Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon (2)

Atlas Peak Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$89.99 (Normally $184.00, 51% off List Price)

2005 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, Spring Mountain District
Cellar tracker link above

Previous offer (different year):
Spring Mtn 3 pack on 12/15/12 with 2006 Spring Mtn
Atlas Peak 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon - 2 Pack on 11/17/10 with 2004 Spring Mtn

Winery website

2005 Spring Mountain Napa Cab…ding, ding, ding, we have a winner folks!!

Awww crap had to do it…

So whadda you two know?

[edit] Hey! I’ve got the '06 and didn’t know it!

I so want to be all over this but absolutely should not. So today I will keep my money. Remember when we got the 04’s about 3 years ago for $35 a bottle shipped. That was awesome!

Edited for truthiness.

This is awesome mountain cab. Have not had the 05’ but the 04’s are big mountain cabs, very tannic but will settle down with some air.

It looks like Wine Enthusiast liked it a lot:

All I know is I love mountain cabs from great/good vintages :slight_smile:

Not the greatest CT reviews for the 2003 and 2004. Just 89-91 and comments weren’t that compelling either. Would expect a lot more from a Mtn Reserve Cab. Any tasting notes to refute the mediocre CT comments/scores? I still have 3 bottles left of 2005 Atlas Peak Mt. Veeder I bought for $35 each from WSpies and I’m not excited to open the other 3. Checking my 2012 notes, it was a little thin, green and unbalanced for my taste. Okay, but even at $35, I would not buy again especially at $85 retail. Want good Mtn. Cab under $100, go buy a Dunn, Togni or CADE Howell Mtn (PlumpJack). Many others at this price point too!

It’s sad when an 89 and 91 scores are considered not great. :wink:

Which wine glass did you use to drink out of? I’ve found that there are some that you get more green tastes with.

Cellaring time left?

And the Search feature would be handy about now, since I haven’t been updating CT with new WW stuff, because I haven’t entered the wine club shipments to get the total for the contest. Whew! Try saying that fast three times!

Trying to figure out if I got the 2004 & 2006 so I can make a Vertical!

Go Go Gadget Wine.Woot Search Feature!

Edit: Okay, have the 2006 (set listed above). Now to try to find the 2004, which will probably be a no, since that was back in 2010. Which should have been entered in CT if I got it. And it isn’t showing there. :frowning:

And, I’m in.

Also have the '06. If anyone locates the '04 - let me know!

Speed to first woot: 4m 16.996s
First sucker:tytiger58
Last wooter to woot:dalematthew
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

I had to. I remembered this one came up a bit over a year ago when I was buying wine like gang-busters and I wanted to sleep on it…it was gone by the time I woke up.

I haven’t bought wine (outside of wine clubs) in over a year, but I had to pull the trigger on this one. I have the 07 last year for our anniversary and it was so beautiful.

Did I misread?
TT told up search was back up again before she left on here vaca.

She back yet?
Miss her.

Atlas Peak makes some very fine Cabernet.

2005 was a very good year, the sort to lay down for 10 years minimum from vintage.

What’s not to like here? If you really want immediate drinking, this wine may well be in its ‘dumb’ phase: the period in the life of serious Cabernet when the bloom of the fruit at initial release has passed, but the wine has not yet fully ‘knit’ remaining fruit with the more complex aromas and flavors that come with bottle age. An awkward stage for many wines and the reason most people used to say California wines did not age well: they didn’t wait long enough.

Interestingly, before Prohibition (as rpm Tour participants will recall) some California producers routinely held premium Cabernet until it was 10 years from vintage before releasing it to market. One could actually purchase aged premium California wine more easily in 1913 than one can today!

Most of the time on woot lately, we’ve been seeing 2008, 2010 and newer wines. These are not the years you are looking for in premium Cab. Mostly not even 2006 (though there were some spectacular successes, such as Peter Wellington’s 2006 Victory).

We have seen 2005 a few years ago, we saw lots of 2007, and the past year we’ve seen some 2009. Hopefully you followed my advice to lay down Cabernet from those years.

I would give these wines a minimum of 2 more years in the cellar, and then try one to see how they’re developing.

If you’ve got the dosh, put in on this, not 2008 or 2010 slosh. I did.

Search was restored at least a week ago. Just checked, and it’s still working.

If it were down, one could still search using Google, by prefacing the search string with a site designation. For example:

Click here for demonstration.

Holy Black Tie Batman !!!

In for 2. I Checked my notes on the '06 and was impressed. I have some '04 Juslyn Spring Mountain that is drinking wonderfully now so this is a no-brainer for me.

Loading up on Mountain Cabs is becoming almost as addicting as drinking them… :slight_smile:

I just finished my 2006 this past weekend. While still buzzing I ordered 6 more online.

Can anyone compare the '05 and '06 to help convince me I need to get some of this too?