Audio-Technica Headphones

For somebody who probably doesn’t have any “matching” sound system nor sources, are these really any noticeably better than say… $20 headphones?

Specifically, my PC uses a sound card that may be a few notches better than integrated sound, but not that much.

Other devices include a $200 Chromebook, $200 win10 laptop, Ipod classic, and Galaxy s4, and Ipod Touch 5.

The one thing that does seem to be applicable for me is the “cupped design”. Would be nice drowning out ambient noise and chatter while watching videos in public, and studying.

I haven’t looked in a while, but headfi had the (older, supposedly same sound per input above - thanks folks :slight_smile: ) -M50 rated the best sounding under something like $350-500 (i.e., you’d have to spend that much to get better sound). And they sound much better than any $20 headphones I’ve owned.

The best $20 set I’ve had are Koss KSC-75, and they are nice for $20 provided you have a fairly silent listening area - they sit on your ears and outside sounds leak in pretty well.

I also have a set of Sennheiser HD-280pro’s (anywhere from maybe $80-100 on normal sales), and the -M50 is much better in my opinion.

Here is a thread I started years back on how I came to buy the -M50: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133277&p=3734256 It covers pretty much every speaker and headphone I’ve owned (many from Woot)

Oh yeah, found the link for the top headphones at: Top 10 Headphones: Our Carefully Curated Selection – Headphones.com

One other to consider if price is more important - these weren’t bad for ~$25ish, with some commentary and comparison to others I’ve owned: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1245647&p=26956003

For people liking un-flavored sounds (audiophile)
buy Klipsch STATUS Over-Ear Headphones (Black) | BuyDig.com

Until you get into Bowers and Wilkins P7 or above ($400 plus) you can’t come close.

Yes you MAY get one that will have a problem with left ear going out eventually - Klipsch will send you a new replacement.

I have senns, hifiman, BW, Grado, Sony, AKG, etc… some many generations going back decades (60s)

for the $80 you can get the Klipsch Status - you won’t find a better sounding somewhat portable.

This all presumes a HQ lossless source.

Go buy some $6-$15 panasonic buds.
amazon or most big box brick and mortar.

Finally received these in the via Fedex, was little bit worried since new/open box.

Nope, brand new and for $99, Absolutely fantastic!!

So received mine today but in the wrong color. Ordered white and they sent me black.

Oh man, sorry for the mix-up! Please send an email to support@woot.com with your order info and issue; CS can get things worked out for you.