.2” brings?

Can’t resist. In for one!

It appears that both of these wines are $85 each on the winery’s website. Which means this deal is far better than 50% off.
There also seem to be lots of info from the winemaker on each wine. I might have to jump on this one.

Atlas Peak Spring Mt. Cabernet 2004 at Snooth

Atlas Peak Mount Veeder Cabernet 2004 at Snooth

Atlas Peak at Yelp

Atlas Peak Winemaker Darren Procsal grilling rib-eye steaks

Winery claims good reviews for Spring Mountain:

92 Points, Wine Enthusiast February 2009
**** 4 Stars in Decanter
***** 5 Stars in Restaurant Wine
91 points in Connoisseur’s Guide to CA Wine

IIRC, Wine Enthusiast is supposed to know what they’re talking about?

One of the CT notes on the Mt Veeder, “A napa cab this well crafted for less than $70 is a steal.” Not that CT users are always right.

Those poor ribeyes! Looks like some of them made it out decently, but it looks like the middle ones came out WELL… mourn

I think I have seen it referred to as “titratable acid” in mass/volume term. If so, that would mean the higher the value, the lower the pH, all else being equal. Because it’s a linear scale, where pH is logarithmic, titratable acid will show a bigger range in values vs. the corresponding range in pH.

Here’s some more detail.

http://www.wineperspective.com/the_acidity_of_wine.htm

in for 2!

The Acidity of Wine

Total acidity is reported as grams of tartaric acid per 100 mL of wine.

In the U.S., the total acidity (TA) of a wine is measured assuming all the acid is tartaric. This allows one to determine a value for total acidity that is consistent. A high TA is 1.0%. Most people would find this level of acidity too tart and too sour for consumption. A low TA, say 0.4%, results in flat tasting wine that is more susceptible to infection and spoilage by microorganisms. Most red table wines are about 0.6% total acid. White wines are usually a little higher.

A typical premium California Chardonnay has a total acidity of 0.58 grams per 100 mL (0.58%) and a pH of 3.4. It is interesting to compare these values with a total acidity of 1.10 grams per 100 mL (1.10%) and a pH of 2.91 found in a late harvest Johannisberg Riesling with 21% residual sugar. Generally speaking, sweet wines require a higher acidity than table wines to balance the high sugar.

2004 I assume is drinking well now, how will this develop in the next 5 or so years?

I love mountain cabs, but SIWBM stands, especially for black tie buys.

Ooooooooooh Mount Veeder AND Spring Mountain!!!

I so wish I wasn’t underemployed at the moment. I would jump so so high.

“TooOldButNotTooSlowForThis” beat me to the punch. It’s a great paper on wine acidity both on balance and development.

We tasted the Mt. Veeder on this summer’s rpm tour during our visit to Buena Vista. It was, to me, very well made, with good dark fruit, nice balance and a tasty finish. I recall others being impressed as well. The price here is a LOT less than we were offered at the time.

One thing we didn’t ask was, are these now in the optimal drinking window, and how long can these be held? I hope the winemaker chimes in.

Seriously considering.

$35 for good Napa cab. The hole in the pocket is telling me to sleep on it but I think by the light of day I’ll be pushing a large button. Atlas Peak mmm…

i couldnt wait. im mostly waiting for black tie monkey sipper offers now

Well, I’m hovering over the yellow button, I need some more convincing I think.